Author Topic: Jackfruit - does sun exposure to trunk encourage fruiting?  (Read 436 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Jackfruit - does sun exposure to trunk encourage fruiting?
« on: November 29, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
A relative from India who has grown and seen many jackfruit trees mentioned that I should prune some of the branches off my jackfruit tree to encourage it to flower.  Is there any truth to this?

I have a grafted jackfruit tree in-ground in my greenhouse that grows like crazy but hasn't flowered yet.  Trunk is about 4in diameter, and I have to prune it regularly to keep it under 10ft tall

RS

• Central FL, 9b/10a microclimate
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit - does sun exposure to trunk encourage fruiting?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 02:22:48 PM »
Sounds like it's best to expose the lower trunk. Unsure that it's sun exposure or just pruning.

From growables, https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/jackfruit.htm:

"The best place for the fruit to grow is on the lower trunk. It will fruit anywhere on the tree trunk but will be difficult to harvest higher up. Remove the lower limbs to expose the trunk, you will soon see new fruiting shoots around these cuts. Last summer fruiting spurs as well as the thin, wispy spurs that have not fruited should be also be removed, they will not fruit again."

I need to do this to my jackfruit too!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 07:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation.   Height isn't an issue for me because it can only get ~12ft before it hits the ceiling fans.   I just want it to fruit soon

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 12:28:06 AM »
Height isn't an issue for me because it can only get ~12ft before it hits the ceiling fans.

Just put some blades on the ceiling fan and you're done. How old is your tree? In the tropics, jackfruit grows very fast, I've topped mine and have prune off lower branches after around 1 year in the ground.