Author Topic: Tropical Raspberry?  (Read 7861 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Tropical Raspberry?
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

My brother gave me a small pot with what he said was a tropical heritage raspberry.I assured him the real raspberries will just die in the tropics and never bear fruit. Maybe the trashy old native Atherton Raspberry we see in the mountains could survive but not the real deal.Within a couple of weeks canes sprouted madly from the tiny pot festooned with flowers and I have been eating lovely raspberries for a week and this is summer.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tropical Raspberry?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Nice raspberry, share the seeds around  :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »
Any idea of the origin of these raspberries?  Are they green or are those umripe?  I think Helton offers a green raspberry.

John

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:04:05 AM »
Nothing like fresh raspberries  ;D.
Jackson

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 01:11:37 AM »
I ate all the big fat red ones and they were delicious.After that I took those lame pictures but there will be some red ones again tomorrow.I tried to find out the variety or source but I just hit fog.It was acquired through a swap and then passed on to me.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:15:30 AM »
This site has many more berry's that i had never heard of. Maybe you got one of those.

https://www.pinterest.com/satnamstudios/collection-fruits/

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
This site has many more berry's that i had never heard of. Maybe you got one of those.

https://www.pinterest.com/satnamstudios/collection-fruits/
I think I need more land.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
Mike are you sure this isn't the QLD raspberry--Rubus Moluccanus?

It certainly fits the description and the pictures seem spot on. Very hard to tell from sight with Rubus though.

s
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
No Starling that is the wild bramble that grows everywhere whereas this is just a standard looking domestic raspberry.It is also different from the native Atherton raspberry.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:09 PM »
No Starling that is the wild bramble that grows everywhere whereas this is just a standard looking domestic raspberry.It is also different from the native Atherton raspberry.

Rubus probus is a nice raspberry, but I don't think they are worth growing in the end. I ended up getting rid of mine because of it was so low bearing for its size, and they are sure are viciously spiny. These days I just have Heritage and tayberries. These do ok here in Brisbane but I have had issues with the heritage getting burnt, tayberries will be 'wait and see'.

I've seen (supposed) moluccanus that looked nigh on indistinguishable from the heritage---these weren't like the small sized, ratty feral ones. Maybe a hybrid?

The plant you have is identical to the one I'm talking about, for all appearances being exactly like a Heritage.

My heritage does not have flowers ATM let alone fruit.

s
Arpeggiated Minor Sevenths: They're pretty, and they'll make women want to have sex with you.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 08:20:48 PM »
My two raspberries fruited well when they were alive, but never came back the third season. I didnt treat them very well though. One was Heritage and the other was Autumn Bliss. If a thornless Atherton Raspberry was found it would make that one well worth growing. For the minute I am just growing the thornless youngberry, which is a beast. moluccanus is quite different. I tried a bunch of different ones, both native and exotic, and the only thing worth it IMHO are the youngberries.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »
My two raspberries fruited well when they were alive, but never came back the third season. I didnt treat them very well though. One was Heritage and the other was Autumn Bliss. If a thornless Atherton Raspberry was found it would make that one well worth growing. For the minute I am just growing the thornless youngberry, which is a beast. moluccanus is quite different. I tried a bunch of different ones, both native and exotic, and the only thing worth it IMHO are the youngberries.

+ 1 on the thornless youngberry, mine are also powering along and can take the heat like no other berry I've grown. I'm yet to taste the fruit.

I have my heritage growing on swish trellis made from an old iron bed frame in dappled light/part shade, and they are doing pretty well. Boysenberry is planted at the same spot and isn't doing great--horrible spiky thing.

s

s

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »

Here is the same bunch of flowers as before with ripening fruit.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 02:25:37 AM »

Here is the same bunch of flowers as before with ripening fruit.

This is interesting. Check out the this ebay listing for tropical raspberry; I used tineye and the photo didn't ping as being a generic image ripped from any site. This looks exactly like the kind of raspberry I have seen which has been called 'QLD raspberry'--very much like a heritage but slightly smaller and misshapen:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Qld-Raspberry-Seeds-ORGANIC-15-Seeds-Rubus-Moluccanus-/151122395344?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item232f98c0d0

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »
That is mis-identified starling as the leaves can be as big as dinner plates, runners can be as long as a house and the can stretch up to the rainforest canopy. Leaves should be pale centred and fruit are full of fibre. The grow just up the road from me. The pictured one is a standard edible species perhaps from the same source as mine.
Qld raspberry is usually meaning the wild Atherton raspberry that is a small non caning prickly bush in the mountains around here, Fruit can be gritty and have little taste.

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 02:59:27 AM »
That is mis-identified starling as the leaves can be as big as dinner plates, runners can be as long as a house and the can stretch up to the rainforest canopy. Leaves should be pale centred and fruit are full of fibre. The grow just up the road from me. The pictured one is a standard edible species perhaps from the same source as mine.
Qld raspberry is usually meaning the wild Atherton raspberry that is a small non caning prickly bush in the mountains around here, Fruit can be gritty and have little taste.

Yeah I figured it must be mislabelled. I wonder if it is the same variety?

Whatever you've got, it's a good.My heritage doesn't start to flower until really late summer/ early Autumn, raspberries at the height of summer would be a real treat. Will be interesting to see what it does as things start to cool down, an extra crop would seal it as one of the best out there. I'm experimenting with Mysore (R. Niveus) at the moment, but it will be while before I have anything to report. I know that this is successfully grown in Florida. My experience of the Atherton was that it was very sweet and lacked the complexity of the standard types. I didn't find it bad necessarily, just not up there with the others and nowhere near as heavy cropping.
s

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 06:38:25 AM »
I'm not at the heat level of northern Queensland.
Heritage is a variety that grows here in the states, who knows if it is the same thing (probably not).  I am growing several varieties of raspberry and the plants seems to do fine in the heat but the berries tend to be pretty mushy and breakdown in the heat, and a bit on the bland side.  Raspberries tend to be more delicate than blackberries.  I grow mine in an area that only gets mid day sun.

You do have to beat them back every year or they will take over, very invasive.

I just bought a couple of Mysore blacks, so I'll see how they do.

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
Wish we really had good raspberries here..would love to hear about new varieties for south florida.

I grew mysore and it grew like crazy- the canes were like razors though- you needed to wear armor just to prune the darn thing.

And the berries tasted really bad- I pulled out the whole thing.

I planted some blackberries- 2 varieties- its the second year and the canes finally grew - hopefully Ill get to taste some fruit before the squirrels

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
Sadhu in Puerto Rico grows "tasty tropical raspberry with several crops per year", according to himself.

Tomas

starling

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »
Wish we really had good raspberries here..would love to hear about new varieties for south florida.

I grew mysore and it grew like crazy- the canes were like razors though- you needed to wear armor just to prune the darn thing.

And the berries tasted really bad- I pulled out the whole thing.

I planted some blackberries- 2 varieties- its the second year and the canes finally grew - hopefully Ill get to taste some fruit before the squirrels

Have you tried growing the black raspberry? Not sure on the scientific name, but it isn't mysore.