Author Topic: ID HELP: Annona squamosa or cherimola seeds?  (Read 641 times)

Flaffy

• Bristol, United Kingdom
    • View Profile
ID HELP: Annona squamosa or cherimola seeds?
« on: November 18, 2022, 10:38:44 AM »
Hi all! I bought some sugar apple seeds that were sold as A. squamosa, but the package label lists the seeds as A. cherimola.

I'm not familiar with the differences between the seed morphologies. Can anyone help identify which species these seeds are most likely to be?

Dimensions:
Length: over 1cm
Width: over 0.5cm

« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 11:05:19 AM by Flaffy »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: ID HELP: Annona squamosa or cherimola seeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 03:13:24 PM »
Those look a little more plump and elongated ,compared to cherimoya seeds ive seen.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 03:46:25 PM »
Morphological differences in cherimoya fruit are great, so without genetic testing, I don't think you can conclusively determine that they are not cherimoya seeds. Given the mix of seed shapes and sizes in the bag, it's most likely a mix of seeds from multiple fruits.

At best the seller should know better than to ship seeds labeled differently that what was sold.

If you're only interested in acquisition of an example of the species and without concern for the cultivar, it shouldn't be too difficult to acquire seeds of the correct one.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
They could be reticulatas also. "Custards Apple"   If you germinate them you will know soon.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 03:45:49 PM »
You should be able to find Cherimoya fruits sold in the UK BTW.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 08:39:08 PM »
The cherimoya seeds I've seen had always been more flat and rougher texture.  Those look more like atemoyas and sugar apples because it's more oval, plump, and smooth. 

Cherimoya left 2 seeds, Atemoya right 2 seeds.

Flaffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:17 PM »
Thank you all for the responses! I'm specifically hunting for A. squamosa, sugar apple. Not interested in cherimoyas, atemoyas or reticulatas, even though they're fantastic fruits in their own right.

I've eaten a lot of sugar apples back in my home country, but I only recall that the seeds were jet black (due to freshness out of the fruit?), plump and smooth. Like @Oolie said these seeds don't really look like they come from a single fruit, especially the flatter & more angular ones in the bag.

They could be reticulatas also. "Custards Apple"   If you germinate them you will know soon.

How do I differenciate between the seedlings? Is there a place that details the leaf morphologies for comparison between species? The seller's sending me the correct seeds (mistakes happen), so will be posting those here as well for comparison. Definitely interested to see how the seeds I have on hand germinate too.

The cherimoya seeds I've seen had always been more flat and rougher texture.  Those look more like atemoyas and sugar apples because it's more oval, plump, and smooth. 

Cherimoya left 2 seeds, Atemoya right 2 seeds.

Thanks for the comparison pic! Yeah my seeds seem to be too smooth and plump to be Cherimoyas proper, but the jury is still out on whether these are Atemoya or Sugar apples.

You should be able to find Cherimoya fruits sold in the UK BTW.

I see a lot of listings using "Sugar Apple", "Custard Apple" and "Sweetsop" here interchangeably. So things get confusing when ordering fresh fruit online.
One site I saw specifically had a listing for Sugar apples, but all the review pictures show that they're cherimoyas instead. :-\

Flaffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 07:51:52 PM »
Another thing I wanted to ask, how many cultivars of Annona squamosa are there? And how do they compare with each other?

So far I'm aware of these two:
- "Lessard Thai"

- "Na Dai Vietnamese"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk