Author Topic: Silica to improve mango branch strength?  (Read 1181 times)

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Silica to improve mango branch strength?
« on: October 30, 2021, 04:37:22 PM »
Hi all,

I have noticed on my trees and from comments on mango trees in socal that droopiness of the trees (grafted in particular) can be quite an issue, heavy blooms and fruits causing newwer shoots to drop down. I was remembering that in cannabis growing silica is often added to increase the branch strength as heavy yields can commonly snap branches leading to a ruined crop. I have had success with silica in this regard.

I did some quick Google search and found this article https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=18607
Which summary says the same qualities are applicable to fruit trees. Stronger branches, better resistance to extreme Temperatures.

Has anyone tried this before? I believe I will begin giving it a go. Right now I'm in a cycle where growth will flush three times and the longer it gets the more it wants to droop. Then it blooms and requires all kinds of tying to support upright growth

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Silica to improve mango branch strength?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
Apparently, it prevents powdery mildew when applied as a foliage spray.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 05:52:57 PM »
I can only comment on bananas.  I threw it away after it almost wiped out my 2 dozen trees.
Overnight they turned rubber like & yellow.  My only thought why was super high pH.
Tested it with my pool strips trying to figure what might've caused it, pH was 8+ mixed at proper ratio.
Would lowering pH have prevented it?  Don't know.

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 06:04:31 PM »
I do have a ph tester and will adjust ph up or down to slightly acidic which is common practice in hydroponic gardening, but not generally considered for common gardening.

Thanks for the feed back as I should test run it on one of my less valuable trees before application overall

sbtropic

• USA, California, Santa Barbara, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 06:28:40 PM »
Silica would be helpful. Adding it would be helpful if your soil is low in it. Other minerals that would be part of this are Calcium and Boron.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:54:05 PM by sbtropic »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 09:17:30 PM »
Measure carefully, do jar tests, and small-scale spray tests, such as on one banana leaf or one small mango branch, and watch what happens, for at least 5 days.  Make note of weather conditions, which can make 100% difference in results.

If you can't find specific recommendations for mangos, use recommendations for avocados or Citrus, all of which are more sensitive to most sprays than mangos are.  Still double-check with small-scale tests.

Use Potassium Silicate products that are labelled as fertilizer, so that you have legal flexibility to experiment.
Har

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 11:01:05 PM »
Would a chop and drop of cane type grass add silica in a more natural way and improve soil without affecting ph or over feeding? I have a bunch of it growing out back and spread it around whatever trees I can. It does irritate the skin if your trimming without a shirt on lol

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 11:17:11 PM »
20% of rice hull is amorphous silica.
My potting soil has rice hull.
I add rice hull mulch to increase silica.
My mango tree doesn’t droop so I don’t know if adding more silica help with drooping.

DE is another source of silica.
So is steer manure.

sbtropic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 11:35:22 PM »
DE is the best natural way to add it. But I have heard that Wollastonite is a better natural source. You must avoid breathing each one because they are bad for your lungs. I don't add it because my soil test shows good levels.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
I’m adding food grade DE to pots.
Don’t use cheap pool filter DE.

I remove leaves from my yard so minerals get depleted.
Does your soil report indicate how long the silica last if you do the same?

sbtropic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
I remove leaves from my yard so minerals get depleted.
Does your soil report indicate how long the silica last if you do the same

I have never retested so I would not be sure if the silica levels changed. I doubt they change much. In any case I never get rid of leaves. In fact, I import them. Like with so many of these minerals, they are usually present in the soil, but can the plant uptake them in the quantity needed?? That is the key question.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 11:59:34 AM by sbtropic »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 12:32:23 PM »
The best way to keep your mangos from drooping is through pruning.  Remove horizontal growing branches.  Cut back lanky branches so the wood can lignify.  Remove excessive flower panicles.  Thin new branch shoots to 2 or 3 per new branch site.  Use less nitrogen and let the tree grow slower so it has time to harden off each summer and fall before flowering again. 
Brad Spaugh

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 01:21:51 PM »
I have a pottery studio at home so I am week versed in the dangers of silica and the respiratory tract. I also have wollastonite but would rather stick with actual ferta. My soil test did not give me silica levels, bit it was a basic one done through my local water/ soil district. I doubt I am low on silica though, just thinking adding as additional.

Good input Brad, I am just being impatient. I did have success when an upright flush started flopping by tying it up and once the growth hardened off I untied and it remained upright.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk