Author Topic: Wanting rare fruits  (Read 3981 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Wanting rare fruits
« on: July 12, 2015, 05:57:57 PM »
Hello!

New member here but really excited to join a fruit growers forum. A small bit about me first and why I'm here. First I love me some fruits! Want to grow it all! I'm ambitious about growing tropical fruits, veggies, and herbs and I love to try new and exotic things that tingle the taste buds! Currently working on a food forest project in my yard that's just now getting growing good. I want to self sustain as much as possible and grow the majority of my own food in the future.

Anyways I'm joining here to contribute as much as possible and also obtain new gems for the project. I want the rarest of the rare fruits that can handle my zone 9-10 environment. So far by way of fruits and edibles in general I'm growing the following species: jabutchacaba(sp?), egg fruit, goji, golden berry, passion fruits, jujube, moringa, guava, black mulberry, russian olive, cassava, chaya, loquat, star fruit, pomelo, paw paw, persimmon, cherimoya, sour sop, cinnammon, ayahuma, albertia sessilis(sp?), blueberry, blackberry, suriname cherry, sugarcane, miracle fruit, brazilian cherry, nutmeg, black pepper, tree collards, and probably a ton of stuff I can't think of right now...banana too!

Here's what I want to find:
green monkey orange (Strychnos spinosa)
not edible but Sapindus saponaria or soapberry
raspberry, blackberry, brambles in general suitable to my area
blueberry for my area
strawberry
kumquat
other citrus especially container capable varieties
perennial veggies of any sort
rare cooking herbs
rare fruits suitable for my area...anything anything that's good and/or massively productive
even entheogens are welcome

Will trade or buy to seal any good deal!

Thanks D-Grower
Trying to grow it all!

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting rare fruits
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »
Welcome aboard mate, everything you are looking for and more pops up here from time to time. I only joined about a year ago and my collection has grown massively. There is a citrus forum and herb and vegies one also. Have fun.
Don

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the link guys!
Trying to grow it all!

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 05:17:14 AM »
Maybe you interested, Monkey Orange mentioned too:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4780.msg203148#msg203148

Sometimes it is important to know when the seeds was collected.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »
They are probably new, I ordered from silverhills about two months ago and they weren't listed then, they are on my wishlist hehe. They have good quality seeds and are good to deal with. Out of the 6 tree varieties I ordered from them, 5 have so far germinated and have seedlings which is unheard of luck for me.

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
Thanks y'all Checked out silver hills site. That is an immensely impressive seeds list! They didn't have the green monkey orange in the list but the black and spiny leafed varieties are there. The spiny says the fruit skin is woody which isn't a big deal but I'm gonna order the black. Thanks for the direction!
Trying to grow it all!

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »
On a side note, I checked today, I am now 6 for 6 on the seeds from Silverhill :)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 03:15:41 AM »
They are probably new, I ordered from silverhills about two months ago and they weren't listed then, they are on my wishlist hehe. They have good quality seeds and are good to deal with. Out of the 6 tree varieties I ordered from them, 5 have so far germinated and have seedlings which is unheard of luck for me.

All their seeds are collected seasonally so nothing should be older than 9months(they dont deal in recalcitrant seeds really only orthodox)
Rachel is really nice and if you ask her they can sometimes keep an eye out for other species.
Iv asked her many times to please make a dedicated fruit seed category and I will punt it with fellow fruit enthusiasts but she doesnt seem interested lol.

All seeds Iv gotten from her have been good her marula had very long dormancy compared to other sources but think cauz it was nice and fresh :D
Iv ordered indigenous Manilkara a few times without success:( but have had limited success from other sources too:( Strychnos I collected myself also had better germ rates but hers were still 50% and Strychnos species are tricky buggers to germinated at the best of times!

What species did you get Tropheus if you dont mind me asking?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »
What the heck i ordered both kinds! Can't wait to see them grow!
Trying to grow it all!

Lilith-vzla

• Venezuela
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »
Hi!
I have sapindus saponaria seeds!

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:41:14 AM »
Awesome! Message me if you like and maybe we can trade!
Trying to grow it all!