Author Topic: What are you doing for/with your mango trees  (Read 475 times)

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
What are you doing for/with your mango trees
« on: October 06, 2023, 01:11:15 PM »
Itís October, and I was wondering if you are doing anything for your mango trees.
My last pruning was 2 weeks ago, for a non-producing Florigon. Iíve been doing monthly fertilizer regimen per Zillís mango note. I also water my mango trees weekly, twice a week for some, since they are all younger than 2 years old (in ground). I have not sprayed anything, and I am waiting for temperature to drop a bit more before spraying copper to prevent anthracnose.

What have you been doing for your mango trees? I am hoping to create a maintenance schedule for my mango trees so I wonít have to ask myself WTH am I supposed to do 

Thanks!
Tom

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing for/with your mango trees
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 04:18:57 PM »
I have a Glen and a Maha, both about 4 years old and in the ground for almost 3 years. I'm really not doing anything right now with fertilizer and I've never sprayed them with anything because there haven't been any problems to arise (fingers crossed). I am soon going to toss some zero-nitrogen fertilizer on them sometime later this month, and prune back some long branches that need it. That's about it.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 06:41:11 PM »
Nothing. Mangoís grow well without much need for anything. I usually cut newly planted trees off of water within 6 months unless itís a really bad drought but I do have wood chips and living mulch/ground cover under them.  Besides compost and worm castings occasionally, they donít get fertilizer.

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 08:43:03 PM »
Thanks all.
I noticed some sign of anthracnose on the Cat Saigon tree last week and gave it and other mango trees a good copper spray. I will spray copper again next weekend to make sure.
Today I gave all the trees 8-3-9 fertilizer and a fresh layer of cypress mulch.

Tom

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 08:44:23 PM »
Catching up on trimming, that's it.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 10:18:36 PM »
I live the drenching or fertigation techniques.  I'll use the 5-1-1 fish, mycorhyzae powder, unsulfured molasses and worm tea. Next month I'm going to add the 0-10-10 fish to the .ixture and run it through the dripline where it's possible and drench the rest with my black storage totes on the trailer I pull with the lawnmower. One day I'll re do the layout for the irrigation so they all start off the same location. Plumbing the line so it's a permanent set up. In my opinion it works better than chemical fertilizer on the dry sand since it actually makes it to the root zone and adds life Into the soil. Fertigation/drenching has given me the best results so far.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 09:32:17 AM »
I learned a few years ago to quit doing anything to mine once they are settled. I trim to keep them about 7 feet tall and wide so I can easily cover them when it freezes and thats about it. I dont even fertilize them or add any kind of pesticide unless I see those nasty weevils. Then I will add a root drench. Now that I have several avocado trees the weevils tend to congregate there instead of on the mangos.

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 10:04:43 AM »
Occasional manure, but other than that nothing. Let the living mulch/weeds grow around them and they flourish.

xesoteryc

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 02:37:56 PM »
I know it's probably in bad taste to come on a forum and post video links, but there is a guy named Orlando Gardener on YouTube and he has had tremendous success with potted mangos. It is very motivating for anyone who eventually wants one of their own to see the work he has done.