Author Topic: Yellow strawberry guava: sun vs shade  (Read 1292 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Yellow strawberry guava: sun vs shade
« on: December 18, 2021, 04:58:53 PM »
I have 8 trees. 6 in full sun and two in half shade. The ones in full sun fruit months earlier, set more fruit and produce pleasant but unimpressive fruit even when thinned. They were done 3 months ago. The shaded ones weren't ready until the others were completely gone and continue till now. The fruit from the shaded are fewer but excellent, richer, sweeter, everything. Taste like a tropical version of strawberry with a hint of cloves at the end. GIve it a shot.

Shane

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow strawberry guava: sun vs shade
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »
My yellow cattley guavas seem to mostly fall while they are still a bit green.  I had them in full sun but now they are in the winter greenhouse with much less sun.  I guess I'll see soon enough, they have new fruits forming

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »
Hi Shane,

You gave me two seedlings when I were at your house 2 years ago.  All of them are in full sun, and gave me couple fruits this past year.  The fruits were not sweeter, very juicy, and almost favorless.  There are in a 2 gal pot.  I will repot them this come spring and one will put in shaded area and full sun the other one. 

I have a red strawberry guava tree in the front year, over 10 years old.  It give a lot fruits every year, strong favor, sweet, a lot seeds, and small fruits.  Taste better than the yellow one.

Thanks,
Al
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:25:02 PM by pinkturtle »

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 09:59:34 PM »
I have 8 trees. 6 in full sun and two in half shade. The ones in full sun fruit months earlier, set more fruit and produce pleasant but unimpressive fruit even when thinned. They were done 3 months ago. The shaded ones weren't ready until the others were completely gone and continue till now. The fruit from the shaded are fewer but excellent, richer, sweeter, everything. Taste like a tropical version of strawberry with a hint of cloves at the end. GIve it a shot.

Shane, is it lemon guava? It seems to be the same as my lemon guava. Your fruits were super big, juicy and sweet, really delicious.

My lemon guava is in partial shade. They are much smaller than yours. The early reopening ones were so so, but the last ones from Dec were pretty good. It seems a good idea to thin the early fruits for lemon guava?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 10:54:51 AM »
I leave mine in full sun and it produces great crops. This year I didn't thin at all and they were just as big as last year when I heavily thinned. Nice little garden snack. It was kind of lanky growing in a more shaded area so I rotated it to full sun.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 04:43:52 PM »

Shane, is it lemon guava? It seems to be the same as my lemon guava. Your fruits were super big, juicy and sweet, really delicious.

My lemon guava is in partial shade. They are much smaller than yours. The early reopening ones were so so, but the last ones from Dec were pretty good. It seems a good idea to thin the early fruits for lemon guava?

Mine are psidium cattleyanum var. Littoral. I think lemon guava is something different. I've brought mine to brads tastings several times.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 04:45:11 PM »
I leave mine in full sun and it produces great crops. This year I didn't thin at all and they were just as big as last year when I heavily thinned. Nice little garden snack. It was kind of lanky growing in a more shaded area so I rotated it to full sun.

The ones I have in full sun are nice little snacks too. The ones in shade are a flavor explosion and probably the best fruit I have in my yard. 
Shane

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
Mine is in a container and I have it in full sun. The fruit when yellow are sweet without any hint of tartness. I prefer them a little before they get fully yellow when there is a good balance of sweet and tart. Being in north Texas it gets a lot of heat and tolerates it very well.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 06:12:43 PM »
I heard someone else say cooler temps help the flavor. Maybe that's the key, since your shaded ones produce in late fall instead of late summer.

Mine is under a house eave probably half sun. This year, the early ones were bland and late ones were good. Think I picked the last one a week ago.
- Val

nana7b

• North Texas, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 07:03:24 AM »
I have noticed that in other fruits such as figs and jujubes the longer it takes to ripen(usually cooler weather and later in the season) the more flavorful the fruits are. Perhaps they have more time to accumulate sugars and other solids. I have noticed also that my regular guavas that sometimes ripen late and in the garage during winter storage have very little sugar or flavor(cold and shade, I do have some shop lights on them)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 09:14:59 AM »
I also have three yellow guava plants, the catleyanum type. One of them produced quite big fruits this year, but were not very sweet nor did they had much of a flavour to them.
I have another one which was bought as a red stralberry type ,but turned out to be yellow, i makee smaller fruit but the flavour was way better than the one with the bigger ones. It should be said that i ususally pich most of my fruits slightly under ripe, due to beeing not able to wait them out.  ..
I also had several fruits from my red strawberry guava this year, they were also very nice .
Expecting alot more from all of those next year. By the way they are all greenhouse grown under a 4 mill policarbonate and some shade cloth suspended high above the gh.
They seem to be ripening from mid october onwards for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk