Author Topic: Cecropia obtusifolia  (Read 2298 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Cecropia obtusifolia
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »
Anyone have seeds available for this species? Was at a large botanical garden garden recently and this tree is magnificent looking for a tropical accent and apparently has sweet edible fruits. Looking to add this here species to my growing food forest!

Thanks!
Trying to grow it all!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Cecropia obtusifolia
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
If you are talking about the Cecropia with edible fruit that looks like an upside down hand with fingers hanging down, i believe you want the C. peltata.  As far as seeds, i dont think seeds out of the fruit are viable unless there was a male nearby when the female was flowering.   I also dont believe the seeds come true to the variety.

Also not sure how they would do unprotected in your area, depending on your actual location.
- Rob

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
Thanks man for the input. Really the tree is just beautiful the fruit is just a perk. Its possible the other species you mentioned is in fact the one I'm looking for. The guy I talked with only used the genus name to identify the plant while giving the tour on his farm. He's an hour south of me so its possible it may survive here. I'm willing to try for better or worse.

Its also possible what your saying about seed viability. Not sure if he had both a male and female. Had two but the second but it may have been air layered off the bigger one. He didn't go into detail.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the last thread in which we weren't so nice to each other!
Trying to grow it all!

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
I think the common name for what you are describing is Yagrumo, or Yarumo in espaņol. I have seen it on Top Tropicals website before if you want to check there.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
Thanks man for the input. Really the tree is just beautiful the fruit is just a perk. Its possible the other species you mentioned is in fact the one I'm looking for. The guy I talked with only used the genus name to identify the plant while giving the tour on his farm. He's an hour south of me so its possible it may survive here. I'm willing to try for better or worse.

Its also possible what your saying about seed viability. Not sure if he had both a male and female. Had two but the second but it may have been air layered off the bigger one. He didn't go into detail.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the last thread in which we weren't so nice to each other!

No worries,  water under the bridge.   If you want a tree, I know its a drive for you but Excalibur has some 7 gal  air layered trees available for sale.
- Rob

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »
Thank you sirs!

I have ordered from top tropicals before I'll have to look through their site again and see if this species is in there.

I too a few times a year travel up state to my property in the mid state and panhandle. If I can swing by Excalibur I'll definitely do so. I'll have to see where they are in relation to where I go. Would be awesome to have a large plant to start with! My wife is always traveling with me so I'd have to see how she feels about a detour. Should be all good as she's coming around to my crazy plant hobby. Getting them involved is key lol!

Thanks again! DG
Trying to grow it all!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:27 AM »
Excalibur is on the East Coast in Palm Beach County,  located in in Lake Worth, just a little South of West Palm Beach.
- Rob

D-Grower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »
Ya looked them up they are south and across the state. Not at all in my direction of travel. However SR70 takes me all the way across above Okeechobee. It might not be too bad a drive really. I know there's other stuff over that way I wanna see too. I'll have to see what I can do!
Trying to grow it all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk