Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 90869 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #575 on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
My luc's just put out a new set of leaves... in February in Pennsylvania.   Greenhoused, of course.

Axel

• Hawaii Montane rainforest tropical zone (USDA 12b/13a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 15, 2020, 12:25:42 AM »
I planted 45 trees of Luc's garcinia about 2 years ago to complement my achacha trees, someone has since mentioned to me that they are slow to fruit and mediocre producers. is this true? DId I waste a bunch of space on them? So far these trees are strong growers even under neglect, and the roots go straight down, which is unusual as most trees in our climate are too lazy to go down given how much moisture is at the surface. But they're only a little faster than my regular mangosteens. Most artocarpus grow to 12-15 feet in a year in our climate, but the garcinia as a whole are significantly slower. Right now I seem to get about 2-3 feet a year with adequate fertilizer.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 15, 2020, 11:30:48 AM »
2 - 3 feet a year is extremely good. I've been getting about a foot a year, with a slight increase as they get older. With your growth rate, I wouldn't be surprised if you got flowers at the 4 year mark.

Fruit production doesn't appear to be bad. I'm getting somewhere around 40 fruits a year on an 8 foot tall tree.

They are indeed very hardy.

I planted 45 trees of Luc's garcinia about 2 years ago to complement my achacha trees, someone has since mentioned to me that they are slow to fruit and mediocre producers. is this true? DId I waste a bunch of space on them? So far these trees are strong growers even under neglect, and the roots go straight down, which is unusual as most trees in our climate are too lazy to go down given how much moisture is at the surface. But they're only a little faster than my regular mangosteens. Most artocarpus grow to 12-15 feet in a year in our climate, but the garcinia as a whole are significantly slower. Right now I seem to get about 2-3 feet a year with adequate fertilizer.
Jeff  :-)

Axel

• Hawaii Montane rainforest tropical zone (USDA 12b/13a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2020, 01:50:29 PM »
2 - 3 feet a year is extremely good. I've been getting about a foot a year, with a slight increase as they get older. With your growth rate, I wouldn't be surprised if you got flowers at the 4 year mark.

Fruit production doesn't appear to be bad. I'm getting somewhere around 40 fruits a year on an 8 foot tall tree.

They are indeed very hardy.

Is the fruit any good? 40 is still low but if it's only 8 feet tall that's actually pretty good. I hope our rain doesn't prevent them from setting fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #579 on: February 16, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
Guess you missed my previous post? This species looks like it's not going to set fruit in our very rainy climate. Three years in a row flowering, and only one fruit set. Now i find out that area of Mexico has very dry weather for many months when the plants are flowering.
Oscar

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: Today at 04:59:13 AM »
My 3 year old Luc's from seed I got from Raul. It is about a metre tall.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers