Author Topic: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 35336 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2023, 09:45:17 PM »
Got some Yangmei in Florida now, I soaked the roots below the graft for 30 minutes in very diluted rooting hormone/water. Then, proceeded to wrap the trees in Buddy grafting tape above the graft unions. Then into some damp/moist (not wet) well draining soil and into the humid greenhouse. Wishing everyone the best of luck. Everyone send Bill a Thank You!

How do your trees look? Are the grafts green or brown?

My trees all look good after the scratch test, all of them seemed to be green. there was some dieback on some of the branches but minimal. Like everyone said, its a gamble and Bill did a great job facilitating what he had to work with.

Our trees were shipped at the same time. You are lucky that all of your trees are good. I am not that lucky. All of mine are dead. You can't even scratch because they are so dry.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2023, 09:48:52 PM »
Got some Yangmei in Florida now, I soaked the roots below the graft for 30 minutes in very diluted rooting hormone/water. Then, proceeded to wrap the trees in Buddy grafting tape above the graft unions. Then into some damp/moist (not wet) well draining soil and into the humid greenhouse. Wishing everyone the best of luck. Everyone send Bill a Thank You!

My trees all look good after the scratch test, all of them seemed to be green. there was some dieback on some of the branches but minimal. Like everyone said, its a gamble and Bill did a great job facilitating what he had to work with.

Our trees were shipped at the same time. You are lucky that all of your trees are good. I am not that lucky. All of mine are dead. You can't even scratch because they are so dry.

Pics onur? they often look worse than they are, I wouldnt give up hope-

Just to add to the scoreboard I am 0/11 on my previous trees

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2023, 10:06:12 PM »
Onur - don’t give up on them. Continue as if all is ok. Give them love, humidity and a few weeks.
[/quot

E. lopez,

They are just dead! There is no green even on the bottom of the grafts when I scratch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 07:55:50 PM by onur »

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2023, 10:35:17 PM »

I will send pics tomorrow.  Out of the previous 11 trees, none is alive?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2023, 11:12:05 PM »
yup-

I didn't wrap and probably drowned my last ones-

there is a reason established trees are fetching such a premium-

Bill could have gone the cal-mei route and made people sign NDA's or only provide people to certain trees (I contacted calmei years ago and was told I could not buy a tree or fruit from them) but instead he is providing the opportunity to get a tree through the methods he described in the initial post.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 24, 2023, 02:35:24 AM »
yup-

Bill could have gone the cal-mei route and made people sign NDA's or only provide people to certain trees (I contacted calmei years ago and was told I could not buy a tree or fruit from them) but instead he is providing the opportunity to get a tree through the methods he described in the initial post.

Should they be watered after being planted? Or they should just be planted in a slightly moistened soil?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 24, 2023, 10:49:57 AM »
yup-

Should they be watered after being planted? Or they should just be planted in a slightly moistened soil?
The black stems may not be dead. Snip the ends. I had some that looked black but had green underneath.

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 24, 2023, 10:50:05 AM »
I noticed that the grafting tape that came on the females were all starting to girdle the growth of the yangmei grafts, I took off the old grafting tape and re applied some fresh stuff on it that may seem to help energy flow. I am thinking this could help.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 24, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »
yup-

This time I am going with watering initially, and waiting until the soil dries at 1 knuckle depth (stick your finger in the dirt) before watering again-

After talking with Simon and Jaboticaba45 this seems to be the best method to revive the roots

Also wrapping with buddy tape or parafilm so the grafts do not lose any more moisture

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 24, 2023, 12:58:10 PM »
At least ya'll got trees and have a chance. USPS seems to have lost my trees. Came and went yesterday and today, no package. Tracking no help.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 24, 2023, 01:35:35 PM »
Keep in mind that scratch test is not a good indicator of if your tree will live. All the trees I have ever gotten were green. The problem is the wood underneath is already starting to fade and die. So even if it's green, it'll eventually die. And even if it's green and alive, if the roots don't grow and rebound from the shock, the plant can't survive. best you can do is just give your best care and wait. Within a month, you'll know if you are successful or not.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 24, 2023, 01:52:47 PM »
At least ya'll got trees and have a chance. USPS seems to have lost my trees. Came and went yesterday and today, no package. Tracking no help.
oh no!

bill_bayarea

• Campbell, Santa Clara County, CA 95008, plant zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 24, 2023, 03:26:32 PM »

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9505510594013020596393
the tracking status says it's delayed, but still on the way.
I feel so sorry for what happened.

bill

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2023, 03:29:30 PM »
If you want a little more humidity put a bucket(s) of water in the surrounding area of the trees. Sure sounds quacky but it’s true.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »

Two of them has some green. Hope those make it.

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2023, 04:01:01 PM »

Two of them has some green. Hope those make it.

You should really wrap them with buddy tape or parafilm

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2023, 05:14:57 PM »

Terrible! Hope you receive them tomorrow.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 24, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »
Keep in mind that scratch test is not a good indicator of if your tree will live. All the trees I have ever gotten were green. The problem is the wood underneath is already starting to fade and die. So even if it's green, it'll eventually die. And even if it's green and alive, if the roots don't grow and rebound from the shock, the plant can't survive. best you can do is just give your best care and wait. Within a month, you'll know if you are successful or not.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 24, 2023, 05:19:55 PM »
yup-

The black stems may not be dead. Snip the ends. I had some that looked black but had green underneath.

I will just wait and see.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 24, 2023, 05:23:53 PM »

This, and ASAP. They need high humidity right now. At least bag them up if you don't want to wrap them. They'll have a tough time reviving if left out in the open, especially in sunlight. Good luck!

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 24, 2023, 05:28:44 PM »
If you want a little more humidity put a bucket(s) of water in the surrounding area of the trees. Sure sounds quacky but it’s true.

Yes, it is a simpler solution than keeping a fishpond or watering the ground.

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 24, 2023, 05:38:05 PM »

This, and ASAP. They need high humidity right now. At least bag them up if you don't want to wrap them. They'll have a tough time reviving if left out in the open, especially in sunlight. Good luck!

Do you think this is enough? I also made a cut at the bottom of the trellises, so they don't get fungus. Should I still wrap them with parafilm?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 24, 2023, 06:26:19 PM »
Looks great onur

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 24, 2023, 06:32:36 PM »

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9505510594013020596393
the tracking status says it's delayed, but still on the way.
I feel so sorry for what happened.

bill

Thank you Bill. Please don't feel bad about my trees. USPS dropped the ball, and I know how this thing can go. You have been tremendously kind and generous with your time and effort, and sacrificed sleep and chill time to help more people out. I have nothing but gratitude for you and all those who assisted.

I may be hitting people up for budwood in the near future, so anyone who has anything other than Biqi/BC, please contact me if you can sell scions. Got some good rootstock already.

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 24, 2023, 06:35:30 PM »

Do you think this is enough? I also made a cut at the bottom of the trellises, so they don't get fungus. Should I still wrap them with parafilm?

Looks good! I like the vents. I try to keep the humidity around 80-90%. Early on I like to see a little bit of condensation in there.