Author Topic: Where to buy boxes?  (Read 697 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Where to buy boxes?
« on: January 18, 2023, 09:33:12 PM »
So I want to ship more stuff easier and need to find a place to buy boxes. USPS is too expensive and I’m just fed up with them.
I looked at uline, but shipping is more than a quarter of the cost of the boxes…what…size like 6*6*24 or something like that. 50 box plus shipping is like $120 lol
Is there any other place to get these cheap?

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy boxes?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 09:44:19 PM »
go to any grocery store and ask for them-

might need to do some constructing but it will be free99

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 09:46:56 PM »
You can try going around and finding them, but an alternative if you need that specific size:

https://www.amazon.com/Partners-Brand-P2466-Corrugated-Boxes/dp/B01D3BH8AM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=N47JJ0L586NW&keywords=24x6x6%2Bshipping%2Bbox&qid=1674096230&sprefix=24x6x6%2Bshipping%2Bbox%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1&th=1

25-pack of 24x6x6 for $27.99, free shipping with Amazon Prime.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 10:07:56 PM »
You can try going around and finding them, but an alternative if you need that specific size:

https://www.amazon.com/Partners-Brand-P2466-Corrugated-Boxes/dp/B01D3BH8AM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=N47JJ0L586NW&keywords=24x6x6%2Bshipping%2Bbox&qid=1674096230&sprefix=24x6x6%2Bshipping%2Bbox%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1&th=1

25-pack of 24x6x6 for $27.99, free shipping with Amazon Prime.
Thanks! After some digging around I ended up buying those. Hopefully they will do the job. Just need to keep my plants in smaller pots.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 05:27:53 AM »
No need to buy boxes. I usually pick them up at stores especially stores like dollar general where all their boxes are conveniently in little carts next to their dumpster area. In most cases depending on weight(up to a few pounds) shipping priority mail package in your own boxes with dimensions no longer than 22 inches and wider and or talIer than about 10 inches is cheaper than flat rate by a few dollars. If the package is exceedingly heavier than 5-6lbs flat rate might be cheaper also depending on where the package is going too. There's so much packaging waste from boxes to bubble wrap/newspapers etc is a shame anyone buys boxes and packing materials at all.
Trying to grow it all!

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 11:47:22 AM »
Reach out to your neighbors and ask them to save Amazon boxes

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 04:07:30 PM »
Thanks all. I’m starting to send more stuff and it’s nice to have a definite size for ease of shipping.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 05:25:27 PM »
free boxes are the best, but remember that USPS now changed their oversize rates so even 25" is $2-4 difference.  Whatever the total linear inches is your goal to maintain. There's been times, off by an inch the price went from $29 to $60 for me.  Ended up going back and trying to make a custom box that fit the plant as well as the USPS rate calculator...it eats up your time.  Time is something can never gain back. 

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 05:50:46 PM »
No need to buy boxes. I usually pick them up at stores especially stores like dollar general where all their boxes are conveniently in little carts next to their dumpster area. In most cases depending on weight(up to a few pounds) shipping priority mail package in your own boxes with dimensions no longer than 22 inches and wider and or talIer than about 10 inches is cheaper than flat rate by a few dollars. If the package is exceedingly heavier than 5-6lbs flat rate might be cheaper also depending on where the package is going too. There's so much packaging waste from boxes to bubble wrap/newspapers etc is a shame anyone buys boxes and packing materials at all.

Makes total sense to me D.

...try to keep received boxes and material that can be potentially used again in the future, but the laundry room and garage have become difficult to navigate at times with all the cardboard and bubble wrap.

Seems stupid, the waste that takes place in shipping and packaging. Ordered passion fruit that came with foam wrap around each fruit. Asked them to not send the foam next time, more foam. Fruits were good though. Glad my plants are producing again, and no foam. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 05:53:31 PM by roblack »