Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 194594 times)

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Creating an edible tropical meditation garden in Miami, FL
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #825 on: July 09, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »

Satya,

I got an Orange  Essence mango from my tree yesterday. Outstanding mango. I have it grafted onto three trees now :) If space is limited, you might want to go with Honey Kiss. OE is medium vigor but from what I have seen, doesn't stay small.

Keep in mind when you topwork onto an established tree the growth habit if the topworked variety tends to be different (usually more vigorous) than if started from a nursery grafted tree.  For prime examples, look at the towering sizes of the Honey Kiss and Pickering at Walter Zill's.

Would a nursery grafted Orange Essence grow slow and stay small, like Honey Kiss or Pickering? Pickering seems to grow faster than HK in my yard.  Is that unusual?

Yes OE bought at 3g from Zillís and eventually uppotted to 7g has grown almost like a bonsai so far, thick trunk with low branching but who knows may take off and grow vigorously any day soon, but so far it is behaving like it wants to be a compact tree.
I need Carla scions now, i have a branch of Fruit Punch that can be converted. Does anyone know about the origin of the name Carla for this mango? I would have named it Sweet sensation :)
Satya

clllocke

• Los Angeles 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 09, 2020, 04:33:52 PM »
I'm not a prolific mango taster, I've only tasted probably 20 different cultivars in my life, but I wanted to share some thoughts on a brand new mango I tried that I'd never heard of before.

Deimos, from Richard Campbell's Mangomen Homestead.

I received it in a shipped box a few weeks back, and had no idea what to expect, but I was overpowered by a delicious, sweet, citrusy... extremely BRIGHT flavor -- I don't know how else to describe it.  It was neck-and-neck with Sweet Tart for the best mango in the box.

According to Mangomen, it's a Myatrynat seedling that they're evaluating, and very excited about.  If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend you try it out, if only so I can get your (likely more-experienced) opinions on the matter.

--Jake

Mangomen deliver to California!?

johnb51

• USA Coconut Creek, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2020, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm not a prolific mango taster, I've only tasted probably 20 different cultivars in my life, but I wanted to share some thoughts on a brand new mango I tried that I'd never heard of before.

Deimos, from Richard Campbell's Mangomen Homestead.

I received it in a shipped box a few weeks back, and had no idea what to expect, but I was overpowered by a delicious, sweet, citrusy... extremely BRIGHT flavor -- I don't know how else to describe it.  It was neck-and-neck with Sweet Tart for the best mango in the box.

According to Mangomen, it's a Myatrynat seedling that they're evaluating, and very excited about.  If you get a chance, I'd highly recommend you try it out, if only so I can get your (likely more-experienced) opinions on the matter.

--Jake

Mangomen deliver to California!?
I didn't find Deimos on their Facebook.  Also, they didn't list Cecilove or Pina Colada for sale this year.  Their season has ended.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:42:08 PM by johnb51 »
John

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Creating an edible tropical meditation garden in Miami, FL
« Reply #828 on: July 18, 2020, 01:38:55 AM »
Wanted to share two wonderful Indian variety mangoes i tasted this week. The first was Bombay mango, a gift from forum member FLNative and it was my first time tasting this particular variety. The other one was Sonpari, a highly recommended Indian mango variety by Har.

Bombay had intense fruity aroma, almost akin to Glenn when i first got it and our car was smelling with this aroma as we drove from Delray Beach to our home. The mango though mentioned to have issues with powdery mildew didn't seem to be affected and the fruit as well was spotless, orange blush with yellow background color.

Inside was deep orange. The first one i had, had a uniform color , this one in picture had a deeper orange closer to seed.

This was an exceptional spicy flavor mango, and to me the taste trumped Kesar, Mallika , Suvarnarekha and Alphonso i have had so far. Closer to seed it had started to get too ripe and this tasted like a peach nectar to my wife, to me it tasted a bit medicinal in the over-ripe area. I guess it is peak flavor when not allowed to go over ripe and it can go overripe within a day after its ripe. Texture juicy and soft. No fiber except minimal close to skin. No uneven ripening. Overall extremely good tasting spicy flavor mango in my opinion.

Then next came Sonpari, again my first time tasting. It ripened over many days and turned to pale yellow color, even stayed in fridge for a few days while i returned from my out-of-state work....

And it was very sweet, could not get the spicy flavor until i reached the skin, did i let it go too ripe? but it had no over-ripe fermented flavor, no funky taste, but very sweet filling firm creamy texture. I could not compare the two, i felt Bombay had a better balance of sweetness and spicyness and Sonpari more candy tasting with no subacid flavor.

A video says way more than words, if you like visuals please watch the whole tasting here: https://youtu.be/wNaGkc1q3sc
Satya

johnb51

• USA Coconut Creek, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 11, 2020, 04:29:04 PM »
Providence mangos that look like freakin' footballs!  Large peach in comparison.  Full review to come.  (These came from my old house.  First year the tree had fruit.  Although allegedly Providence is very susceptible to MBBS, all the fruit was disease-free, super-clean, and some of the largest mangos I've ever seen.)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:45:02 PM by johnb51 »
John

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers