Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 322436 times)

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1500 on: May 12, 2019, 12:31:18 AM »

Welcome here! In case you're not aware: you can get the persian mulberry in tree and bush form. Stay away from the weeping kind if you're looking for fruit production.

Thanks for the advice. I’m definitely looking for fruit.

I got a weeping one, because ... well ... never mind. Anyway, they get grafted high, like 5'-6' high, and then it's supposed to weep down from there. But it doesn't just do it, the weeping only happens if you carefully prune every branch every year. So the end effect is that the fruiting branches start somewhere up there in ladder territory and go higher. Plus you need to cover it with bird netting. Needless to say, I planted a bush form as replacement and that tree will come out once the bush has fruit. But 'til then I'm willing to do anything to get that fruit...

jsailor1

• Belle Isle
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:45 PM »
Hi, John here from Orlando Florida.  Have been reading on the forum for a while and thought it is time to join.  Started growing fruit trees about 5 years ago with the help of a friend from Melbourne Beach.  Starting to run out of space in my yard.  I have 3 more dedicated large spaces that had previous trees on it. 

In my yard now..
Plum
Grapefruit (Flame)
Brogden Avocado
Longan ( Bien Kiew)
Lychee ( Sweet Heart)
Carambola ( Sri Kemp)
Nam Doc Mai Mango
Keitt Mango
Glenn Mango
Lemon Zest Mango
Jaboticaba
Bananas and mulberries

tve

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
    • Intro post
« Reply #1502 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:26 PM »
Nice addiction you got going, jsailor  ;D Welcome here!

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 19, 2019, 12:39:58 AM »
I am so happy I found this forum. It will take me a few nights though to read it through.
My addiction is very new. Only 2 months old.
It started with an old mahogany tree that we had to take down (invasive root system).
Then I was looking for a new big front yard tree and I discovered a new fascinating world of tropical fruit trees.
Valencia pride was selected for the front yard, but there was some space left... So, I planted Kilo guava and Barbados cherry. And then the backyard: Maha chanok mango, Red Lady papaya and Mai 1 jackfruit. I am planning to pack some more in this small residential lot.

I live in Palm Beach County and buy from Excalibur.

Please bear with me if I ask not so intelligent questions. I am a nerd from a cold climate... I need some help with all these pests and tree selection. I am determined to keep my trees alive and fruiting.
At the moment I am fighting Sri Lankan weevils, mealybugs and something unidentified is eating my papaya leaves. Also, I see tons of spiders and I have no idea how to tell beneficial ones from pests.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 20, 2019, 10:10:04 PM »
My name is Abe, I take people fishing for a living. I love my wife, my dog, my family, and fishing in that order, and I love fishing for tropical fruit. I dream about planting and destroying my garden all day and part of the night. I love tropical fruit, rare or not so rare. I live in Biscayne Park, Florida. My homie Adam is on the forum and he started my obsession just over 3 years ago. He gave me most of what I have:

Pitomba
,pitangatuba,
cedar bay cherry
Achachairu,
lucs garcinia,
improved lemon drop
2 Kona sugarloaf pinnapple's
Machete ice cream bean
Seedling jack x chempedak from han sen
euginia calycina "nelita"
Ruby red guava
Lancitella mango
Key west “pantin” mamey sapote
Magana mamey sapote
Bears lemon
Navel orange “Valencia “

NOTE: None of my trees are taller than 6 feet...YET.

Chris_TGM

• Broward, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Thegreenman
« Reply #1505 on: June 02, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
Hey everyone my name is Chris, I'm a native of South Florida, and live in Broward County. I've been in the Nursery and landscaping industry here since 1989, I've grown many different tropical fruit trees over the years, as a nursery grower and landscape gardener. I owned and operated a small landscape design,  installation, and maintenance company for the past nineteen years, but I'm now employed full-time as a groundskeeper at a local retirement home, so now for the first time in many years have some extra time to devote to my own small garden. I grow and crossbreed many types of hot peppers as a hobby, and when I'm gardening you will always find me listening to the blues greats from BB King and Keb Mo to Stevie Ray and Joe Bonamassa.
See you dirtside.

Vince2543

• Learning Every Day
    • 🇺🇸 California Hacienda Heights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 04, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Good evening everyone my name is Vince,  I’m from southern Cali.  Just moved over to Hacienda Heights just a few years ago.  Just starting out into tropicals.  I have been reading and reading this forum the last 2 years and finally took the plunge to join.

It would be awesome to learn from and meet everyone here.

Thank you

Vince

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 09, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
Hello!

I currently do not have any fruit trees but with a new house I'm buying I plan on a good variety for my back yard. Years ago I raised mainly citrus - Minneola, Navel, Temple, Dancy, Red Grapefruit, as well as muscadines, loquat and several varieties of Florida peach and a couple of apples. They all grew very well and the fruit was superb. Never had any serious problems, just lucky I guess.

With my new house I will have the citrus varieties mentioned above and a mango or two and probably a Lychee. I really look forward to getting started and am fortunate to have several well-stocked nurseries nearby. Glad I found this forum as I know I will learn a lot here.

chuckliu

• Honolulu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 16, 2019, 05:26:38 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Chuck and I love tropical fruit :).

At the moment, I live in a condo in Honolulu, so I don't have any room to grow anything, but am very appreciative of being able to live here. However, I've had a lot of experience gardening back on the mainland.

My loves are primarily Durian, Mango, and Lychee. I do plan on moving back to the mainland at some point in the future, and have been spending a lot of time doing research on potential geothermal greenhouses that would allow me to grow these in a zone 5. If successful, I suspect I may be the first to pull off a Durian in Zone 5. I'm hopeful, given some of what I've seen with Japanese greenhouses growing mangos, and recently, a greenhouse grown Durian.

To help keep the dream alive, I present to you, a *potted* greenhouse grown durian in Okinawa: https://www.atpress.ne.jp/news/163015

Forester

• Gardener-experimenter from Russia USDA 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 16, 2019, 07:07:26 AM »
Hi guys, my name is Sergey. I'm from Russia. I grow various fruits and vegetables on my land, I introduce various trees and shrubs to our harsh climate zone, but my main hobby is dragon fruit and papaya, I am very interested to get results from these plants, I try to create suitable conditions for them and I believe in my luck!

CyndiUN

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 22, 2019, 07:35:57 PM »
I'm Cyndi and I live in So California in the middle of the Citrus Quarantine Zone for the HLB.
I decided I should think about getting a retirement Hobby and since I like to eat, maybe grow edibles especially fruits.
It's been an uphill battle getting plants to survive due to my lack of gardening experience but so far Dragon Fruit, Loquat, Surinam Cherries, some Avocados and some Citrus seedlings have survived several seasons. Since the local gophers are winning, every survivor has been in containers or inside under a grow light.
Any tips on growing Citrus & Mango would be appreciated.
I think part of my problem was the lack of consistent watering & fertilizer which I hope to solve with a drip irrigation system with a fertilizer injector.

Lonomakana

• Kaneohe, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 26, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
Hi all,

My name is Dann and I'm moving back to my family home in Kane'ohe, Hawaii.  I'm planning to make most of landscaping edible and add some fruit trees.   Would like avocado, soursop, araca-boi, and some small citrus but I'll have to see if these will thrive in my soil and climate.  We already have Okinawan Sweet Potato, Papaya, Kalo, Apple Banana, Prickly Pear Cactus, and a way too tall coconut tree.  Open to help from real people with experience on the wet side of O'ahu.

aloha, Dann

Mehidk

• Concord, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 03, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Phuong and I live in California (East Bay). I'm a graphic designer and one of the newest hobbies I've picked up the past few years is  creating my own little garden. I started simple with a few plants such as pumpkins, sunflowers and marigolds but now I've branched out to a variety of fruits, such as strawberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, etc. This year, I decided to try out tropical fruits so I now have 6 varieties of dragon fruit and cherimoya. I probably should have started out slow but I was so excited to see how many varieties of dragon fruit there were and got several more LOL.

I'm excited to have found this forum and I look forward to mingling with you all :)

TBedeezy

• USA, CA, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 03, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
Hello everyone!  So glad I finally joined the community.  Lurking for a while but now decided to introduce myself.  My name is Theo. Live in city area of San Diego in zone 10a.  Have gotten bitten with the idea of turning my yard into a reminder of my most recent trip back to the Philippines.  I appreciate all the knowledge that is shared here and hope to contribute as well.  My garden is modest at the moment brimming with young trees but hope to grow them with an ultimate dream of putting them into the ground some day. 

Gogu

• USA, GA Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: July 08, 2019, 09:38:35 PM »
Hi, my name is Charles, and I'm from Georgia(US). I like plants in general, but recently have started appreciating fruit more. Planted some pawpaws (Shenandoah, Overleese, and Mango) this spring, and they're looking good so far. In the future, I'd like to move to somewhere I can have a tropical fruit farm. Love how active this forum is and enjoy seeing the progress everyone is making. Hope we get along. :)

Tiny Jungle

• Orange County, CA USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: July 13, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Greg and live in Orange County California Zone 10B where we're almost always in a drought.
My addiction started about 4 years ago and I have somewhere around 130 fruiting trees, bushes, Vines, etc at my modest home. Even though it doesn't appear I have much room left I will continue to add to the collection. A short list of what I currently have goes something like this. Citrus, Mulberry, atemoya, cherimoya, lychee, figs, stone fruits, many sapotes, eugenias, jackfruit, persimmons, sapodilla, longan, avocados, mangoes, wax jambu, jaboticabas, luc's garcinia, many tropical berries and cherries, etc. I think you get the point lol. I'm here to learn and push the limits of my zone and to collect more fruits. After skimming through the site a couple times I've already learned a ton. Thank you!

chris_c

• US/CA/Central Valley/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: Today at 02:32:58 AM »
Hello All,
My name is Chris_C a newbie from San Joaquin Valley, northern CA.
Just about enjoying retiring life and taking an interest in avocados and some tropical fruits. Looking forward to learning from this wonderful group of people.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers