Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Malay Apple-Syzygium malaccense Graft attempt!

(1/1)

Jackfruitwhisperer69:
Hi to all :).

Last year I harvested some Malay apple fruits from a mature tree at the Parque de Santa Catarina in Funchal, Which were very good with mild pear flavor and very juicy!, I'm really amazed that a tree native to Malaysia, Sumatra and Java can grow very well in the Subtropics!

The tree is really ornamental and very Beautiful when it's blooming ;D ;D ;D

Here's some pic's of the Mature tree!

The rootstock is about 7-8 month old and very healthy :) which I grew my self!!!

As you can see, the tree is actively growing!

I done a Side-vaneer graft and left two leaves which I reduced the size to more than Half!
Berto,Thanks for the tip  ;D ;D ;D

I then wrapped the scion with a Plastic bag to prevent it from drying out!!!

Hopefully, the Graft will take ;D ;D ;D

fruitlovers:
Hi Steven, here malay apple is called mountain apple. That may give you some hint as to why it can do well in your climate. It fruits fine here to about 2000 foot (600 meters) elevation. Good luck with your graft.
Oscar

Felipe:
Steven,

so far, all Syzygium do excellent over here! Very productive and very fast growers! My concern was that they maybe would need high humidity, but it's not the case...

Good look with your grafts. Please keep us updated ;)

Jackfruitwhisperer69:

--- Quote from: fruitlovers on March 12, 2012, 06:55:38 PM ---Hi Steven, here malay apple is called mountain apple. That may give you some hint as to why it can do well in your climate. It fruits fine here to about 2000 foot (600 meters) elevation. Good luck with your graft.
Oscar

--- End quote ---

Hi Oscar :),
That really explains why the tree can grow well here! :)
Today, I found this PDF Doc. on Malay apple from Hawaii! http://agroforestry.net/tti/Syzygium-Malayapple.pdf
 It has loades of pics and Info on the tree!!! It definitely answered all my Question's on the tree!  Fantastic!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thanks ;D ;D ;D

Jackfruitwhisperer69:

--- Quote from: Felipe on March 12, 2012, 09:04:51 PM ---Steven,

so far, all Syzygium do excellent over here! Very productive and very fast growers! My concern was that they maybe would need high humidity, but it's not the case...

Good look with your grafts. Please keep us updated ;)

--- End quote ---

Hi Felipe :),
So, the tree also grows very well in the Canary Island's:) It sure is an adaptable tree ;D ;D ;D
We also have a very large Rose apple tree that is also very productive! But, that incense smell put me off!!!!

BTW, I saw the pics on Google +!!! You have an excellent collection of fruit trees ;D ;D ;D and the drip irrigation, Is an excellent Idea!!!
The cashew seedling look's promising!!! I hope it start's to produce soon for you ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version