Author Topic: Your favorite oddity zone 8 fruit  (Read 305 times)

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Your favorite oddity zone 8 fruit
« on: May 31, 2023, 12:28:58 PM »
Im looking to grow my collection of fruiting plants. I recently bought a Japanese raisin tree sapling and I got the itch for more trees or shrubs. What's your favorite fruit tree for zone 8 that may be uncommon?  I have a Yuzu and a LSU fig but I think the raisin tree makes the top of the list.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite oddity zone 8 fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 01:13:43 PM »
Loquats are really easy to grow.  I only wish the season was longer. Prickly pear are pretty cool. Very easy to start from cuttings. They survive some frost, mine survived 20F unprotected this past winter. You can use the young pads as a veggie and use the fruit for preserves or juice. Fruitwood nursery has a ton of interesting varieties.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 01:36:47 PM »
How about feijoa? Tasty and ornamental flowers, tasty fruit in the improved varieties at least (some of the seedlings sold in the landscaping trade are inferior fruit).

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/HS1424
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:38:59 PM by drymifolia »

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 02:12:18 PM »
Im looking to grow my collection of fruiting plants. I recently bought a Japanese raisin tree sapling and I got the itch for more trees or shrubs. What's your favorite fruit tree for zone 8 that may be uncommon?  I have a Yuzu and a LSU fig but I think the raisin tree makes the top of the list.

Thimbleberry, but it doesn't like the SE US version of zone 8. You can find varieties that will flower, but it will be reticent to set fruit in hot/humid zone 8.