Author Topic: Full sun plantings  (Read 819 times)

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
Full sun plantings
« on: February 08, 2022, 03:19:27 PM »
I’m planting a couple new areas in front yard, I have some protected areas that get full all day sun though. Temps can be 100F in August and September. Looking to support some under canopy plants. What are my best options for max sun tolerance and maybe some wind tolerance?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Full sun plantings
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
Pomegranate, cold hardy, drought torrent, and grow well under full sun.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Pomegranates are great. I’d like to stay away from deciduous if possible. I’ve got a loquat and sapodilla that have done well. Considering more of those and possibly mango and open to suggestions

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 07:30:26 PM »
Avocados maybe? Kumquats and other citrus? Mulberry? Front yards can be tricky because some people steal fruit. Hopefully you won't have that issue. What low temps have you seen this year and last year? That may give a better frame of what you are working with. Mangos are going to suffer if below freezing for too long.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 09:21:20 PM »
We got to 26 for 4 hrs this year but that’s fairly uncommon. Usually a couple light frosts. House and fence block the north wind, so it stays a bit warmer in front. Not worried about bandits as everybody here assumes everybody is armed:D   Mulberries are an option. Zero experience with mangos. Highly allergic to poison ivy and learned mangos = Urisiol the hard way. Not completely opposed though, they’re beautiful. Ideally I’d like some nice dooryard evergreen options that can shade some jabos and eugenias and under canopy plants. Summer sun can be harsh

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »
I got as many free mulberry trees as you're willing to dig up
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:37:57 AM by elouicious »

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 10:48:31 PM »
Have you considered feijoa? It's evergreen and looks nice in the front yard.
I have some in pots and in ground and they handle 100+ very well.
Supposedly hardy to 10f

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
Hey! I'm the same when it comes to mangos! Wow, haven't really met another. For me it's only when the mango skin comes in contact with my mouth. So I wash the fruit with dish soap to remove excess oils, then peel the mango. I also don't eat the flesh too close to the skin and use extra chapstick before I eat. Sometimes it works. When it doesn't, my lips feel like sandpaper for a week. I was researching it and it's a pretty rare sensitivity so lucky us. I also read a paper that claimed if we had mangos before we came in contact with poison ivy, we wouldn't have had the mango sensitivity later on in life. So if you have kids, make them eat mango!

Anyway, I thought of another tree.  Jujube trees. They love the sun and are very drought tolerant/cold hardy. Downside they are deciduous.