Author Topic: Interesting Lychee Genome Article  (Read 640 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Interesting Lychee Genome Article
« on: January 04, 2022, 03:25:03 PM »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Lychee Genome Article
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 11:17:05 PM »
Very interesting! I gather from the article that there are cultivars that will bloom and ripen earlier than anything available in Florida currently. I believe Amboina and Sam Yu Hung would be in that category.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 08:42:14 AM »
A nice take away is they are developing a test to help predict wether the lychee will be an early or late producer, based on the genetic make up of the sample. Say a breeder is trying to breed early or late cultivars, once the parents are crossed the seedlings can be screened by tissue sample to see if the genetic make up is an early or late producer, this saves years of waiting to see the seedling will produce on its own as early or late.

-Joe

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »
I was reading this the other day as well. If the test are more available this would be great for some amateur breeding.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 08:41:36 PM »
Fay Zee Siu F1 hybird,emanating from to regions,Yunnan and Hainan Island far apart!"(The findings suggest that the evolutionary split between Litchi chinensis populations in Yunnan and Hainan could have occurred around 18,000 years ago)"Hainan Island is were I assumed they originated.Yunnan a lot more cold,must be some cold hardy,like Brewster lychee.