Author Topic: Planting a Biodynamic Mango grove from seed.  (Read 884 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Planting a Biodynamic Mango grove from seed.
« on: July 01, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »
We have this 2.5 acres lagoon front property on US-1, Micco Fl. This is where we will sell all our FV fruit. Eight years ago I planted 2 Zills Mangos, 4 Sugar Apple, 1 wax Jambu, 2 lychee, 5 longan, Macadamia nut and Cashew.  All from 3 gal..  The only thing done to them since, zero outside inputs no water. Just the lawn being mowed not too regularly. There is also 1.5 acres of mixed oak hammock full of large and small Gopher Tortoises.

The only tree to fruit normally was the Sugar Apples.  The Mangos grew huge but never flowered. The Longan started to grow a little after 7 years, the wax Jambu and lychees shrunk and the Cashew grew, flowered, macadamia grew nice. We love cashew juice.

Since we decided to plant it out.  I know from here that Cashews, Mangos and others fruit abundantly.  Biological organic systems work best where there is calcium.  Plenty of that here.

I stopped mowing except paths and edges.  I applied a quality 20lbs of an anaerobic manure based Biodynamic compost 2x over two week period.  I then spent 6 hrs and planted 20 seed grown Organically, Zills Mangos 1 and 2 years 50/50.  5 Geffner Attemoya seedlings, 5 Inga Spectabilis, 3 Ross Sapote, 10 lemon from fruit of this property, 5 pomelo. 4 Pink Star Apple and 1 Juicy Pearl.  Lastly I spent 2 hours dragging rotten wood from the forest and placing around trees.

Yet to do is plant it like a syntropic forest , biodiverse and close together.  Cut and spread as needed. Spray lactobacillus spray.  Biodynamic spray 500, 501 and 508.  Water to speed things up as needed.  Just follow the 5 soil health principals.  So simple.  It works great in Florida For us.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:14:39 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Planting a Biodynamic Mango grove from seed.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 09:16:13 PM »
Good going, I wish you a bountiful harvest in the coming years. I love how you are trying to work with nature. Please keep us updated on this project!

Simon

lorisimon

• Winter Garden, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 03:36:59 AM »
How long do you have yours? Any fruit/flowers yet?

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 06:27:43 AM »
How long do you have yours? Any fruit/flowers yet?

I am not sure what your question is.  These are all seedling plants most are less than 4 Months old from seed.  It will take awhile for fruit from these particular trees but we can get the Ag exemption for greatly reduced property taxes which are way too high on waterfront lots.   These biological system work well in Florida.  We have planted over 1000 rare trees from seed at FV over the past 4 years.  Yes we have fruit at FV which is why we need a commercial location to sell our fruit.   We thought we wanted to sell this property as we never used it.  Getting this property certified organic/Demeter USA was the only way I could figure to save the Tortoises as OC/DU require a percentage of Ag property be set aside for nature. 

Also the biodynamic compost is not anaerobic but a static pile meaning we do not turn it.  The lactobacillus spray is the leachate from a fermented Bokashi Compost sprayed onto the orchard floor.  Both provide the biology needed to unlock the calcium and cycle the mineral nutrients which has been shown to  grow healthy disease free plants as it speeds up photosynthesis.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:37:16 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk