Author Topic: E Wai Longan, has anyone come across it?  (Read 2131 times)

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
E Wai Longan, has anyone come across it?
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
The description of the E Wai longan variety sounds very appealing to me. Especially the softer, non-crisp texture. Has anyone seen this available for sale before, or know where to get it?

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: E Wai Longan, has anyone come across it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
Has anyone come across any sort of longan that was non crispy in texture more like a lychee or exceptional in other ways?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 01:43:39 AM »
Has anyone come across any sort of longan that was non crispy in texture more like a lychee or exceptional in other ways?

I tried what you've described and the flesh sticks onto the seed. It may be juicer but it gets very messy when you're opening the shell. Juice splatters all over your fingers.

Fruit4me has a grated branch of Ewai.

Tetsu0

• USA, FL, Tampa, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:15:45 PM »
It sounds like maybe not worth the trouble finding it, although often we excuse this fact of eating lychees. Excessive juicy/messiness is unacceptable when it comes to fruit like spanish lime especially. I will be looking out for this one just passively then.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
Is 'E-Wai' Longan the same thing as the 'Elian' Longan?

I bought the 'Elian' Longan on the recommendation of BSB, in that it has a reliable abundant fruit production regardless of cold/hot weather conditions.

I stepped it up into a large pot about two years ago, and it has produced abundant flowers for the past two years. I've removed most flowers last year and this year, to establish a good root system. I plan to get fruit from the few flowers I left on the tree and report on their quality.

I have high hopes for this variety and a good sunny spot on the yard for it. I hope everything goes according to plan, as I really love longan fruit.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:14:41 AM »
I think they're two different longans. The one you're referring to is ilian/ilao.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »
So what I have is supposedly 'Ilian'/'Ilao;' good to know; thanx.

I had never heard of the E Wai Longan. It sounds interesetingly good.

BTW, when I'm eating Longans or Lychee, I take it as a given that because of all the juice splattering, that it's gonna be a somewhat of a bit messy and sticky finger situation.

I think they're two different longans. The one you're referring to is ilian/ilao.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:35:33 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.