Author Topic: 2023 Mango Season  (Read 30315 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Mango Season
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2023, 12:58:21 PM »
I have both Glenn and Keitt.  Their fruit ripens at totally different times.  Keitt is extreme late season, Glenn is early season.  In my experience, Glenn is also disease prone-right now my tree only produced a few fruit this year due to powdery mildew.  Overall I really love the taste of tree ripened Glenn.  I would say Glenn is better than Keitt overall, though Keitt is very good.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2023, 02:38:39 PM »
Glenn and/or Edward are solid early-mid season mangoes. You can find better late season mangoes than Kent. M4, Lil Gem... some newer ones I do not recall at the moment

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2023, 05:31:47 PM »
oh sorry I mixed of up Keitt and Kent.  I think Glenn is definitely better than Kent.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2023, 07:56:58 PM »
This year the glenn have been real good or real bland. I've never seen
such a contrast. Another good one I have been eating is Florigon.
Early clean fruit it reminds me of sweet tart but a little less intense.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2023, 10:05:52 AM »
This year the glenn have been real good or real bland. I've never seen
such a contrast.
Now that my Glen have been producing over 6 years, most of these trees only produce sweet fruit from the beginning of the season. A few may be less intense for first week of bearing fruit.

Years ago before mature trees, the fruit was bland sometimes for a few weeks.

This year sweet intense peachy flavor for approximately 99% of the fruit of Glen.

I tend to get a similar effect with other varieties not being as intense flavored the first week of that tree bearing fruit. If the tree is young, a much higher percent chance of diminished flavor especially first week. However, many older trees have good fruit flavor from the beginning of fruit harvesting.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 10:12:40 AM by palmcity »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »

Love my Glenn also, it's my favorite mango in my yard. Mine have been excellent this year, most likely because we haven't had much rain, NO rain at all for the month of June so I think it has helped from making them bland from too much rain. We had more rain in May which is not normal, usually we don't get much rain here till June and July. Middle of June and 0 inches so far  :'(

I love my Keitt also because usually by the time they are ready all my Cogshall, Maha and Glenns are gone so it's nice to have a late variety mango. Cogshalls have been excellent also this year....still waiting to taste my Maha they are about a week or so before ripening. I love the flavor and texture of Maha and they are very fragrant when they are ripe. It's the most fragrant mango I have.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2023, 02:37:47 PM »

Love my Glenn also, it's my favorite mango in my yard. Mine have been excellent this year, most likely because we haven't had much rain, NO rain at all for the month of June so I think it has helped from making them bland from too much rain. We had more rain in May which is not normal, usually we don't get much rain here till June and July. Middle of June and 0 inches so far  :'(

Does the rain impact the flavor of the Glenn only while the tree is blooming and producing fruit? Or would a wet Autumn cause fruit to be bland?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »
Rain when fruits are maturing, prior to ripening, can cause the flavor to be washed out.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2023, 04:42:57 PM »
Rain when fruits are maturing, prior to ripening, can cause the flavor to be washed out.

I agree with Roblack, that has been my experience with my mangoes. A lot of rain in past years has also caused several of them to split, I haven't had a single one split this year. I love rain and we do need it very badly but too much of it can cause some issues with some mature mangoes/fruits

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2023, 07:46:07 PM »
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Of course nothing can be done about the rain but at least I'll know what happened if my Glenn's and Maha's taste funky.  :'(

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2023, 08:08:30 PM »
Inconsistent rainfall/watering leads to splitting in prone varieties. Too little, then too much. Irrigation during dry spells helps lessen splitting. Hard to do anything about too much rain.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2023, 08:48:58 PM »
The rainy season kicked in a couple of months early this year. Some of the mangoes have been slightly lower in brix. Fortunately MBBS hasn't been a problem.
Jeff  :-)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2023, 09:23:39 PM »
The rainy season kicked in a couple of months early this year. Some of the mangoes have been slightly lower in brix. Fortunately MBBS hasn't been a problem.

Does that mean that MBBS is less virulent in rainy weather? Or do you attribute it to something else?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2023, 09:02:59 AM »
Not sure, but think MBBS is fueled by high humidity, and Cookie was remarking upon it being remarkable that there was no bad issue with MBBS, with all the rain we've had.

Update. In another thread I reported on a Bolt vs LZ battle, in which Bolt won.

Latest battle was Bolt vs. Ceci Love...

CL took Bolt to the mat. Brighter and more flavorful mango. Of course, many would say more samplings and battles must be fought. But from past years, CL has been the standout as well.

Need to have a Sugar Loaf, Ceci Love, Sweet Tart Battle Royale. 

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2023, 12:51:10 PM »
Not sure, but think MBBS is fueled by high humidity, and Cookie was remarking upon it being remarkable that there was no bad issue with MBBS, with all the rain we've had.

Update. In another thread I reported on a Bolt vs LZ battle, in which Bolt won.

Latest battle was Bolt vs. Ceci Love...

CL took Bolt to the mat. Brighter and more flavorful mango. Of course, many would say more samplings and battles must be fought. But from past years, CL has been the standout as well.

Need to have a Sugar Loaf, Ceci Love, Sweet Tart Battle Royale.

Rob are you experiencing MBBS on your property?  As far as I know my trees don't have MBBS, how prevalent is this in the Miami area?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2023, 01:27:36 PM »
No MBBS on any of my trees/fruits, but my neighbor's TA appears to get it or something similar, pretty bad.

...I do not spray, never have
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 01:32:28 PM by roblack »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2023, 02:13:35 PM »
Correct. MBBS should be decimating the harvest right now, but only a half a dozen or so affected fruits despite the insane rain and humidity. And I haven't even sprayed since bloom.

Jeff  :-)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2023, 08:20:18 PM »
Glad to see Cookie Monster posting again! I've learned a lot from your posts. Hope all's well!

Dang it, Honest Abe, per what you wrote about when to pick the Sugarloafs, I left mine on the tree too long. When I picked them, the yellow spot on a bunch was sizeable, and all the stems were dry. After only a couple days, the yellow spots are starting to feel mushy, while the rest of the fruits are still hard ☹️

Here's to hoping for no hurricanes and freezes, and for better luck picking Sugarloaf next year!

P.s. the recent NDM #4 blooms amounted to nothing.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2023, 11:00:55 PM »
No Glenn’s in Kona this year :( anyone in FL growing golden glow?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2023, 04:32:43 PM »
...and welcome back Cookie! The site certainly can use your experience, wisdom and reason =)

Sux about ndm blooms burning out Flip; a few of our winter blooms did the same (maha, coco cream). Have had only 1 ndm so far this year, and it was surprisingly exceptional.

Just picked 1st 2 Sweet Tarts. They are hard and mostly green, but popped off pretty easily and had drying stems.

Few Sugar Loafs and Ceci Loves have come in, and picked an OS the other day as well. Glenns are almost gone.

So far, has been our best mango season here at the house, and as well with the mangoes from other growers. 2023 is the Summer of Mango Love!

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2023, 11:35:04 PM »
I picked some sugarloafs when stems were brown and hollow and fruit had sap drips and seemed full sized…let ripen in garage for 7 days or so. OUTSTANDING even ripening and full flavor bomb potential was unleashed. I think is best for me when I see first one get yellow and soft on tree to pick all others from that crop and leave 7-10 days in garage.

My baileys marvels are excellent this year as well. Very short shelf life on those. Pick em when they turn yellow (seems to happen overnight with BM) and then eat within 2-3 days MAX.

As far as my neighborhood here:

DOT is second best so far behind my sugarloaf.

Duncan’s have been really sweet.

edwards have been awesome.

Carrie crop is slim on my dads tree lot of drops from summer storms but the few left on tree are great.

Happy hunting y’all.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »
Oh boy, I finally got my hands on some PPK/LM today.  Mango candy!  ;D
John

turtle_hermit

• USDA zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2023, 12:49:23 PM »
I recently had my first PPK, the flavor and texture were very good in my opinion.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2023, 03:20:51 PM »
This is the first year my PPK is fruiting. Some fell off early and took a long time to soften and the flavor was decent but not great. I still have 3 hanging on the tree but they’re still hard and not yellow so I’m still waiting.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2023, 06:12:46 PM »
I recently had my first PPK, the flavor and texture were very good in my opinion.
Occasionally they'll be bitter at or near the skin, which is the only thing that can be bad about this variety.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk