Author Topic: Early St Ann Satsuma  (Read 931 times)

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
Early St Ann Satsuma
« on: September 10, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »
Has anyone grown the Early St Ann Satsuma?  I hear it is an early ripening citrus?  How cold hardy is it?

Mike Adams

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
Re: Early St Ann Satsuma
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 11:35:03 AM »
HI Mike,
     Yeah, I got one.  It, and its sister LA Early, are my earliest ripening Satsumas.  Not necessarily the best flavored Satsuma.  Of my sweet citrus, only the Changsha tangerine can be enjoyed earlier.   
     Its hardiness is about the same as any Satsuma, around 18F during the extended freezes we can get in the Pacific Northwest; possibly lower for short duration freezes.

Jim   

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:04:48 PM »
Thank you.

Mike Adams

David Kipps

• Aroda, VA, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »
Many years ago, I bought both Early St Ann and LA Early from "Sherwood's Greenhouses" in Sibley, LA (no longer open).  Kept them in pots to move in when temps got into low 20s, so don't know for sure how low they can go.  I did eventually lose the Early St Ann, but don't remember if cold exposure was part of the blame or not.  I could not tell any difference between the two, so I wasn't too concerned and just grafted more copies of the remaining LA Early.  Ever since then, I have never found any seeds in any of the fruits.  I did find a seed or two during the first years, so I am suspicious that they may have come from the Early St Ann only.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 07:36:17 AM »

Here’s my St Anne on poncirus. In cold frame that I do for all my non-hybrids. Got it from Simply Citrus in SC several years ago. Just started growing this summer after a crabapple tree fell that was next to it and blocking sun. I’ve been cutting immature fruit off to get tree to grow more. I do small space heaters and water barrels to keep them alive in winter. My satsuma trees and grapefruit have done well with this method even through a month below freezing and lows of zero or below from sundown to sun up.