Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Avocado variety identification

(1/2) > >>

codetard:
I bought a grafted avocado plant from a local nursery out here in Ludhiana, India. The nursery couldn’t tell me the variety and only labeled iit ‘grafted avocado’. It’s pretty and very healthy plant. Avocado plantation is very rare in India, this is the first avocado plant I’ve seen in my life, couldn’t resist taking it home.
Recently my avocado has grown some new leaves, I’ve posted photos of the both old and new leaves.

johnb51:
The nursery couldn't tell you, but we can? ???  It looks like an avocado tree.  ;D

pagnr:

You can tell different Avocado varieties apart by the leaf shape and colour of new growth, and tree shape if you know what you are looking for.
It is hard question because we don't know the source of the grafts.
It could be a more tropical area to the south, a neighbouring country,
or an agricultural research station in your area.
It could be grafted from a unique fruiting tree in your area ?

Mexican varieties have anise scented leaves, so if it has scented leaves it is more likely a Mexican type or Mexican hybrid.

Other members might be able to guess what Avocado race the tree could possibly be ?

GFC:

--- Quote from: codetard on September 23, 2022, 11:12:18 AM ---I bought a grafted avocado plant from a local nursery out here in Ludhiana, India. The nursery couldn’t tell me the variety and only labeled iit ‘grafted avocado’. It’s pretty and very healthy plant. Avocado plantation is very rare in India, this is the first avocado plant I’ve seen in my life, couldn’t resist taking it home.
Recently my avocado has grown some new leaves, I’ve posted photos of the both old and new leaves.

--- End quote ---

I thought avocado trees were common in India

codetard:

--- Quote from: pagnr on September 23, 2022, 07:29:13 PM ---
You can tell different Avocado varieties apart by the leaf shape and colour of new growth, and tree shape if you know what you are looking for.
It is hard question because we don't know the source of the grafts.
It could be a more tropical area to the south, a neighbouring country,
or an agricultural research station in your area.
It could be grafted from a unique fruiting tree in your area ?

Mexican varieties have anise scented leaves, so if it has scented leaves it is more likely a Mexican type or Mexican hybrid.

Other members might be able to guess what Avocado race the tree could possibly be ?

--- End quote ---

Leaves have no smell. 🙂

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version