Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Zygotic Poncirus hybrids

<< < (8/9) > >>

Citradia:
So, is the bigger seedling the clone or the little one?

sc4001992:
That was my question as well. I thought it was the larger one but wanted to hear from the experts who crossbred them.

kumin:
On occasion the zygotic seedling is more vigorous than the nucellar one(s). Many cultivars essentially produce no viable zygotic embryos. Others produce 100% zygotic embryos. The issue becomes apparent in populations of mixed types. Visual inspection will help find seedlings with identical appearances. These are likely to be nucellar in origin, except in cases where is little genetic variability in both the seed and the pollen parents. Monoembryony is  not always synonymous with zygotic embryony. Seeds may produce a single nucellar embryo.
If the pollen parent shows very distinct characteristics, such as Poncirus does, determining embryonic origin is greatly simplified.

Till:
African Shadock x Poncirus is highly polyembryonic. I had my first fruits. I pollinated with Chandler and a citrumelo (name dubious but most probably F1). The taste of the fruit was, by the way, not very inviting: bitter, sour, resinous, juicy only when let on the tree for very long a time. Seeds were not fully developed in March. So can only be used as pollen parent. Pollen is abundant and probably good: My Chandler had a lot of seed set with it.

sc4001992:
I have an update on my Flying Dragon seedlings I germinated early in the photos.

It appears to me that mono seeds are uniform in height, the poly seeds have the different size height and shape. I did have a few albino seedlings but looks like they either died or changed back to green color. Anyone interested in seeing a photo?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version