Author Topic: Fruit tree types that produce in winter Florida 9B  (Read 1337 times)

Forestplanter

• Okeechobee, Florida, 9b
    • View Profile
Fruit tree types that produce in winter Florida 9B
« on: July 27, 2023, 01:08:37 PM »
So  I am somewhat new to this forum. My family has a 70 acre property in Highlands County just north of Okeechobee city within the southern end of Zone 9B. The land is a mix of oak hammock, bay swamp, open pasture, upland pine, and palmettos. I am beginning to plant various fruit trees scattered throughout the landscape primarily for wildlife along with personal use and enjoyment.

As you all know most fruit trees produce between spring to fall. Is there any trees that would produce from late fall through winter?

So far I think persimmon may along with everbearing mulberry will be productive during wintertime.

Any other thoughts on wintertime productive trees?

Thanks in advance

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Re: Fruit tree types that produce in winter Florida 9B
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:51:15 PM »
Some avocado cultivars ripen then.

I don't know about persimmon, I'm mostly familiar with that in colder areas, but it usually is finished by fall in most places. Maybe it'll ripen longer without a hard frost?

Citrus would be an obvious answer if it weren't for greening, but you may want to try some more resistant varieties?

I'm not sure if black sapote would survive in 9b, but if it'll grow for you then that's when it ripens. Same for sapodilla. Maybe dragonfruit?

I'm sure there are many others, but that's what comes to mind for me.

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 02:33:48 PM »
You're far enough south that you could probably get away with growing black sapote with Persimmon. Sapodilla and Canistel are both good choices for late fall/winter fruit too. I think some carambola have a winter flush as well but I'm not positive.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »
Loquat

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2023, 01:21:46 AM »
I've had good luck with jujube in the wintertime.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 10:07:21 AM »
In a slightly warmer Queensland climate jaboticabas are fruiting, abius are ripening, sapodillas are having their winter crops and canistels and ross sapotes are on the trees.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 10:54:06 AM »
Jujube is an excellent recommendation being both highly drought resistant and slightly hardy. Plant it some where that never floods. Deer will eat both the fruit and tree.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 04:47:04 PM »
Loquat

This would be my go-to if I didn't have fruit flies to worry about.
Not too high on Indian jujube but I hear great things about the Chinese one that needs more cold than what 10b has to offer

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 03:53:10 PM »
I have good luck with Monroe avocado. Pretty cold resistant, excellent fruit and produces December/January. Loquat and Surinam Cherries are very early, March/April and also cold hardy.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 10:12:38 AM »
Jujube? In winter? Its a deciduous tree or it is in 9b. Loses its leaves in fall and is fairly unattractive, the fruit is kind of meh anyway. Irish Strawberry isnt specifically winter ripening and ripens throughout the year. Citrus of course but has its own issues and if you dont have oaks, dont bother.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 09:18:34 AM »
Jujube? In winter? Its a deciduous tree or it is in 9b. Loses its leaves in fall and is fairly unattractive, the fruit is kind of meh anyway. Irish Strawberry isnt specifically winter ripening and ripens throughout the year. Citrus of course but has its own issues and if you dont have oaks, dont bother.
I was at a talk from the University of Florida. They have a huge research farm west of Ft. Pierce. They said that "Sugar Belle" Mandarin, "Sun Dragon" Orange and "Star Ruby" Grapefruit are very greening disease tolerant. They say a lot, so I planted a Sugar Belle and a Star Ruby in my yard. Too early to give any evaluation, but so far, so good.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »
I went walking through my new property last night and discovered some more clear areas in the palmetto under oaks I hadnt noticed before. Next year I might give some more varieties of citrus a try. Always happy to try a new mandarin flavor and while I personally do not care for grapefruit, they do turn into really nice big trees that would look good under the oaks. Dont know what a sun dragon is but it has a cool name.

I have no clue what variety of jujube I have is. It does have thorns and the fruit is about  the size of 2/3 of my thumb. Yeah it tastes like a super grainy and dry apple. 

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 10:24:35 AM »
I went walking through my new property last night and discovered some more clear areas in the palmetto under oaks I hadnt noticed before. Next year I might give some more varieties of citrus a try. Always happy to try a new mandarin flavor and while I personally do not care for grapefruit, they do turn into really nice big trees that would look good under the oaks. Dont know what a sun dragon is but it has a cool name.

I have no clue what variety of jujube I have is. It does have thorns and the fruit is about  the size of 2/3 of my thumb. Yeah it tastes like a super grainy and dry apple.

It's talked about here:
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46394.0

I don't know that there was consensus about its parentage, other than it probably has US-119 in it. Considered the first really commercially-edible poncirus hybrid. Not sure how it's going with getting it cleared for juice purposes.