Author Topic: 'Orange Sherbert' mango polyembryonic?  (Read 28664 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 'Orange Sherbert' mango polyembryonic?
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
Interesting. It sounds like there is a minute possibility that it's true? Rob, when you find out whether they've been released can you let us know?

Last time I checked it was not set for release in the near future.  From what i was told, it was not propagated for sale either.  There are some l egal implications that will prohibited the timing of any potential release for sale.  I cannot even guarantee it will be released for full sale (versus limited release ) but i expect at some future point there will be some availability.   As Jeff said, might be next year might be in two years.   IThere are multiple factors that will effect its release.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »
Some of you folks have tried OS.  If so does it appear like LZ?  Can someone post a picture?

Behl I have a pic of one some years ago in gardenweb. I forgot what it's code name was O2, J12, E4?? it's smaller than LZ if I recall can't find the pic.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
Some of you folks have tried OS.  If so does it appear like LZ?  Can someone post a picture?

Behl I have a pic of one some years ago in gardenweb. I forgot what it's code name was O2, J12, E4?? it's smaller than LZ if I recall can't find the pic.

G-32 is the number.   Yes, smaller than LZ.  Shaped like a slightly larger PPK.   LZ is truly a better mango between the two.  I used to say OS was but after years of eating both picked and ripened properly,  LZ is a better fruit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:09:29 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
Yah, LZ trumps OS in flavor and size.

I would still plant one if given the opportunity. Hoping my OS seedling topwork will bloom next year.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »
"I think I've explained this once before. The current lemon zest was originally named 27-1. Then it was named lemon zest. I tried it in 2009 under the name lemon zest. It was then renamed and originally propagated as orange sherbet. Another mango, which I think was from the same original set of seeds that the lemon zest came from, was found to taste the same as the lemon zest but be more productive and they decided the name orange sherbet was better suited for it and for the 27-1 to go back to its original name the lemon zest. Last I heard, they were planning on patenting the orange sherbet. Not sure what the status of that is."

Not quite.  The original 27-1 was named orange sherbet.   It was propagated with "OS" written on the pot.  They then decided that anogher mango. G-32 had more orange flavor and it became orange Sherbert and they changed the name of 27-1 to Lemon Zest.   G-32, or orange sherbert as it was named, has never been propagated for sale.

No Rob. That quote was from a post I made a few years ago. 27-1 was originally lemon zest not OS.

Sheehan, you are talking from the timeline before anything was propagated, all in their experimental stage.  What i was referring to was after t h ey began propagating 27-1.  When they first started propagating it, it was known as OS, hence the reason "OS" was written on the pots of 27-1.   Then, they changed the name of 27-1 to LZ all the while some of them went out with OS on the pots however they were actually LZ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:10:25 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 10:25:12 PM »
Sheehan, you are talking from the timeline before anything was propagated, all in their experimental stage.  What i was referring to was after t h ey began propagating 27-1.  When they first started propagating it, it was known as OS, hence the reason "OS" was written on the pots of 27-1.   Then, they changed the name of 27-1 to LZ all the while some of them went out with OS on the pots however they were actually LZ...

Yup, exactly. A lot of people seem to think they have accidentally released OS trees because the pots say OS while what they have is the LZ. Some not very scrupulous nurseries have also been selling "OS" trees because the pots said OS.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »
What if we had an Edward Snowden out there leaking new Mango trees to the public and someone did have an OS out there circulating???

Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »
What if we had an Edward Snowden out there leaking new Mango trees to the public and someone did have an OS out there circulating???

Please take it to the Off Topic forum.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2015, 10:45:12 PM »
Picture of developing  OS hanging on the tree.

- Rob

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
I just received my OS today. It was on sale and I knew it was gonna be a bigger size tree. I needed another lemon zest anyways. If it's OS great, if turns out to be LZ, still great. What you guys think? Check out the leaves.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »

Holy shit. The trees defy gravity. should be easy to identify a true OS tree as the fruits hang up toward the sky.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »

Holy shit. The trees defy gravity. should be easy to identify a true OS tree as the fruits hang up toward the sky.

Touché.   You had me rolling on the floor.  Where is a freaking mod when you need them to fix it.  I sent a text to Sheehan but i guess he was too busy , oh wait, this is not the Off Topic forum. 
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2015, 12:28:48 AM »

It was just  a joke...for Gods sake lighten up and take that stick out your ass.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2015, 12:36:37 AM »

It was just  a joke...for Gods sake lighten up and take that stick out your ass.

Ahh yes, a poster boy for the military.  Pfff...
- Rob

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2015, 01:05:45 AM »

All you do is insult people....Your Forum name speaks volumes.....

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2015, 02:01:44 AM »
Fruit4me~ It looks like LZ to me. Of course, I am comparing Rob's picture of OS to my LZ. That's 2 cents worth of my opinion. Chris

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »

All you do is insult people....Your Forum name speaks volumes.....

You dont know shit about me or my "forum name"..  You were the one who made the initial instigating post.  I just gave it back to you.  Funny how some people can dish it out but cant take it.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2015, 06:48:24 AM »
My source, who claims to be a nephew of Zill, says the Orange Sherbet trees are not ready yet. Hopefully in the fall. He was just there a little over a month ago, which means he saw them. Otherwise, the answer to when I can get one would have been "no" rather than "they are not ready yet".

Is Shamus your "source"?
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »

Is Shamus your "source"?

His uncle Shamus McZill.   I have little interest in Orange Sherbet. You say Peach Cobbler is superior with a faint tangerine flavor and I am going by this. And got one to replace a Haden.
It would be a hoot if Zill is developing a superior version of Orange Sherbet and comes out with it in a few years. They can call it OS2. The name "Orange Sherbet mango" is a Pavlovian trigger phrase. Zill is bound to exploit this at some point. I would.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:15:44 AM by zands »

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2015, 09:30:17 AM »
If I understand correctly, It appears zill havent officially released the tree due to vigour and fruit quality issues. This screams backyard tree as opposed to commercial proposition to me, that aside however the seeds are polyembryonic which means they should come true to type, and enough fruit seems to have been going round that a few people are growing them. So surely in a couple of years someone will have a fruiting progeny that could be used as budstock that technically as a seedling isnt protected. Could this be sped up by grafting the young shoots onto mature rootstocks? I know zaiger does it with stonefruit and I have seen it done with citrus. just curious is all.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2015, 10:28:02 AM »
here is another twist. I called Zills this morning. I was told that OS does not even exist. its LZ only, there is no such thing as OS, really? what about the fruits circulating around each year?

Top Tropicals confirmed in writing that their OS on sale came from Zills.

Looks like we will not get true story, so I plan on pursuing other mangoes like Gulab Khas, now need to find source.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »
If I understand correctly, It appears zill havent officially released the tree due to vigour and fruit quality issues. This screams backyard tree as opposed to commercial proposition to me, that aside however the seeds are polyembryonic which means they should come true to type, and enough fruit seems to have been going round that a few people are growing them. So surely in a couple of years someone will have a fruiting progeny that could be used as budstock that technically as a seedling isnt protected. Could this be sped up by grafting the young shoots onto mature rootstocks? I know zaiger does it with stonefruit and I have seen it done with citrus. just curious is all.

The poor horse has been beaten to death, 10 times over.  Your reasoning has nothing to do with it.  I have hinted as to why (if you read through all the many posts in the many threads about the OS), the specifics are not relevant nor do I have any permission to reveal any details.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
here is another twist. I called Zills this morning. I was told that OS does not even exist. its LZ only, there is no such thing as OS, really? what about the fruits circulating around each year?

Top Tropicals confirmed in writing that their OS on sale came from Zills.

Looks like we will not get true story, so I plan on pursuing other mangoes like Gulab Khas, now need to find source.

This is a cheap marketing ploy lets go after the rare indian mango that have years of research behind them and do well in our arid climate

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
I'm thinking that looks more like a LZ.

I just received my OS today. It was on sale and I knew it was gonna be a bigger size tree. I needed another lemon zest anyways. If it's OS great, if turns out to be LZ, still great. What you guys think? Check out the leaves.

Jeff  :-)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »

where did you get it from? From the looks of the plant on how the top thick branches were cut, it looks like Top Tropicals. You said it was on sale, what was the price? looks 7G