Author Topic: Grow bags?  (Read 507 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Grow bags?
« on: December 08, 2023, 09:34:24 AM »
I would like to experiment with growing some trees in grow bags. I have heard good things especially on growing mango and other trees that dont like to be water logged. What are some good bags in the 20-30 gallon range that have a stated 5 year or so lifespan?

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Grow bags?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 11:48:22 AM »
Tropheus,

I had success with my 15-gal grow bags. My C. peltata exploded with growth, gave it away to a friend, and my juicy peach mango is doing very well too. Purchased as a 3-gal about 1.5 years ago, barely paid any attention to it except for a recent thin layer of mulch.

I have three 15-gal grow bags left. If youre interested, Ill be up in Orlando near the parks this weekend (until sunday morning) and I can bring em, feel free to grab them. Just shoot me a PM.

tropical_rag_g-fruitforum

• Zone 9b; FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 01:24:57 PM »
What brand and where did you buy them?

Avofan

• Oakland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 01:40:26 PM »
I had all my avocados in grow bags. They were perpetually under watered. I switched to a well draining soil mix and plastic pot and they are doing much better. It seems like fabric pots means you need to water every day.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 01:45:25 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Plant-Grow-Gallon-6-Pack/dp/B0B2P71753/ref=sr_1_8?crid=29LSEEMNAZ2AQ&keywords=15%2Bgallon%2Bgrow%2Bbags&qid=1702060884&sprefix=15%2Bgallon%2Bgrow%2Bbag%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-8&th=1

I believe I purchased this brand, iPower. Nothing crazy, but these 15-gals have outlasted most fabric 3-gal pots around here. Handles still hold the weight of the mango after almost 2 yrs, so good enough for me. Theyre roughly all the same quality tbh.

As far as soil mix, I agree with Avofan. They can dry out quickly, especially during the summer. I end up watering daily for most things during peak summer down here anyways.
I dont recall the ratio I used for soil, but something similar to a generic seed starting mix that can hold a decent amount of moisture, usually a good amount of peat moss or coco coir. A thin layer of mulch helped too.

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2023, 02:22:00 PM »
I had all my avocados in grow bags. They were perpetually under watered. I switched to a well draining soil mix and plastic pot and they are doing much better. It seems like fabric pots means you need to water every day.

Everything in any pot needs to be watered every day once the tree reaches it's full size. The tree will grow until it runs out of water. Water once a week and the full size will be small if not dead. Water once a day and it can grow bigger. Move that to twice a day and it can grow bigger still.

I've had good luck growing all kinds of fruit trees in both plastic and fabric pots. In fabric they don't need root pruning nearly as often if at all.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2023, 03:48:01 PM »
Appreciate the offer. I live on the exact opposite end of the county from the parks. It would cost almost as much as the amazon deal in tolls to get out there. But thanks for the link, seems like a pretty good deal.

I have been using fox farm potting soil lately on a lot of things. Seems like pretty good stuff. Maybe I'll mix in some extra perlite.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 05:01:42 PM »
I donít recommend them long term. They tend to create channels, and promote hydrophobia on media.

For tomatoes or peppers, annual plants, theyíre top tier. The amount of watering is super excessive in hot dry weather, as well. I think theyíre better in FL or more humid locale, but Iím not a fan for CA nor for long term usage.

Used to use them a lot to avoid paying the big plastic pot tax, but now gladly pay the price for plastic. After losing nice plants, Iím over them.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 06:57:01 AM »
I got excellent results with pitayas and mangoes, but they indeed need more water than normal pots. Because of that, it's key to use in the mix a high proportion of stuff that can absorb a lot of water, like coir, and don't let it dry. As these bags provide high aeration, using big plastic dishes in the bottom and keeping them full of water helps to keep the moisture without the risk of creating anaerobic conditions of normal pots.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 08:39:00 AM »
Wouldnt having plastic dishes under them eventually rot the bottoms of the bags?

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2023, 10:00:58 AM »
Wouldnt having plastic dishes under them eventually rot the bottoms of the bags?

The ones I use are ok, and the oldest have been there for 3 years or more, some even have moss growing on them and no problems so far. They are pretty resistant to humidity and sun.