Author Topic: Pictures from Dominican Republic about fruit/rare fruit plants and so on.  (Read 6446 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures from Dominican Republic
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 07:41:54 PM »
Wow. Amazing pictures and hunting! If I was interested in Pouteria and Annona what would be the best time to visit and explore DR?

ty. Right now there are some Zapotes and Guanabanas...(but my own tree fruits in a different part of the year for some reason)
You can find fruit all year but it's not very rare fruit in markets and things like that.

Can't tell you a specific time but i think it's better to come here during the winter. It's not so humid and it doesn't rain all the time. Also if you come here the best place is the beach, there's a lot of mosquitos at night and be careful some people(a lot) can try to scam you charging you more way more money...happens to me all the time i just walk away and they suddenly drop the prices xD

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2022, 05:58:51 PM »
found while hiking today :)

inga fagifolia aka inga laurina. type from dominican republic

bixa orellana

icaco fruits found @ floor and one eaten by me

unripe tamarind fruit

overripe vangueria edulis 

a wild fruit that looks and smells like a pouteria!

2 green skin mangos

update pics:

Wallenia Laurifolia

« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 05:13:40 PM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2022, 06:09:22 PM »
the inga was rotten and even with some worms..so it was bitter and i had to spit it out xD

the pouteria tastes good very similar to canistel but little meat and inside it has 3 seeds. the fruit is small and it felt like a primitive type of canistel xD

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2022, 08:59:42 PM »

for Tropical fruit bonsai, Saltman and co. which i think it's a.montana forming fruit

and these too
update: the mystery annona seems to possibly be another type of candongo R.Mucosa

These seedlings sold at the nursery seem to come from this idk. They are labelled as R.Mucosa seems a bit different from R.Deliciosa
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 05:04:17 PM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »
An Orchid and plant festival held last weekend where they sell plants, fruit trees and things like that. (Removed pics)...

More P.Domingensis-Totuma being sold by a nursery...yes this is a fruit tree...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 07:10:05 AM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2022, 05:26:16 PM »

Palma de Botella(Bottle Palm)

Strikes me as Manilkara Bidentata? Balata

Wild Pouteria man...this one next to it strikes me as a wild pouteria.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2022, 06:51:20 PM »
Why are the mods letting this dude post things that aren’t, in any way related to tropical fruit? Lame

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2022, 07:26:19 PM »
Why are the mods letting this dude post things that aren’t, in any way related to tropical fruit? Lame

these are tropical fruits and/or rare fruit plant related my dude....like you see these 3 species right there??? xD
it's not my fault if you only know what a mango is a my dude xD
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:00:39 PM by digigarden »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2022, 07:34:23 PM »
See when Flying Fox Fruits gives you a tour of his place and he shows you his dogs, his chickens and things like that...it makes it a more Legit experience...he still will talk about fruit. This is something similar i show rare plants and fruit i grow and i'm hunting but if i walk somewhere then i can show you A PIC OF THE PLACE RELATED to the THE PLANTS OR FRUITS i'm showing :)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »

Some Aguacates they sell on the street...this is fruit, yep.

Fruit Vendors i visited today....This guy has these large papayas.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2022, 07:57:51 PM »

Passiflora Quadrangularis-Giant Granadilla

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2022, 08:53:22 PM »
See when Flying Fox Fruits gives you a tour of his place and he shows you his dogs, his chickens and things like that...it makes it a more Legit experience...he still will talk about fruit. This is something similar i show rare plants and fruit i grow and i'm hunting but if i walk somewhere then i can show you A PIC OF THE PLACE RELATED to the THE PLANTS OR FRUITS i'm showing :)

I've actually liked how you show little bits of the DR's beaches and such, never been out of the country before but I would definitely like to go to the DR sometime later in my life. Sounds like a great experience
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2022, 09:12:44 PM »

I've actually liked how you show little bits of the DR's beaches and such, never been out of the country before but I would definitely like to go to the DR sometime later in my life. Sounds like a great experience

Thanks i try to keep it fruit plant related with also some big fruits here and there! but you know plants and stuff such as rare plant hunting and seedlings i show of rare fruit trees and endangered species. But no one can be so dense that every single picture has to show a fruit right??  ;D and you know i am also trying to give a tour so if someone travels they might know where to go, what they can find and so on. It can be dangerous to sometimes to travel. So it's like 10-20% Or less pictures that show a scenery without a seed.plant or fruit. No biggie.

There's also some pictures in Florida,Mexico,Canada,Italy and Puerto Rico i have(but that was before i collected fruit trees) so i won't post stuff like that because i know it's not related to fruit! Some from California that does have fruit as you guys already know that stuff about cherimoyas, litchies and such i am trying to show something different but i am more focused on growing and hunting endangered fruit tree species than actually the big fruits themselves. But besides all that i do think the forum could have a place that you could talk about other things in life like giving advice and such...as long as it's not about politics, religion and such topics. But hey the rules are the rules...The thing that bothers me is I HAVE CREATED THREADS ASKING FOR THE RULES both in general and the selling section and NOBODY said anything xD right think i've said everything...cheers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:15:10 PM by digigarden »

ben mango

• View Profile
Now you are reposting some of the same pictures from earlier. Give it a rest dude
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 09:54:33 PM by ben mango »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
Now you are reposting some of the same pictures from earlier. Give it a rest dude

These pictures were taken TODAY!
 Are you insane? xD

Not sure if one can block users in this forum but if you don't like the thread just don't look at it!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:25:36 PM by digigarden »

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your pics and info!! Many of us appreciate seeing these rare plants endemic to DR.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Appreciate the posts digigarden- very cool to see the native species in particular

(Also appreciate the hiking but it is good exercise  :P)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your pics and info!! Many of us appreciate seeing these rare plants endemic to DR.

Thanks Pan Dulce...even tho i think it's better for me to move this thread to a blog or a website and maybe just put a link here or from my profile then i can have more freedom...ban a bad guy and so on xD. then eventually after a gazillion posts i can make the amount of one dollar giving the public actual reasons to complain hehe. The thread ends here for me...but i will post some species at the id section which is more like the stuff i do. Yeah elouicious i lost 15 pounds this month i feel good but my feet are killing me hehe.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Thanks Digi for sharing pics and info from the DR! I enjoy learning and always like lookin' at cool stuff, so this thread has been a lot of fun and is informative for me. Please carry on.

=)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Thanks for sharing. Love the content where you give context and provide more depth to the forum other than just "wow look at this big fruit! yum!"

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2022, 12:18:30 PM »

Genipa Americana

Those are called Huito in Peru. Definitely not the best-fruit I've ever tried, but locals swear by their medicinal value.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Digi   Digital   Garden...... Entertaining pics. Great job as we all know it takes time to snap & upload pics so thanks.

Your knowledge is obviously far greater than mine on these plants. If you have time to comment under or above the pictures as to how you view the editable fruit/plant tasting, that would motivate me more to look up additional information on each plant picture.

The world may be looked at as a huge Pot with a variety of ingredients. Some people add sugar to the pot, some add pepper and spices, some add salt. Then there are a few that just like to::: Stir The Pot.   

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
Well ty guys for those who enjoyed the thread. Yes you described the nickname well as a computer guy(cough nerd) that got into this fruit hobby back in 2009.

it does take time to take the pictures and upload them...Fortunately not all the pics in this thread were taken this year but some over the years in this hobby(about 13 years).

The thing about describing the taste well there's several issues. 1-A lot of these(most) plants that i'm growing for one reason or the other i've never tasted before(such as buying/trading seeds online). 2-Sometimes in the tropics you can find fruits in the ground like i did but when you open them they're full of worms or other bugs. 3-Plants do well but the fruit rots very fast so you get the seeds only. 4-The more rare species you buy a seedling that the seeds came from a seed bank gathered by botanists. So no one really tasted the fruit. 5-Unknown edibility, i am trying to find stuff. 6-Different tastes for different people. 7-It's hard to describe taste :P 8-Having too many plants and having to keep them in a 7-15 gallon container hoping it doesn't die.

Either way thank you, i will try to describe some of the fruit if i can, but let me know if you're interested in something specific.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 08:09:59 PM by digigarden »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Unfortunately I didn't get to meet digigarden on my trip but I can contribute some pictures now at least!

A shell ginger of some kind-

Unknown Palm-

I believe Pandanus tectorius- Hala

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
They also had Cashews growing and fruiting like crazy-

Got to taste the fruit for the first time, also giant granadilla but I didn't get a pic haha