Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 179989 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #675 on: October 10, 2021, 01:19:13 AM »
this J12 seedling is looking really good.  it will probably flower for the first time this winter.  this tree has been such a good grower, I got a few more J12 seeds and planted them just this weekend. 

@spaugh I've never even heard of J12.  Where do you get these things?  Having fruit shipped from Florida or something?
And are you planning on top grafting, or is the seedling fruit itself good?

@Monty -- Man, I sure wish we lived closer to one another.  I have some Kent seedlings, but I want to graft Atualfo to them to make some of Simon's "super rootstock".  Unfortunately the seeds I planted from my honey mangos this year all rotted.  I hope you find a taker.  It's a shame when we can't get the "I have too many" folks together with the "I'm looking for" people.

The J12 is a zills mango someone sent Simon seeds years ago and we grew it here.  Its been named super julie I think. 

Brad Spaugh

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 11, 2021, 11:48:08 AM »
Hey Simon,

I will let you know in the future regarding the 0-15 mango. In 2020 I grafted it onto two mango seedling trees, one inland in Alhambra and another to my manila seedling rootstock at my HB location. I just planted my 0-15 in the ground this summer and it completed its first growth flush and is doing well. Planted it to the West of my Coconut Cream mango tree. (See 1st photo)

My Orange Sherbet mango tree on altaulfo, in 15 gallon, is just now finishing a fall flush. I Will likely have to move this to a 30" tree box since I am now out of room at my location for planting in the ground.

Johnny

<br /><br />
0-15 Mango Tree (10-4-2021)

<br /><br />
Orange Sherbet Mango Tree on Ataulfo (10-7-2021)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:52:52 AM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 11, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
Awesome Johnny,

My friend is growing O-15 and a couple of us are probably going to do a mini mango tasting at Leo Manuel’s house pretty soon. He received his booster shot and I haven’t visited him in some time because of COVID but it’s about time to reconnect with friends in a safe and responsible manner.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that my J12 fruit are significantly larger than Julie fruit I’ve had in the past. I added new drippers to my mango trees and they all probably got too much water so I’m hoping the flavor isn’t watered down too much. I’ve noticed in the past that when I over water, I get large fruit at the expensive of fruit quality(lower Brix and less concentrated flavor).

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 11, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »
I finally got to eat a few winters mangos.  The tree made a good sized crop this year.  Unfortunately the flavor isnt that great and the fruit have some other issues.  They are taking a really long time to get ripe on the tree and the skin is thick.  The inside of the fruit is nice and low fiber and it is sweet but theres no acid.  It tastes like a very plain mango flavor like kent or something.  I actually like the store kents better.  It does grow well and set fruit though.  But I think this tree will need to be top worked.  I dont even know how to top work a mango tree this size. 
Brad Spaugh

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 11, 2021, 10:33:25 PM »
That’s a bummer regarding the Winters mango. I remember several years back, I tried to get ahold of a Winters (20222) tree because the mangos had a really nice blush hanging from the tree. Great production makes it more appealing, but unspectacular flavor is a big turnoff.
I have a vigorous Manila seedling (Home Depot special) that I decided to topwork entirely over the next couple seasons. I could have lived with a vigorous mango tree that produced fruit similar to Ataulfo mango, but it delivers the most fiber filled mangos I’ve ever eaten. This tree got the Devito genes of the Manila mango clone apparently.  On the other hand, I have a Paheri, Sensation, and Okrung seedling trees that produced for the first time this year, all solid mangos that are a testament to their parentage. Maybe I will post details in the mango seedling thread.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 11, 2021, 10:48:17 PM »
Was jogging in downtown San Diego east village over the weekend and spotted this 20+ foot beast doing its thing. Largest I have seen in the downtown area. Sorry for the crappy pict.
<br /><br />

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 12, 2021, 01:51:02 PM »
I finally got to eat a few winters mangos.  The tree made a good sized crop this year.  Unfortunately the flavor isnt that great and the fruit have some other issues.  They are taking a really long time to get ripe on the tree and the skin is thick.  The inside of the fruit is nice and low fiber and it is sweet but theres no acid.  It tastes like a very plain mango flavor like kent or something.  I actually like the store kents better.  It does grow well and set fruit though.  But I think this tree will need to be top worked.  I dont even know how to top work a mango tree this size.

Let me know when you’re ready and I can top work it with one of the better varieties like E4 next year. I just need to find a source for E4 scions come next year. I have two small branches of E4 that were grafted last year but they didn’t grow much because I let them hold fruit. E4 is an amazing variety and early signs are that it is disease resistant and productive.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 12, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
We have an E4 seedling tree that looks really good here.  I dont know if E4 is poly or not but we could use the immature E4 seedling scionwood for top working maybe.  Im going to chop the winters tree down in May and then we can graft the new shoots in July with something better. 
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 13, 2021, 12:55:41 AM »
E4 is Polyembryonic but it can often have just a single sprout. I have an E4 seedling which came from a seed that only had one sprout and it’s growing like a champ. It is very vertical and split into 3-4 main branches at around 5 feet tall.

I also have two other E4 seedlings that I grafted onto other trees and they are also growing very well. Hopefully these seedlings will produce good fruit!

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 13, 2021, 07:21:58 AM »
Brad, I bought some Kent mangos from the store and they looked good but were bad. Most of them (bought case of 5 each) were already starting to go bad inside even though the outside looked really nice and ripe. I got 2 boxes and there were none that I could eat that tasted good, seemed to have a lot of fiber as well. Now I bought some Keitt from the same asian market and they were large ( 2 lbs each) and they were excellent tasting to me. No fibers, super sweet, I don't remember eating any that are better. I'm planning to grow out the 10 seeds of the Keitt with excellent taste.

sbtropic

• USA, California, Santa Barbara, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 13, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
How vigorous are Keitt seedlings? How long would it take them to fruit? I have a grafted Keitt that produces like a champ up here in Santa Barbara. My tree produces delicious large fruit. It is the only Mango tree that I have that does not require spraying for PM. PM is a big problem here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 13, 2021, 12:13:49 PM »
Brad, I bought some Kent mangos from the store and they looked good but were bad. Most of them (bought case of 5 each) were already starting to go bad inside even though the outside looked really nice and ripe. I got 2 boxes and there were none that I could eat that tasted good, seemed to have a lot of fiber as well. Now I bought some Keitt from the same asian market and they were large ( 2 lbs each) and they were excellent tasting to me. No fibers, super sweet, I don't remember eating any that are better. I'm planning to grow out the 10 seeds of the Keitt with excellent taste.

I havent tried any store mangos this year but in years past Simon was buying cases of kents that had a super high brix and were very enjoyable.  Its hit and miss.  Keitts are good but the seeds dont seem to grow well.  I think you are better off growing zills seeds. 
Brad Spaugh

sbtropic

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 13, 2021, 01:55:43 PM »
Brad, what is the best way to purchase some of Zills seeds or seedlings? Which ones are the fastest to grow and  or produce fruit?

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 13, 2021, 03:44:45 PM »
After numerous grafting failures this year from Florida purchased scions I finally broke down and bought a Sugarloaf (E-4) mango tree (See 1st photo) which will go into my greenhouse and provide many fresh scions for 2022 grafting. I Will graft E-4 to my Coconut cream and other mango seedling trees already in the ground. Being able to prepare and graft fresh scions from your own tree has given me a much higher success rate for grafting. I am really looking forward to trying this fruit in a few years.

Also just purchased two Pina Colada Mango Seedling plants that germinated earlier this summer from a seller on Ebay (See 2nd & 3rd photo). They are sold out now but as soon as I saw the new ad I jumped on it. These should also grow well in my greenhouse and the seeds are Poly. The original cost for the small seedlings was $25 each including shipping to California.

Johnny

<br /><br />
Sugarloaf (E-4) Mango Tree

<br /><br />
Pina Colada Mango Seedling

<br /><br />
2nd Pina Colada Seedling
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:56:22 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 18, 2021, 09:06:12 PM »
Was jogging in downtown San Diego east village over the weekend and spotted this 20+ foot beast doing its thing. Largest I have seen in the downtown area. Sorry for the crappy pict.
<br /><br />

See the 2 small yellow fruits; probably a HD La Verne variety. Needs top off and graft with bests of the bests.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: October 18, 2021, 09:13:07 PM »
After numerous grafting failures this year from Florida purchased scions ...

Which graft method you try? Cleft is good for pencil size branch and it's should be a very reliable method.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 18, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »
I bought some Kent mangos from the store and they looked good but were bad. Most of them (bought case of 5 each) were already starting to go bad inside even though the outside looked really nice and ripe.

From Mexico or farther away? Black color inside? Far away counties use different treatment and cause black inside.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 20, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Sprouts Farmers Market has been selling Keitt Mangos (mostly green with little color) the last few weeks.  The label says USA, - are these the Coachella Valley grown?  Has anyone tried them?  They looked too green for me so I passed on them.  I always pass when I see Tommys from somewhere in So. America.  Store bought Tommys are why some of my friends dislike mangos.

Tony

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 20, 2021, 05:23:51 PM »
I'm never eating a Tommy Atkins again.  You might as well buy a chunk of pine resin.  I found one Keitt at the grocery store recently.  It had pretty good color and ripened up ok , but they had probably just been put on the shelf.  Most were green as could be.

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 20, 2021, 08:02:42 PM »
Sprouts Farmers Market has been selling Keitt Mangos (mostly green with little color) the last few weeks.  The label says USA, - are these the Coachella Valley grown?  Has anyone tried them?  They looked too green for me so I passed on them.  I always pass when I see Tommys from somewhere in So. America.  Store bought Tommys are why some of my friends dislike mangos.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I bought some Keitt mangoes (both regular and the organic) from Sprouts 3x in the last few weeks.  Some had a slight yellow color and some were very green at the time of purchase.  It took a long time for them to turn color and soft to touch. The first batch I had to throw away because they were spoiled even they turn yellow.  I tasted the second batch  just 3 days ago, and they were ok, and already too ripe despite the green color;  the end toward the stem were sweeter than the other end and starting to spoil.  Definitely not as good as in August's.  I would not buy them again this late in future.  The third batch is still sitting on the counter and is soft enough to eat.  If you really really want to taste fresh mango badly, then go ahead but don't expect the quality like the prime season ones.

All the Best,
Grace

sbtropic

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 20, 2021, 10:35:49 PM »
<br /><br />

Some workers bumped my Keitt Mango tree today while we were trapping for gophers and this is what came off. I usually pick these a month or two from now. We will have to see how it turns out.

Try the Indian and Asian markets in LA. The quality can be much better. Every once in a while you find a store owner that loves a good mango and they order the best. The large traditional American supermarkets often don't know what a good mango is.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2021, 08:04:35 PM »
@Grace (Luvfig), thanks for the information on the Keitt mangos at Sprouts.  Glad I passed on the Keitts.   
@sbtropic, if the Keitts at Sprouts looked like the one on your photo - I would have given them a try (most were a solid green and hard)

My mango trees have been supplying me with a decent amount of mangos (Mahachanok, NDM, and Valencia Pride).  The Valencia Pride have been the biggest surprise for me this year. Three of the nine that I harvested had a strong coconut flavor.   I still remember the first coconut tasting VP.  I was sharing it with my neighbors and my first bite into it was, oh no, it has an off-flavor - a few seconds later, the coconut flavor came thru, followed by the sweet classic mango flavor mixed with the coconut flavor - very enjoyable.  My neighbors said it was much better than last years fruit.  From what I can tell, the early fruit on the lower branches had the coconut flavor and the fruit on the higher branches were the normal tasting VP.  Has anyone had Valencia Pride mango with the coconut flavor?

Tony
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:29:57 AM by UplanderCA »

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 22, 2021, 12:43:49 AM »
Hey Tony,

Reading through previous posts researching Valencia prides I have several times encountered people mentioning a coconut flavor to them. My fruit is still hanging on the tree and ripening here in Riverside (just starting to get red blush but no yellow yet) and ai am very excited to taste what I hope is a proper Valencia Pride and not the more stunted fruit I harvested in prior years.

As an aside, if you have any spare NDM or Maha seeds I'd love to take them off your hands!

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 22, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »
Hey Tony,

Reading through previous posts researching Valencia prides I have several times encountered people mentioning a coconut flavor to them. My fruit is still hanging on the tree and ripening here in Riverside (just starting to get red blush but no yellow yet) and ai am very excited to taste what I hope is a proper Valencia Pride and not the more stunted fruit I harvested in prior years.

As an aside, if you have any spare NDM or Maha seeds I'd love to take them off your hands!

Hello Victoria Ave,

Here is what a perfectly ripen Valencia Pride should look like (this is a medium size one) :

<br /><br />

(IMHO, i think that the Valencia Pride and Mahas are some of most visually appealing mangos)

Re: Maha seeds, I harvested the last fruit a week ago - all gone.  I have some late season NDM that will be ready in late November (I will save the seeds for you).  I may have some extra seedlings of Ataulfo, Kent, Gary, Honeykiss and Ceci Love available next spring.  They are growing in 5 gallon pots at the moment. 

Tony

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 22, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
Much appreciated Tony! I would be interested in seeds and seedlings!

Interesting that your Maha was done before others. I was under the impression Maha was a very late season tree.

My Valencia looks like it has a at least a couple more weeks on the tree.