Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Best Jackfruit I ever had.

(1/3) > >>

FlyingFoxFruits:
x

bsbullie:
So you have tried 12 different varieties and this was the best ?  What were the other varieties ?

FlyingFoxFruits:
Not sure what varieties, most were probably seedlings.

Over the years I've eaten them at fruit club meetings around FL, and at growers homes, even bought some from the market.

But I never asked what variety...I  guess because I had no intentions of purchasing more fruit (too expensive) or growing the tree ( too large and cold sensitive)...but now I'm changing my mind...and considering some jackfruit to grow possibly.

I know I have seeds of this one growing, but I didn't mark them!  So it could be one of two fruits I ate that day.

Oh well.  I'm sure other people would hate this variety I liked so much.  And I need me a grafted tree anyhow!

fruitlovers:
Adam, would be good for you to add jackfruit at your location as they are more cold hardy than some of the other plants you're growing. Some people have even fruited jacks in southern California.
Fruits on ground very rarely have any latex as they are well ripened. Most people tend to eat jacks under ripe. They like super crunchy arils, which means usually the fruits are not fully ripe and hence fruits are laden with latex.

bsbullie:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on April 24, 2012, 03:07:34 AM ---Adam, would be good for you to add jackfruit at your location as they are more cold hardy than some of the other plants you're growing. Some people have even fruited jacks in southern California.
Fruits on ground very rarely have any latex as they are well ripened. Most people tend to eat jacks under ripe. They like super crunchy arils, which means usually the fruits are not fully ripe and hence fruits are laden with latex.

--- End quote ---
The Mai series is actually very low on latex.

Are you saying that no fully ripe jackfruit should be crunchy ?  Not sure I agree with that as I have had jaks that were definitely to the point of past ripeness that were still crunchy.  For as sweet, rich and flavorful as some of the crunchy jaks I have had, if they were truly underripe, how would you say they change other than as you say the texture ?

Adam - you should definitely try jackfruit.  They can not only be maintained and fruit at 10 feet or so but will definitely fruit full sized fruits when grown in large pots.  I agree, you should definitely start with a grafted tree, for both getting a true variety and for its more compact growth habit.  Guess this could mean mean a trip to Excalibur for some tastings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version