Author Topic: Backyard nursery Florida plant variety required?  (Read 691 times)

Shelbel

• Florida zone 9a
    • View Profile
Backyard nursery Florida plant variety required?
« on: August 14, 2022, 11:11:31 PM »
I am planning on starting a backyard nursery.
I am trying to plan what plants I will propagate to sell. A lot of plants I've looked at in local nurseries don't have the variety on the plant tags.  Do I need to know the variety of the plants I am selling? 

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Backyard nursery Florida plant variety required?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
In the least it would be more professional to know what you're selling. Idk if the law requires that you have to know a species when you sell it. Are you trying to sell ornamental plants or edible species from perennial vegetables to fruit trees? If you are into permaculture edibles like katuk, chaya, potato mint, etc then hit me up via pm. Have a bunch to get one started with. Best of vibes getting it going.
Trying to grow it all!

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 01:34:27 PM »
Varietal labeling may not be required by law, but you should still do it anyway. You will be a new business starting up in a competitive field. You will need something to differentiate yourself from more established nurseries. After all, why should a customer patronize your business instead of one he or she has been buying from for years. So, if nurseries in your area do not label their plants with what variety they are, you should to give yourself a possible edge on your more established competition.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »
Both you and your customer will appreciate being able to easily identify what you are selling. Requirements? Florida? I don't think that state really is too picky like that. Expert plant growers can probably identify what you are selling - but you'll get a much larger buyer pool if even the amateur growers feel welcome.

GrowInFlorida

• Aventura, FL - zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 02:08:01 PM »
the best shot for a small beginner nursery is to sell what local nurseries do NOT sell. They will definitely outcompete you with prices and customer volumes, to be recognized you have to have something different, so the best shot is to concentrate on niche plants, more rare varieties, variegated/weird ornamental plants that are just coming to be in fashion, or rare fruit/palms/whatever that cost more than regular varieties but are also harder to find, so people are hunting them down. For those you surely need to know the variety, as same species can have a $5 and a $500 plant standing next to each other...

Rare plants also require more expertise for growing so make sure you know what you're growing and each plant's water and nutritional requirements. Some plants don't take regular soils for example, you have to make special mixes; some plants need full shade and wet air, so you have to have a special shadecloth/misting setup in your nursery which will also require an extra expense.. Join facebook groups like plant hunters, time to splurge and purge, Jumanji Jon plants, Ralph Plants, etc. and see what's trending. Known rare plant sellers sell their plants out like hot cakes, sometimes within minutes, if the plant is popular - even a single bud on a stick (a chonk) sells for a lot of money! This happened with lots of variegated plants recently (during covid), people just went crazy over them and paid up to several thousand dollars for one plant...

If you don't want to have a large initial investment, start with semi-rare plants that propagate fast (normally expensive plants are slow growing lol), or even create your own niche market, like you would sell 250 varieties of sanseveria, or only funny looking succulents like the boob cactus or the penis cactus... and go to those specific groups where people are looking for those specific plants (there are groups for succulents, palms, sanseverias - basically any type of plant if you're willing to ship). I think with selling plants it's more about your personal passion, plants that you really love that you will be able to sell the best and care for. Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:13:04 PM by GrowInFlorida »