Author Topic: What would be a good rootstock for Sumo Mandarins?  (Read 1984 times)

Schutzhund

• United States, Los Angeles, CA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
What would be a good rootstock for Sumo Mandarins?
« on: March 25, 2017, 12:16:25 AM »
Hello, I'm about to order some Sumo Mandarin budwood from CCPP, and I was wondering what would be a good rootstock to graft it onto?

Badfish8696

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Re: What would be a good rootstock for Sumo Mandarins?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:44:22 AM »
I used C-35 for grafting my Shiranui budwood. From everything I've read it performs well with many mandarins and yields trees with big production from a young age that are semi-dwarf to full sized, depending on the cultivar. Also a very large citrus nursery is trialing this variety on C-35. They have been in business for decades and know their stuff.

It really depends on what you are doing with the trees, in ground, in pots, etc. I would also consider Trifoliate for semi-dwarf, Carrizo for large size, or Flying Dragon for dwarf.

JustJoshinya

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: What would be a good rootstock for Sumo Mandarins?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 04:41:43 AM »
i grafted my shiranui tree about 3 weeks ago i decided to use C35, i found a decent sized donor tree it was a nice trovita orange on C35, i grafted 3 buds onto the c35 below the trovita. i havent decided if i will allow the trovita orange to stay the top or chop it to force the shiranui to push.

ive had nill success with other rootstocks ive had better success with c35, than carizzo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk