Author Topic: Could this be Jaboticaba?  (Read 456 times)

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Could this be Jaboticaba?
« on: October 04, 2021, 12:36:17 AM »
About a year ago I was driving and spotted a tiny old rundown Asian nursery. They had a mix of flowers, trees, pottery and the usual tropical fruits. Nothing too exotic. Only one Jaboticaba on the entire lot, was a single beat-up looking Sabara in the corner. Right next to it, was another sick looking unlabeled plant. I asked the owner what the other plant was. He points to the Sabara, points back to the other plant and says, "same". I said, no it couldn't be. He said, "Same, just grow different". He was an old Viet guy with broken English and I wasn't really sure what he meant. I told him thanks and he was on his way, but I wasn't convinced. A year later, I've learned more about different varieties and relatives of plinia. Looking at this photo again, I thought maybe it is a Jabo! The leaf shape is what gets me.

The leaves were big. Almost 2" long and 1" wide. You could have fit 3-4 of the Sabara's leaves on one of these leaves. The bark was white/light grey. Weeping growth. It was pretty malnourished, so these traits might not be genetic. I would have taken more pics, but at the time I thought there was no way it was a Jabo. I could always go back and check if anyone thinks this might be a one. They might still have it as unattractive as it was. Thanks.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be Jaboticaba?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »
I'd believe it. Leaf shape looks fine. Not sure what else it'd be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk