Author Topic: RFID tree tags  (Read 1408 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
RFID tree tags
« on: August 17, 2021, 08:38:23 AM »
I asked my son who is a tech genius about how I could tag trees for agritourism so that visitors could have a self guided experience using a cell phone. He quickly found that RFID tags are available for the purpose. When in proximity the phone powers up the tag giving you a website link to information.

I'm just now exploring the idea so haven't narrowed my sourcing and details etc but often see interest in tree tagging here and at this point it seems like this tech is available.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Re: RFID tree tags
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
Great idea. I tend to like physical signs but more information would be cool. Dji makes cool drones too for ag-mapping and data.

fruttier

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 11:30:43 PM »
Great idea. I tend to like physical signs but more information would be cool. Dji makes cool drones too for ag-mapping and data.

I heard that DJI makes various drones, but I have never heard of such ones. Good company, does a lot of good things

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 11:40:27 PM »
I asked my son who is a tech genius about how I could tag trees for agritourism so that visitors could have a self guided experience using a cell phone. He quickly found that RFID tags are available for the purpose. When in proximity the phone powers up the tag giving you a website link to information.

I'm just now exploring the idea so haven't narrowed my sourcing and details etc but often see interest in tree tagging here and at this point it seems like this tech is available.

Sounds like NFC tags. They're pretty neat. You have to hold the phone right next to it so you could probably integrate it into a sign of some sort.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 11:53:35 PM »
A QR code tagged to the tree will be sufficient.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 12:16:18 PM »
A QR code tagged to the tree will be sufficient.

A qr tag would be subject to the elements and would likely become unusable depending on the conditions. An nfc tag would likely be much more durable.