Author Topic: AKME Gardens 2021 - Loquat Listings (Scions, Custom Grafting Services and more)  (Read 16491 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Due to popular demand and per the request of many, I am still making scions available for everyone.

In addition, we have exciting news as we are opening a Storefront in Foley, Alabama, with a hopeful opening date of March 1, 2021.  Renovations are underway at 1501 North McKenzie Street, Foley, AL, and we cannot wait to offer trees, plants, gardening supplies, teas, sprays, supplements, seeds, scions, health foods, café, music and more.  Once established, everything available in our store will be available on the website and eligible for shipping.

Taking Orders every day at Sales@akme.co or on our website at https://AKMEGardens.com

Scion and seed collections are made on Mondays and Wednesdays with shipments sent on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  We now offer all forms of shipping to reduce costs, and due to being established on Alabama’s coast, we can now offer shipping nationwide as well as to many countries internationally.

FREE Local Delivery for Baldwin County, AL, with any purchase of 50 or more.  Delivery also available to Mobile County, AL, and Escambia County, FL, for orders 100 or more.

We now offer Interest Free Payment Plans for all Custom Grafting Orders valued at $250 or more.
   •   180-Day Payment Plan - Orders $1000 or more qualifies for 6 Payments (25% down, plus 5 more payments)
   •   90-Day Payment Plan - Orders $500 or more qualifies for 3 Payments (40% down, plus 2 more payments)
   •   Same As Cash Payment Plan - Orders $250 or more qualifies for 2 Payments (50% down, pay the rest once complete)

ATTENTION: ***  Some larger orders, I will have to process on the weekends while I'm off work. Please be patient with me in both response time and output. You are all amazing, and if I fail to respond to a custom order request within 24 hours or so, send it again and make sure I did not miss it. I generally respond both day and night, but I can occasionally miss a message—just send another one.  ***

AKME Gardens Presenting:  LOQUAT (Eriobotrya japonica) VARIETIES

Advance  |  Avri  |  Benlehr  |  Bradenton  |  Champagne  |  Golden Nugget  |  'Harvest'  |  Kanko  |  Mogi  |  Novak  |  Oliver  |  Peluche  |  'Robust'  |  Sherry  |  Strawberry  |  Sugarcane  |  'Sunset'  |  'Viking'  |  Vista White  |  Wolfe  |  Yehuda  |  'Zesty'  |  Dwarf  #8 Interstock  |  Semi-Dwarf #7 Interstock  |  Seedling Stocks

Coming Soon . . .
Loquats:  Aiden  |  Argelino  |  Big Jim  |  Christmas  |  Ed's Delight  |  Massida  |  McBeth  |  National  |  Tori

Many, many other fruit tree types and varieties incoming soon.

SOLD OUT
Some items listed on the website as “SOLD OUT” may be available in limited quantities and are generally reserved for custom grafting orders.  Please contact me in the event you wish to check for availability of items you cannot find on the site directly.

DISCLAIMER
In response to the global pandemic of SARS-COV-2 causing COVID-19, I’ve implemented additional steps to ensure our safety and yours while conducting business. I disinfect all tools, materials and items with an EPA industrially approved virucide called Virex II which can kill any traces of coronavirus in under a few minutes to keep all parties safe during transactions.

SCIONS
Loquat scions you obtain from me can be grafted onto your existing trees or any designated rootstock, or I can custom graft them onto a seedling or even make a cocktail tree for you. I will rate their value based on availability, difficulty to obtain (as some of these will require distant travel, a ladder and certain tools, or boon equipment to acquire), along with rarity and demand. Values are subject to change and become either lower or higher based on these factors, and updated on the AKME Gardens website.

Every individual scion is carefully examined, collected, tagged, isolated, washed, scrubbed, de-leafed, treated, hydrated, re-inspected (for diseases, rot, infections, pests, contaminants, etc.) and safely stored. Scions never contact scions from alternate trees to prevent mix-ups and cross contamination. The scions are individually bagged with an identifying label and secured with a heavy-duty wrap and bubble cushion prior to shipment. All Large scions are 1 foot (12 inches) or larger, Medium scions are 6+ inches, and Small scions are always 4+ inches or larger.  Large scions always have a fruiting or foliage tip from a mature fruiting tree as a bonus.

If you want specific calipers for your scions, you must specify at the time of ordering.

SEEDS
I have seeds of most varieties available between April and June each year. Be advised that the actual fruit of a seedling will not be the same as its parentage, but many physical properties of the tree’s genetic markers may carry over, such as size, growing patterns, prolificity, resistances and tolerances. Also, actual fruit does tend to be similar in many regards and may even have an improved flavor if you are fortunate.

Every individual seed is carefully harvested, examined, isolated, washed, scrubbed, de-pulped, treated, re-inspected and safely stored—yes, every single one, individually. Seeds never contact seeds from alternate varieties to prevent mix-ups. Only the best seeds are selected, and anything not meeting our strong standards is discarded immediately. Seeds are disinfected and wrapped in such a way that they are not touching during shipment to reduce the chance of mold spreading.

If your seeds have already germinated prior to shipping, I will upgrade it to a biodegradable seed starter pouch, and you will receive a small plant rather than a seed. This is not common, so if it happens to you, just be thankful that good fortune has smiled upon you.   :D

Seeds are only available from April until June each year, and all remaining seeds are then germinated into saplings.

ROOTSTOCKS
You may purchase germinated seedlings as rootstocks, or larger, vigorous Wolfe/Golden Nugget/Advance/Viking/Kanko/etc Parentage Seedlings. Rootstocks can be utilized as a grafting base for your scions, or you can have me customize a cocktail tree for you if you do not mind the wait. Most of the younger, ungrafted seedlings are Viking x Peluche, Advance x Harvest/Champagne, Robust x Kanko/Sherry as well as some Dwarf and Semi-Dwarf starters. Please note, the tree heights listed are prior to any custom grafting which takes place--provided top working is performed. If you buy a germinated sapling, you may request some of the parentage crossings you see above. Please add an extra 10% for intermediate parentage variety rootstock types requested, such as: Dwarf #8, Semi-Dwarf #7, Robust and Advance—limited availability.

Please specify when ordering whether your tree is going into a full sun or part sun area. I keep both green bark trees for lower light conditions and lignified bark trees for full sun conditions as an added convenience to you. Unfortunately, I do not have any green barks over 7-gallon sizes, as anything 10g or higher will be mature and have aged bark. Good news, however, is that an aged bark tree can handle both part and full sun.

The careful planning these trees receive, and the control of their parentages makes them an invaluable source for genetic diligence and expectations. You know what you are getting and can have peace of mind.

•   300 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (10-16+ feet tall, Instant Fruiting Orchard, "You Can Have Whatever You Like" Multi Variety Grafting Size, 3"+ caliper) – 1239 (SOLD OUT)
   •   100 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (10-14 feet tall, Instant Fruiting Orchard, "Go Crazy" Multi Variety Grafting Size, 2 1/2" - 2 7/8"+ caliper) – 789
   •   65 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (9-10 feet tall, Fruiting Established, 25+ Multi Variety Grafting Size, 1 3/4" - 2 1/4"+ caliper) – 459
   •   30 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (8-9 feet tall, Mature, 20+ Multi Variety Grafting Size, 1 1/2" - 1 3/4"+ caliper) – 259
   •   15 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (7-8 feet tall, Mature, 15-20 Multi Variety Grafting Size, 1 1/4" - 1 1/2"+ caliper) – 179
   •   10 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (6-7 feet tall, Mature, 11-14 Multi Variety Grafting Size, 1" - 1 1/4"+ caliper) – 119
   •   7 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (5-6 feet tall, 8-10 Multi Variety Grafting Size, 3/4” - 1"+ caliper) – 79
   •   5 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (4-5 feet tall, 5-7 Multi Variety Grafting Size, 5/8” - 3/4"+ caliper) – 59
   •   3 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (3-4 feet tall, 3-4 Multi Variety Grafting Size, 1/2” - 5/8"+/- caliper) – 49
   •   2 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (2-3 feet tall, 2 Dual Variety Grafting Size, 3/8” - 1/2"+/- caliper) – 39
   •   1 Gallon Seedling in High Quality Fabric Container (1-2 feet tall, Single Variety Grafting Size, 1/4"+/- caliper) – 29
   •   Newly Germinated Dwarf or Semi-Dwarf Seedling (4-12 Inches, *Not a Grafting Size*, Sapling Caliper) – 19 *** Dwarf or Semi-Dwarf Must Be Specified If Desired *** (LIMITED)
   •   Newly Germinated Cultivar Seedling (4-12 Inches, *Not a Grafting Size*, Sapling Caliper) – 15 *** Parentage Crossings Must Be Specified If Desired ***
   •   Newly Germinated Random Seedling (4-12 Inches, *Not a Grafting Size*, Sapling Caliper) – 9 *** Unknown Generic Loquat Seedling ***

CUSTOM COCKTAILS & GRAFTING SERVICES
You may request a custom cocktail tree on any of the available rootstocks. I am very meticulous and artistic with my grafts and will make sure they are carefully positioned with future growth vigor in mind. Additionally, you might occasionally get photographic updates when an action is taken on a cocktail tree you are waiting for as time and weather permits.  Due to volume of orders, however, I cannot guarantee ongoing photos on demand, but will certainly try when I can.  I have been told I’m the only person making custom multi-grafted trees built to order, so please understand I have received an unexpected number of requests since making this unique service available.

I put a lot of careful planning and effort into grafting your trees with viability, growth and aesthetics all in mind. I am also very careful with keeping clean surfaces.  All tools are washed to prevent cross contamination, and scions and trees being joined together are treated so nothing spreads across surfaces.  I inspect every tree and scion for any trace of diseases, weaknesses, pests and infections.

While a few grafts are more common, placing a dozen or more varieties on a larger rootstock is not out of the question for those wanting extreme diversity in a small space. If you want it, I can make it happen. Just please be respectful of the size of the tree, and if you are leaning toward whether you should upgrade or not, always lean toward the upgrade.

My rate is a flat 15 dollars per single grafting procedure per purchased scion (if you'd seen what I go through with some veneers, you'd ask why I don't charge more    :o ;D ). If you research the costs of single grafted named cultivar trees, then you will truly appreciate the value of my grafting services—especially if you are an avid eBay shopper. Plus, I am housing your cocktail tree, and moving it around constantly for adequate lighting, moisture, treatments and inspections for many months. I must use ample supplies, wear on my tools, personal time and planning, etc. Please be respectful of this modest expectation for my efforts, and imagine the look a barber would give you if you tried to barter with his set rates in the barber shop.  :o  ???  ::)  :blank:

Please allow 6-12 months for me to process custom grafting services from start to finish.  Sometimes, I can have smaller orders ready more quickly if the tree responds well, but trees and scions can be unpredictable.  In addition, if you order a tree requiring a lot of grafts, I must place them on 2-3 at a time in given intervals over the course of weeks or months to not overstress and kill the tree. Very large projects could take longer than 12 months to complete.  Also, prior to shipping custom grafted trees, I provide them 2-3 weeks of low light conditioning, so they do not shock during transit and absciss any branches.

Also, as the 2020 season taught me, unforeseen acts of God, such as hurricanes or extreme heat waves, can cause delays, failures or damages; and while I will do everything in my ability to correct and replace your trees, scions and grafts at no extra charge (as I did after Hurricane Sally devastated us with a direct hit in 2020), I do ask that you are patient during such events and try to avoid asking for updates every few days on a project which takes months.  I ended up with a far larger customer base than anticipated once we transitioned online last year.  I communicate via email, phone, text, PM’s, social media, etc., when time allows; and while I appreciate everyone wanting an update constantly and instantaneously and feel like they are the only customer, the reality is—they are not—please be respectful of that fact.  I work in the healthcare/medical field by day and am “Plant Man” by night and weekends, while managing an occasional family life with my wife and children—so go easy on me—I will very appreciative and thankful if you do.

I do not ship custom grafted trees until I am sure the graft union is certain with 2 or more (non-deceiving) flushes—but can (reluctantly) ship it at any time if you demand it—loquats are resilient after all. If any graft or tree fails while in my care, however, I will replace the scion and redo the graft at no extra charge. So technically, I am including some insurance while trees are in my care.  If you demand the tree sooner (against my advice), however, and the grafts fail due to premature shipping or while within your care, I am not going to take responsibility for that decision.  I will gladly walk you through grafting some scions on it yourself if you are new to the process.

I understand you are trusting me to craft your tree, and you are investing into these projects; but I am also investing my time, skills, efforts, labor and materials for the convenience of making custom tree art possible. That said, please do not demand deadlines, harass, rush, bash or threaten me (my company or ministry), including on social platforms (yes, a few people have done this), when you become impatient with your project. I am very quick to offer a refund when this occurs, and it is of no concern to me, as a long line of others will gladly snatch the tree up in a heartbeat when it is finally ready.

I will always contact you before shipping your trees to make sure your local temps are safe, you are present to receive the package, and your contact and address information is still accurate.  All orders now process through the website, including custom tickets, and tracking information will be generated and automatically sent to your email once the label is printed.

If you want specific grafting styles performed, please specify cleft, wedge, whip and tongue, veneer, etc., otherwise I will simply choose what I feel is best for the size of scion and location on the tree. You can also opt in for approach grafting if you wish to co-join two or more rootstocks. Also, you may request a photo of your selected tree and instruct me precisely how you want it grafted if you want more control over the process.

I will perform local grafting services and travel to your property and graft to your trees directly provided you are within Baldwin County or at a reasonable distance from the county (preferably less than 2 hours from Gulf Shores, AL—I cannot stand driving long distances!). I do not have a pricing plan for this service, so perhaps you can make an offer to make it worth my time. If you're really serious about it, I believe I can fly (  ;D  ;D ), but you better reach deep and fire up a grill for those ribeyes if you want me traveling to that extent. I suppose anything is possible if you make it worthwhile.  ;)  Traveling grafting services would only be available on weekends.
   •   Customized Cocktail Tree Grafting Service – 30 extra per (up to 3) scion grafting procedures (Single Variety, up to 3 Graftings) – Save money by having a Large scion cut into 2-3 pieces and placed on same tree
   •   Customized Cocktail Tree Grafting Service – 15 extra per scion grafting procedure (Single Variety, 1 Grafting)

LEAVES (TEA & FOLIAR SPRAY)
You can make an extremely healthy Loquat Tea out of the leaves, use them as very nutritious mulch for your trees and plants, and use them to make vital foliar plant sprays, etc. I will be working on a way to offer Leaves and Loquat Tea Bags for certain varieties soon and hope this will be exciting for you. If I catch a high demand for it, I will make it happen sooner rather than later. Progress has been made for these services and will be made available soon.

Update:  We are now awaiting approval for our line of Loquat Teas and sprays and will make them available on the shelves of our Storefront and online soon.

FRUIT
The fruit is great for jams and can be frozen and eaten as an icy or chilled snack. Many people want to taste the varieties before they splurge on scions and trees, and I want to make this a reality. I have discovered a way to make these available while in season, and we will be prepared to offer all varieties we sell in the upcoming season. We will prep the fruits by cleaning them, removing the seeds and making them ready to pop into your mouth upon opening. We will vacuum seal the fruits, freeze them, and ship them on a combination of dry ice and ice gel packs to keep frozen during shipment. I will not be sending whole fruits, as their lack of shelf life will leave them mush upon arrival, and we harvest all the seeds. Any fruit sent will be identified as to the variety you are receiving. All orders containing fresh fruit will have a minimum shipping charge of 25 to cover all the shipping materials required to ship frozen fruit to your doorstep.
   •   Loquat Fruit, Mixed “Labeled” Varieties (Limited Time Only, While Supplies Last) – One Dozen Full Fruits (24 “Half” Pieces) - 19 (OUT OF STOCK)
   •   Shipping & Handling (Frozen Fruit) - 25, Minimum (This is non-negotiable due to cost of shipping materials for keeping foods frozen in transit)

FABRIC POTS
Seedlings, Cocktails or Tree Stocks which I ship, containing the custom-made growing medium I use, will come with very high-quality fabric aeration containers comparable to Smart Pots and have heavy duty handles for ease of mobility.  You can utilize these for the tree itself while it adjusts to its new environment or can simply use them for other plants if planted straight into the ground.

These fabric pots are far superior for root growth, eliminating dead zones in root systems, providing unparalleled drainage, aeration, containment of nutrients and additives, and can even be buried without risking exposure from inground pests and allowing supplemental roots to escape into the ground.

You may purchase as many fabric pots as you need for container culture or growing out your tree(s). I have all sizes available between 1g – 1,000g. The most common are 10-gallon and 30-gallon—which are perfect for loquats. I will never let Smart Pots beat my prices, guaranteed.
   •   Heavy Duty Fabric Pot with Handles (10 Gallon) - 7.99
   •   Heavy Duty Fabric Pot with Handles (30 Gallon) – 11.99

LOQUATS (Eriobotrya japonica)

ADVANCE
Flavor:  Fruit Juice
Fruit Size:  Medium
Fruit Type:  Translucent White, Melting & Very Juicy, Thick Skinned
Growth Habits:  Dwarfing, Balanced Canopy, Slow Growing, Prolific
Season:  Early to Mid
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Very Cold
Growing Zone:  8B or higher (9 is Perfect)
Positioning:  Full Sun, Part Sun
Special:  Extreme resistances to Fire Blight, Pests and other Diseases
  The Advance is a very old cultivar which is used as a base for pollinating other varieties for dwarfing genetics. The seedlings of Advance tend to retain much of its dwarfing, resistance, and tolerance characteristics, and make a superb alternative to Quince rootstock and avoids the reduced lifespan Quince stock causes. While its popularity died down commercially, Advance continues to be a popular backyard variety due to container growing, ease of care, bonsai potential and decent production. While not as cold tolerant and less flavorful than improved white fleshed cultivars, Advance holds its own for those wishing to retain the natural characteristics of the fruit tree. This is a true “plant it and forget it” type fruit tree for those who are too busy (or lazy) to deal with ongoing maintenance, as it requires almost no care at all.

AVRI
Flavor:  Very Balanced Sweet, Mildly Sugary with Some Tartness
Fruit Type:  Yellow-Orange (Must Tree Ripen), Dense & Juicy Texture
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarfing, Average Vigor, Balanced Branching
Season:  Mid to Late
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Pests & Diseases, Cold
Growing Zone:  8A or higher (9 is Perfect)
  The Avri has gained some popularity due to its sugary sweetness when left to ripen on the tree. If eaten prematurely, it will contain some tartness for growers wanting some sour flavors. As a result, many growers enjoy the diversity Avri brings, as the longer the fruit hangs on the cluster, the sweeter it gets. With proper timing, the desired sourness or sweetness can be attained. Fruits gain a lot of increased size when thinned and treated like other fruit types. The dwarfing growth of the tree makes it a great candidate for container growing or small backyard spaces. Avri grows slowly and is susceptible to wind and very wet conditions but does show some increased vigor on a strong rootstock.

BENLEHR
Flavor:  Refreshing, Juicy Green Grape/Apple Taste
Fruit Type:  White (Superb Shelf Life), Dense Texture & Peels Easily
Growth Habits:  Dwarfing & Ornamentally Balanced Canopy, Spreading Canopy
Season:  Early-Mid
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Heavy Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold
  The Benlehr was discovered by Charles E. Benlehr of Encinitas, California, and has proven successful in backyard fruit orchards from the west to the east coast. The strength of Benlehr is its ability to grow beneath other trees with indirect and part sunlight—very shade tolerant. As a natural dwarf, it makes for an excellent selection for container growing for enthusiasts with limited space for fruit trees. Several growers utilize it as an edible hedge, as it responds wonderfully to pruning and shaping—including espalier training. The flavor consists of a mix of green seedless table grapes and soft green apples, and the flesh is almost a clear to translucent white cream color and appetizing. If full clusters of fruit are removed intact, as you would grapes or cherry tomatoes, they will have an extremely long shelf life right on the counter and can be eaten when desired.

BRADENTON
Flavor:  Yellow Nectarine Taste
Fruit Size:  Medium-Large
Fruit Type:  Orange, Soft & Juicy Texture
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarfing, High Balanced Ornamental Canopy, Very Fast Growing
Season:  Early-Mid
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases
Growing Zone:  8B or higher (10 is Perfect)
  The Bradenton is essentially a large loquat that reminds you instantly of a small nectarine from the market. The tree grows remarkably fast to its mature size for a semi-dwarf, and the fruit hangs a long time before ripening. Once ripened, it perishes quickly and must be preserved or eaten within a few days. Bradenton is one of the least cold tolerant of all loquats and excels wonderfully in more tropical climates where it can achieve more than one crop per season. In tropical regions, some growers refer to this as the everbearing or tropical loquat. Not recommended for growers in chillier climates—even when container grown.

CHAMPAGNE
Flavor:  Balanced Sweet & Tangy, Complex & Addictive Taste
Fruit Type:  White (Wonderful Jam), Very Juicy & Dense Flesh
Growth Habits:  Balanced & Vigorous Canopy, Very Prolific, Ornamental Large Leaves
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Very Cold
Growing Zone:  7B or higher (9 is Perfect)
  The Champagne is an old cultivar from the early 1900s and is one of most flavorful varieties we have tried—very complex and spicey, like a zested champagne aftertaste. Our daughter, Hephzibah, will snack on these endlessly and is one of her favorites. The tree will stay balanced with a thickening caliper and looks wonderfully ornamental once mature. The fruit’s white flesh is sometimes translucent and has such a clean feel. The flavor is so intense, it makes an incredible jam and food additive in deserts and dishes. No garden is complete without a Champagne Loquat growing in it. We keep this amongst our most recommended varieties for anyone seeking a top-quality loquat.

ED’S DELIGHT
Flavor:  Delightfully Sweet, Purple Grape Taste
Fruit Size:  Large Round
Fruit Type:  White, Juicy & Firm Flesh
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarfing, Branching Canopy, Strongly Prolific, Fuzzy Growth
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold
Positioning:  Full Sun
  The Ed’s Delight is a small, heavily branched tree with fairly large, sporadic fruit. Named after a customer named Ed who stated “what a delight” upon trying it, the flesh is very sweet and reminiscent of sweet purple table grapes. The tree, due to its naturally fuzzy growth along the branches and leaves, does not seem to do as well in part sun and loves full sun positioning to avoid powdery mildew. Despite requiring full sun, Ed’s Delight makes an excellent container grown tree and keeps a lovely ornamental growth pattern. Due to heavy, sturdy branching and fresh growth tip vigor, it also makes a great candidate for grafting alternate varieties.

GOLDEN NUGGET
Flavor:  Sweet Apricot
Fruit Type:  Orange, Tender & Juicy, High Pulp
Growth Habits:  Very Vigorous Upright Canopy, Elongated Large Leaves, Heavy Branching Behavior
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Humidity, Cold
Growing Zone:  8B or higher (9 is Perfect)
  The Golden Nugget is a very common variety grown commercially by many nurseries. Unfortunately, many opinions waver about this variety due to many ungrafted seedlings being sold as Golden Nuggets, which tends to happen once a cultivar becomes commercialized. The true Golden Nugget has a larger, meatier fruit and tastes very similar to a Tomcot Apricot in both taste and texture. Unfortunately, this variety falls short around tolerances and resistances and is very susceptible to various pests, diseases and weather conditions—especially aphids, rust, blight, overwatering, sun scald and freezing. With proper care, however, the tree can become very ornamental with vigorous growth, heavy branching, and large leathery leaves. Most growers utilize it for grafting purposes due to its continuous formation of suckers and branches, and the support of its very large and strong limbs in maturity.

HARVEST
Flavor:  Honeydew Melon
Fruit Type:  White-Yellow (Heavily Clustered), Thick Melony Texture
Growth Habits:  Gorgeous Spreading Upper Canopy, Astonishingly Prolific (Highest Production Known)
Special:  Ultra-prolific white fleshed late variety
  The Harvest is a new and very sweet variety, and we are excited to now offer it. Clusters of fruit consistently weigh down the tips of every single branch—generally multiple clusters on each branch. We have yet to see a loquat as prolific as this one—especially with medium sized fruit. The fruit tastes like a sweet honeydew melon, and there are just so many on one tree, you simply cannot eat them all. The tree keeps a nice, spreading arc in the upper canopy. If you want a massive harvest per square inch of tree real estate, this is the one for you. Harvest has strong commercial potential, and most white fleshed varieties have issues with prolificity—not this one.

KANKO
Flavor:  Rich Syrupy Taste
Fruit Type:  Orange, Dense & Firm Flesh
Growth Habits:  Balanced Canopy, Extremely Prolific
Season:  Late to Very Late
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, High Shade, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Extremely Cold
Growing Zone:  7A or higher (9 is Perfect)
Positioning:  Part Sun
  The Kanko is known as one of the latest producing of the sweet orange varieties of loquats. Flavor is compelling and has a complex syrupy sweetness difficult to find in many sweeter fruits. The tree struggles more with extreme heat and direct sun unlike most loquats but is equally more adapted to cooler climates. Due to being such a late producer, it normally produces flowers after harsh winters expire and can deal nicely with chillier climates.  Canopy should be kept more open in humid climates to avoid succumbing to pests and diseases. Works well in a container but can reach a moderate size in ground with large amounts of fruit every year.

MICHAEL (MPJ-4)
Flavor:  Tropical Fruit Punch, Extra Sweet, Spicy & Complex
Fruit Type:  White (Great Shelf Life), Speckled Red Blush, Very Juicy & Crisp Flesh
Growth Habits:  Large & Vigorous, Balanced and Thick, Very Prolific, Huge Fruit Clusters
  Following the unexpected passing of Michael on June 27, 2020, at the age of 32, Adam officially named the formerly unreleased ‘SW-004’ to ‘Michael (MPJ-4)’ in honor and dedication to him for Michael’s personal favorite loquat. Survived by his wife, Jennifer, and four children, Elijah, Malachi, Jeremiah and Amalee, Michael was very picky with the fruit he chose to eat from the garden and would only go after the sweetest and most complex varieties. Michael helped to plant and cultivate many fruit trees in the AKME Gardens fruit orchards, including the very vigorous Viking Loquat. His favorite fruit of all was a ripened Honeycrisp Apple, and his dream was to have his ashes buried beneath a Honeycrisp Apple Tree and become one with it and the environment. We just did not expect it to happen so soon, and by dedicating this prized loquat variety to him, we help him to live on in our memories and share his love for special fruit with the world.
As a tree, the Michael (MPJ-4) Loquat is one of the finest and most complex tasting white fleshed varieties we have ever tried. It is impossible to eat just one, and it leaves a very refreshing and quenching tropical fruit punch flavor in your mouth. The tree becomes a thick and large size with vigorous growth similar to its Champagne x Wolfe parentages. The reddish speckles across the yellow fruit peels are aesthetically pleasing and makes for a nice ornamental appearance. Extremely prolific, the tree’s clusters are huge and rain down across the tree like giant grapes. By helping keep Michael’s memory alive through this tree, a portion of every purchase made from its scions or propagations will be sent to his wife and children in support for their family after this tragic loss.

MOGI
Flavor:  Mild Lychee Taste
Fruit Size:  Small-Medium-Large
Fruit Type:  Yellow, Occasionally Boxy or Odd Shaped, Super Juicy
Growth Habits:  Balanced Canopy, Moderate Vigor
Season:  Mid
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Mostly Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold
Positioning:  Part Sun
Special:  Highest known shade tolerance, great for fruit juices and fermentation for wines, unique fruit shapes, usually makes a second crop annually
  The Mogi is a rare Japanese variety which has been used mostly for drinks. Due to the high juice content and refreshing tropical flavor, these are the best for making fruit drinks or fermenting for delicious wines. Due to the native area where it originated, Mogi has developed an extreme tolerance to shade, and fruits prolifically no matter where it is planted in relation to sunlight and makes for possible ideal indoor growing conditions for northerners or beach front homes. Randomly makes odd-shaped fruits, which can be boxy, conjoined or even extremely large with clusters of seeds. Due to its similarity in taste and texture with lychees, many Asian restaurants incorporate the use of Mogi loquats peeled and sliced in halves to supplement or even replace the more costly lychees on their menus and buffets. Due to making secondary crops most years, there is a heightened value in utilizing this loquat commercially.

NOVAK
Flavor:  Sweetart Candy, Apricotty
Fruit Type:  Orange (Great Shelf Life), Dense & Juicy Texture
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarfing, Extending Canopy, Broadened Ornamental Leaves
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Pests & Diseases, Cold
  The Novak is a rare variety chosen by Charles Novak of Plant City, Florida, which carries a unique and complex candy flavor of sweet, tart, and sour tones in each fruit. The fruit tends to have random size variances with occasional moderately large ones—sporting a clean, yellow peel. Despite being quite tolerant of intense heat and humidity, the tree is more susceptible to high winds and overwatering. The leaves have a broad shape and are very ornamental. Flowers are very attractive and aromatic. Keeps an outstanding shelf life due to its tart and sour properties, and makes a decent pie, preserve or chilled snack. Novak is an excellent choice for container growing in patio orchards and has been known to occasionally fruit more than once in a season.

OLIVER
Flavor:  Exotic Plumcot Taste
Fruit Type:  Orange, Plum Texture
Growth Habits:  Balanced Ornamental Canopy, Semi-Vigorous, Leathery Leaves, Beautiful Flowers, Heavily Prolific
Season:  Late, Staggered Crop
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Cold
Special:  Extremely aromatic flowers for edible landscapes
  The Oliver, very common, has been deemed one of the best cultivars in the southeast, especially Florida, due to its unique flavor and great tolerances to rainy and windy climates with dense heat and humidity. Backyard growers and businesses with edible landscapes typically flock to the Oliver loquat to display its extraordinarily beautiful flowers and incredibly aromatic fragrances and super abundances of fruit. Requiring very little care, this is a great ‘plant it and forget it’ loquat for beginners. The leaves can be susceptible to ‘rust’ fungi and certain leaf pests and may require occasional treatment before flowering and again when new growth appears after harvesting the fruit. Has a nicely shaped canopy for grafting other varieties. The intensity of fragrances from the flowers are powerful enough to detect across a full acre of land from a single tree and is very pleasant.

PELUCHE
Flavor:  Soft Pear/Peach Combination
Fruit Size:  Jumbo, Largest Known
Fruit Type:  Yellow-Orange, Often Variegated/Striped Peel, Soft Spongey Texture
Growth Habits:  Very Vigorous, Fast Growing, Giant Ornamental Leaves
Tolerances:  Resistant to Heavy Drought, Heavy Shade, Heat, Pests & Diseases, Cold
Special:  Hybrid with largest known loquat fruit and extremely high pulp
  The Peluche is an extremely rare Spanish cultivar with the largest known loquat fruit created through careful hybridization of a large loquat with isolated pollination from another related species. Due to being a vigorous grower and highly ornamental with giant leaves, it has become one of the most sought-after cultivars in the world. Such qualities generally come at a cost, however, and one of those being fewer resistances than typical loquats. Peluche is more susceptible to wet and windy conditions, and overwatering will lead to russeting and occasional splitting of the ripening fruits. Contrarily, Peluche also excels in shady conditions due to giant leaves and handles high heat and drought conditions more efficiently than nearly all members of the Rosaceae family. Excellent for hotter and drier climates where pears and peaches may fail to thrive—and as an added benefit, tastes like a combination of both. Tends to maintain a vigorous growing mind of its own, regardless of the stock it is grafted to.. This is a must have for any loquat enthusiast.

ROBUST
Flavor:  Citrusy, Mild Sweet Kumquat Taste
Fruit Type:  Orange, Apricot Texture
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarf, Very Broad & Wide Balanced Canopy, Extremely Ornamental, Strong & Sturdy Structure
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Extreme Wind, Pests & Diseases, Very Cold
Special:  Super Stocky Caliper, Perfect Branching Behavior, Fantastic Foundation, and Beautiful for Bonsais
  The Robust is a foundation canvass which consistently has a very thick trunk, wide branching, and a near perfectly shaped canopy.  Upon discovering it, we realized it can be grown for either ornamental purposes or allowed to mature to a perfect shape for grafting all your favorite varieties onto its very thick branches.  Its own fruit has mild citrus undertones for flavor, but less potent than a sweet kumquat. This is the perfect tree for those wanting to avoid too much upright growth and feel secure that your branching is going to hold strong against fruit weight and extreme wind and weather abuse.  Grafting this onto a seedling as a topper stock is a good combination for a future cocktail base, however its seedlings are proving to keep the same girthy growth habits right out of germination. Upon maturing, a couple of these are great for a hammock. For those wanting a gorgeous container grown specimen or a potential loquat for a bonsai project, this one is perfect.

'Robust' Super Stocky Caliper

SHERRY
Flavor:  Refreshing Watermelon
Fruit Type:  Light Yellow (Great Shelf Life), Smooth & Juicy, Very High Pulp Content
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarf, Balanced Canopy, Fruits in Dense Clusters
Tolerances:  Resistant to Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold
  The Sherry is a common variety discovered by Hugh Sherry in Homestead, FL, in the 1950’s which contained one of the highest pulp contents of most known loquats with very small seeds. Due to the shelf life of Sherry, it makes an excellent fit for jams and for use in cooking recipes. The tree is semi-dwarfing and works well in containers and small spaces in backyard orchards—only reaching about 10 feet in width and 15-20 feet in height. The flavor is reminiscent of watermelon and makes for a great alternative when watermelons are not in season or available at the market. Refreshing and juicy, this is an excellent selection for familiar palatable goodness.

STRAWBERRY
Flavor:  Sugary Alpine Strawberry Sweetness, Fruity
Fruit Type:  Yellow, Strawberry Density and Texture
Growth Habits:  Balanced Canopy & Full Sized, Vigorous, Highly Prolific
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold
  The Strawberry gets its name due to its fruity alpine strawberry taste and texture. The trunk becomes quite thick and the canopy stays balanced in width and height. Due to Alpine Strawberries liking colder climates, owning this loquat becomes a great alternative for someone seeking to satisfy the flavors of sweet and wild strawberries not found in the grocery store. Strawberry does best planted in the ground, but can be grown in a container with appropriate pruning. Thrives well in part or full sun and makes a great ornamental tree for cornering landscapes in addition to a great tasting abundance of fruits.

SUGARCANE
Flavor:  Extremely Sweet Sugarcane Perfection
Fruit Type:  White, Speckled Skin, Heavily Juicy & Firm Flesh
Growth Habits:  Very Balanced Upright & Wide, Spreading Canopy, Giant Crisp & Clean Leaves
Special:  Superb Loquat Leaf Tea Flavor; “Rare Trait,” Seeds Have High Chance to Early Germinate in Fruit
  The Sugarcane is a very special and ultra-rare variety we discovered from a group of seedlings and wasted no time propagating it once it fruited. It has an eye-catching, naturally dwarfing, and balanced canopy shape with speckled colored fruit once ripened. Adam named it the moment he and Kristi both bit into the first samples and at the same time said “Sugarcane,” without a doubt. The leaves make the best tasting ‘Loquat Leaf Tea’ flavor we have ever tried, and they are clean, ornamentally large, vibrant, and extremely resistant pests, diseases, and elements. The seeds within most of the fruit we tested were already green, swollen and roots starting to emerge (not common), and promote the quickest and most successful germination rates. Sugarcane will be the highest quality loquat you can grow in a container with pleasing ornamental aesthetics, delicious fruit, and is ultimately perfect for the home orchard.

SUNSET
Flavor:  Ultra Sweet, Sugary, Refreshing and Very Complex
Fruit Size:  Medium-Large Teardrop
Fruit Type:  Deep Orange (Unique Dark Orange Skin), Thick & Juicy Texture
Growth Habits:  Very Vigorous Upright Canopy, Very Thick Trunk & Branch Girth, Abundantly Prolific
  The Sunset is a rare variety we discovered from a group of AKME Gardens seedlings. Not only is this the best Loquat we have ever tasted, we ranked it amongst one the best tasting fruits we have put in our mouths—even the lesser ripe fruits were sweet enough to enjoy. Sunset has a very nice, thick trunk, and vigorous upright growth with a gorgeous canopy. Seeds are small and aggressive with extraordinary germination rates. The fruit truly stood out with a dark coral orange array which we could not help but admire. Adam’s personal favorite loquat, Kristi named it ‘Sunset’ since such orange tones represent happiness and joyful moods reminiscent of a deep orange sunset in the evening.

Sunset's deep orange compared with Vista White

VIKING LOQUAT
Flavor:  Very Sweet Honey Taste with Papaya Undertones
Fruit Type:  Orange, Crisp Flesh
Growth Habits:  Ultra-Vigorous Upright Canopy, Highly Prolific
Season:  Mid to Late (Staggered)
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Coldest Known
  The Viking is a rare variety we discovered at AKME Gardens from a large group of carefully selected parentage and pollinated seedlings years ago. It was by far the most vigorous loquat tree we have encountered—having a stern upright growth pattern reaching 15-20 feet in under 5 years if left unpruned. The mother tree exceeded 7 feet in height in the first 10 months from seed, and flowered and fruited on 3 branches in the first season (only loquat we have ever germinated which fruited within a year from seed). Not only did its fruit turn out to be one of our favorites with a non-mushy honey-like flavor, but its seedlings have also consistently proven to be extremely vigorous and make astounding rootstocks. Vigorous, tolerant, tasty, resistant and withstands drought, high heat, low temperatures, flooding, and humidity—thus we named this loquat warrior the Viking. This is the coldest tolerant variety we know of and has the most vigorous growth we have ever seen on a loquat.

VISTA WHITE
Flavor:  Very Sweet, Sugary Once Ripened
Fruit Size:  Small-Medium Round
Fruit Type:  White (Excellent Shelf Life), Dense Flesh
Growth Habits:  Dwarfing Spreading Canopy, Very Prolific, Great Container Candidate
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Shade, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Cold

The Vista White has been gaining more popularity with home gardeners due to its small and compact size with good cold and shade tolerances. Ideal for container growing and tolerable of many indoor conditions. The fruit is relatively small in comparison to most cultivars but makes up for it with a great, refreshing flavor. The fruit forms in very dense and heavy clusters, and some thinning can help increase the size of the fruit. Clusters removed whole will keep a very lengthy shelf life and can ripen on the counter. Will work well as a bonsai project due to its dwarfing characteristics.

WOLFE
Flavor:  Very Sweet Nectar/Honeysuckle Taste
Fruit Type:  Yellow, Firm Juicy Flesh, Aromatic
Growth Habits:  Vigorous Balanced Canopy, Highly Prolific

The Wolfe is amongst the best flavored Loquat of all the older cultivars. Discovered during the 60’s at the University of Florida in Homestead, this Advance seedling showed incredible potential and became an immediate must have for gardeners. Having a great cold and shade tolerance, this one has proven perfect for the backyard grower. Seedlings of the Wolfe maintain nice vigor and make strong root stocks for grafting.

YEHUDA
Flavor:  Tastes Like a Golden Delicious Apple
Fruit Type:  Yellow-Orange, Crisp Flesh
Growth Habits:  Rapid Growth, Medium Sized, Balanced Canopy
  The Yehuda is an older, hard to find, cultivar which has proven tolerant of shade and colder climates, thus making it a very nice selection for backyard orchards wanting to push a loquat tree to the limits. Very easy to grow and requires little care. If you do not have enough chill hours to grow a Delicious variety apple, then you will enjoy this loquat which has a very similar flavor. The canopy keeps a nice and ornamental shape and will not disappoint. Can potentially ripen earlier in warmer climates.

ZESTY
Flavor:  Pleasant Piquant and Spicy Taste (Ultimate “Pie” Loquat)
Fruit Type:  Yellow-Orange (Highest Quality Shelf Life), Crisp & Refreshing
Growth Habits:  Vigorous, Perfectly Balanced Canopy Shape, Highly Prolific
Season:  Mid to Late (Prolonged)
Tolerances:  Resistant to Drought, Heat, Humidity, Wet, Wind, Pests & Diseases, Very Cold

“Zesty” is very unique, extremely rare, and is customarily our favorite tart flavored loquat—comparatively, a ‘Montmorency Cherry Pie’ style of loquat with a more appetizing yellow-orange coloration. We have searched diligently to find a loquat which consistently makes great jam, pie/cobbler filling, freezes well, holds consistent flavor, and has a high duration shelf life—Zesty is the one. Even frozen for a couple of months, the fruit maintained its crisp shape, bright color, and sharp flavor, while all other loquat fruit varieties we grow turned brown and lost viability after only a couple of weeks in the freezer. The tree itself takes on a favorable ornamental appearance and a moderate size. Due to its very late and fruit holding nature, it is an ideal candidate for those seeking to fruit loquats in colder regions outside of normal growing zones or in container conditions. The seeds of this tree have remarkable germination rates with very vigorous roots. With its potential as a commercial loquat, we did not want to make this one available, but it is too good not to. Zesty was named in honor of Adam’s great-grandmother who specialized in her own home-grown and fully stuffed Montmorency Cherry Pies—which she called “Zesty Pies” to encourage the picky kids to eat them. Took us years to secure this special specimen in our private collection, and after much thought and deliberation, here it is—the Zesty ‘Pie’ Loquat. Limited Time Only.

DWARF #8 INTERMEDIATE STOCK
Flavor:  Common
Fruit Size:  Small-Medium
Fruit Type:  Common
Growth Habits:  Extreme Dwarfing (5’ – 10’), Spreading Growth, Very Slow Growing
Special:  High Chance for Polyembryonic Seeds
  The Dwarf #8 Intermediate Stock was selected to make a dwarfing interstock which gives comparable growth rates as Quince but without jeopardizing the lifespan of the grafts. Can be used as a direct seedling when grown from Polyembryonic seeds or used as a topper or interconnector for scions onto an existing branch or basal stock to slow vigor. Perfect for converting highly vigorous varieties into container growing or smaller backyard spaces.

SEMI-DWARF #7 INTERMEDIATE STOCK
Flavor:  Common
Fruit Size:  Small-Medium
Fruit Type:  Common
Growth Habits:  Semi-Dwarfing (10’ – 15’), Spreading Growth, Slow Growing
Special:  High Chance for Polyembryonic Seeds
  The Semi-Dwarf #7 Intermediate Stock was selected to make a semi-dwarfing interstock which gives slightly better growth rates than Quince but without jeopardizing the lifespan of the grafts. Can be used as a direct seedling when grown from Polyembryonic seeds or used as a topper or interconnector for scions onto an existing branch or basal stock to slow vigor. Perfect for converting highly vigorous varieties into container growing or smaller backyard spaces.

SEEDLING (Specific Varieties May Be Requested for Germination for Rootstock Preparation)
      o      Special Note: I will germinate any variety of seeds you want to grow and ship the seedling once it is the size you prefer. Additionally, I have dwarf and semi-dwarf poly seedlings which lead to desired rootstock sizes. I can graft any listed variety or create cocktails on our loquat rootstocks. All seedlings are derived from cross-pollination of named varieties, and specific parentage can be provided where applicable. We do not use Quince as a rootstock because it significantly reduces the lifespan of a loquat, and we grow dwarf and semi-dwarf loquats from poly seeds as an alternative.

'Viking' Springs Forth with Vigor

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:54:01 PM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
SHIPPING AND HANDLING
The shipping and handling values are now calculated based on what service you select on the website. You will be given an itemized inventory receipt with every purchase, and there is always a chance a random FREE GIFT may appear in your shipment. There is no longer a minimum purchase required to place an order, so you may pick and choose exactly what you want and how you want it shipped.

Shipping for bulk orders, custom or potted trees or international orders will require me to obtain an estimate and send you an invoice quotation. I do ship international, but during the current COVID-19 pandemic, some countries may not receive shipments. I will leave that investigation up to you and will not take responsibility for rejected or confiscated orders at border points. Please be aware of the rules of your respective country’s guidelines as well regarding sending and receiving international packages.

*** All purchase requests are prioritized in the order in which they are received ***

PLACING AN ORDER
I would greatly appreciate if Private Messages in the forum were limited to simple discussions rather than orders, because I must track them manually here and it is not practical.  Please use one of the following methods below to place an order.

Place Orders Here:
AKME Gardens Ordering
AKME Gardens Website
Or
AKME Gardens Email Contact
Sales@akme.co

You may check out our new Internet Pages
AKME Gardens Facebook Page
AKME Gardens Twitter Page
AKME Gardens Instragram Page
AKME Gardens YouTube Channel

Facebook Messenger
Adam Karsten Messenger

YOUR INFORMATION
When you place an order or ask for a quote, I will need the following information to process your request:

First and Last Name
Address
Email
Phone
Specify:  Variety  |  Size  |  Quantity

PAYMENT
The website is designed to accept virtually all forms of payment possible.

Thank you so much for your patience, business and support.

DONATIONS
If you wish to make a monetary donation to AKME Gardens, 20% will be donated to a charity or ministry, and the remaining 80% will be used directly toward the improvement and sustainability of our fruit orchards. I do not personally keep any donations made toward our cause. All donations can be made via PayPal or Zelle at Sales@akme.co, and you may choose anonymity or receive recognition for your contribution(s) per your request via our social networks.

MINISTRY
Did you know that 10% of every purchase you make is automatically donated to Meekness Ministries? You are helping us to sing and teach the Good News and spread loving connections with elderly and disabled in select Nursing, Retirement and Rehabilitation Facilities in the Southeast.

My goal is to encourage the sustainability of our precious, natural resources by preserving the integrity and desirability of our wonderful orchards through diversifying edible landscapes.

Together, we can protect our plant cultivars, planet, passion, and ultimately our future.

-Adam Karsten

PRIVACY POLICY
The types of information we collect at AKME Gardens helps us to provide quality services and improve your experience when working with us.

Personal information you share on our websites or social media platforms is stored privately and not sold, rented or shared with any other party for any reason without your sole consent. We only utilize information we collect for the purposes of making legitimate hiring decisions for employees and contractors, when establishing new business clientele, or when maintaining operations and services with existing customers. We have no affiliation with any advertisements you may encounter while navigating any of our online platforms.

Any promotional content, emails, text messages, phone calls, electronic negotiations, qualification screenings and other forms of written or verbal communication as a result of information you provided us will only be conducted by representatives of AKME Gardens, and any third party communication taking place otherwise is not provided, requested, endorsed, affiliated or represented by our company.[/size]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:26:44 PM by Viking Guy »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
New record for longest post in forum history!!
Some good info on different cultivars , thanks for posting.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
New record for longest post in forum history!!
Some good info on different cultivars , thanks for posting.

Hah, you know it brother.  I don't even want to confess how long it took me to type all of that in a document, with formatting necessary for colors, links, etc.

Unfortunately, I was not able to edit the old post and had to make a new one.  This time, I gave it some good updates with more accurate info to match our website.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Just a heads up, we are opening a new Storefront in Foley, Alabama, on March 1.

We can really use the help from our previous customers who have received seeds, scions, trees, garden supplies, etc., to give our Google listing a presence and help with local sales.

Now that we have Storefront overhead expenses, we need vocal support now more than ever to push marketing.   ;D ;D

Anyhow, if anyone wishes to give us a shout out, please Google AKME Gardens or click HERE.

Thank you all so much for your support and business.  I truly feel I am amongst the world's finest community of friends when dealing with fruit tree enthusiasts.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
As of March 1, we will be adding Stonefruits, Apples, Pears, Mulberries and other fruit tree types to the custom multi-grafting menu.  If our inspection goes well, we will also be able to add citrus in a couple weeks.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Our nursery is now licensed to sell Citrus in Alabama, but we can only ship Citrus to Baldwin and Mobile Counties for now.

Once we have an exclusion facility up, we'll be able to ship nationwide, with the exception of Citrus growing states, such as Hawaii, California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida and U.S. Territories.

We are offering built-to-order custom multi-grafted Citrus Trees, and they'll be available for pickup only.

Since the rules for Citrus growing are new to Alabama as of last year (Mobile and Baldwin Counties only), our nursery had the honor of being the first and only nursery in the state permitted to ship Citrus Trees under the new modifications.

I know that doesn't mean much, but it makes me proud in some small, insignificant way.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 01:06:24 AM by Viking Guy »

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
Great service, product, & packaging even!  Greatly appreciate the bonuses as well.  Barely got them all grafted last night before the rain came in.  With all the attention to details, if I ever found myself in Alabama, I'd have to make a stop at your place just to see what you've done.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
I just read through your info relative to your Loquat efforts and also have seen that you are adding other tropicals, etc.  The information about the plants along with the availability is vast and extremely well written, not to mention all the incredibly great reviews you are receiving. 

While my interests are geared towards Mango trees and I am far to old to look into growing Loquats, you have really come close to tempting me.  At 73 and with deteriorating health I am saying to myself, I only wish I could be assured of having several more years remaining of adequate health to be able to try Loquats knowing I could enjoy the fruits of my planting labors for them.

I just had to write and commend you on your obvious long and very well thought out plans.  YOU ARE DESTINED TO BECOME THE AMAZON OF THE TROPICAL FRUIT AND TREE INDUSTRY AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF SUCCESS IN ACCOMPLISHING THIS DREAM!!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I just had to write and commend you on your obvious long and very well thought out plans.  YOU ARE DESTINED TO BECOME THE AMAZON OF THE TROPICAL FRUIT AND TREE INDUSTRY AND I WISH YOU THE BEST OF SUCCESS IN ACCOMPLISHING THIS DREAM!!
Future billionaire!
John

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Great service, product, & packaging even!  Greatly appreciate the bonuses as well.  Barely got them all grafted last night before the rain came in.  With all the attention to details, if I ever found myself in Alabama, I'd have to make a stop at your place just to see what you've done.

Very glad you are happy, and thank you for the complements.

We started painting this weekend, and now just need the fence up so the Storefront can open officially.  It has been quite the project, but it is almost here.  I just might be retiring from the medical field soon to venture into full agriculture and am loving the opportunity of such a transition.

I'll be thrilled if you ever get to come visit.  Hopefully by the time you get here, the place will be set up well enough to make it worth the trip.

Also, if you leave a review on Google, it would be very helpful for us locally. 

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
I just read through your info relative to your Loquat efforts and also have seen that you are adding other tropicals, etc.  The information about the plants along with the availability is vast and extremely well written, not to mention all the incredibly great reviews you are receiving. 

While my interests are geared towards Mango trees and I am far to old to look into growing Loquats, you have really come close to tempting me.  At 73 and with deteriorating health I am saying to myself, I only wish I could be assured of having several more years remaining of adequate health to be able to try Loquats knowing I could enjoy the fruits of my planting labors for them.

Thank you so much for these wonderful words and encouragement!  The project has been an undertaking and cost me far more than I anticipated.  Hopefully the Storefront pays for itself soon.

Also, I think you will be very thrilled to try some of the improved loquat varieties.  They are quite a step above a street-quat.

I don't know about becoming an Amazon, but I did add the following fruit trees to our custom built multi-grafted repertoire:

Loquat (of course)
Apple
Pear (Euro/Asian)
Mulberry
Stonefruits (Peach, Plum, Apricot, Nectarine/Cherry/etc)
Blueberry
Fig
Persimmon
Citrus
Camelia
Roses
Nightshade Plants (Tomato/Pepper/Eggplant)

Coming soon will be Avocado, Mango, Jujube, Dragonfruit, Jaboticaba and some others.

Now, people have options.  I should have some similar posts for these other fruit types later.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Future billionaire!

If only every penny didn't get invested back into it for inventory and startup.   ;D

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
1 Gallon Size is Back in Stock.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
I do apologize for the inconvenience, but we have sold out of 300 gallon Loquats at this time.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
I do apologize for the inconvenience, but we have sold out of 300 gallon Loquats at this time.
Damn!  Those must have been some big tress!  Joking aside, besides Bradenton, which other varieties would be best for South Florida (Zone 10)?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 01:17:53 PM by johnb51 »
John

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Those must have been some big tress!  Joking aside, besides Bradenton, which other varieties would be best for South Florida (Zone 10)?

Hey John, most do great in South Florida.  Main thing is to avoid certain ones which don't, such as Oliver and Golden Nugget.  Also, Peluches will also stress there is grafted too low to the ground.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website

Our website is now set up to accept "interest-free" payment plans for 4 installments--no credit checks.  This applies to orders between $50 - $1000.  Orders over $1000, I will still need to set up manual payment plan options.

This service will charge back to us for about 6%, so if you wish to cover that cost, you may do so in the tips section if preferred.  Don't feel obligated to do that though.

Meanwhile, we've had a crazy busy season.  You'll notice changes being incorporated on the website soon to make the flow better and product availability changing to all merchandise and plant types we keep at the Storefront in Foley, AL.

Soon, you'll be able to put together your custom trees like a pizza.  The amount of work that has gone into the website development on the back end has surprised me, but I think once it launches it will be worth the effort.

Thanks again for everyone's support and business as we make this gigantic transition from our respective fields and move full force into providing this unique agricultural edible art service.

Much love and respect to you all. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 11:56:33 AM by Viking Guy »

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
PM Sent

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Our .co Email has been having issues with people sending or receiving it over the past year, so we went ahead and set up an email server on our .com to help resolve the concern.

You may now use the following email address when reaching out to us:

AKME Gardens Email

Sales@akmegardens.com

The previous email is still active, but if you've had issues with sending/receiving emails to the .co address, then this should be the workaround for you.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
We have a 20% off Special running on the website for 4th of July.  Ends at midnight on the 5th.

Use the code:  AKME4TH20

Also, we now offer FREE Summer shipping on items purchased from the website directly (excludes custom trees).

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
I ordered a custom grafted loquat tree in 2020 and still didn’t get it. I texted them, emailed every email I could find but never got a response since 2021.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
I ordered a custom grafted loquat tree in 2020 and still didn’t get it. I texted them, emailed every email I could find but never got a response since 2021.

I felt the same way lycheelust and emailed them to no avail. Then I dared to log on to facebook and check out their facebook page. Seems like that they have had a lot of unforeseen consequences and their nursery's land was sold right underneath there feet with no notice. So they have had to move locations and some other complications as well. If you would like, I can message you the email I received because I'm also in the same position of ordering a grafted tree last year. Check out their facebook page and see if they have posted any updates.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Same here.  Want to empathize with their situation, but pretty disappointed about lack of any communication.  Think they should take their time to focus on shipping out plants that have already been paid over a year ago before continuing to take new orders. 

Janet

RGVgardener

• Harlingen zone 9b
    • View Profile
Same, ordered January 2021. Calling, emailing, terrible communication. Going to have to initiate a credit card dispute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk