Author Topic: Blueberry Grafting?  (Read 680 times)

NatAp22

• Texas
    • View Profile
Blueberry Grafting?
« on: February 03, 2023, 10:09:36 PM »
Have anyone had any experience grafting blueberries? Curious as how a southern highbush variety that bloom early would do if grafted to higher chill variety such as tifblue that is resistant to disease and heat/drought tolerance. Being able to delay bloom would be a hugeee benefit. Please comments if any.

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry Grafting?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 07:58:56 AM »
 I buy it’s something I’ve always wanted to try. Let me know if you have success!

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 12:56:20 AM »
Would you need to graft often when new shoots emerge?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 09:47:10 PM »
Have anyone had any experience grafting blueberries? Curious as how a southern highbush variety that bloom early would do if grafted to higher chill variety such as tifblue that is resistant to disease and heat/drought tolerance. Being able to delay bloom would be a hugeee benefit. Please comments if any.

Being grafted to a higher chill rootstock might delay bloom slightly. If you are going to go to the trouble of grafting, Sparkleberry (aka Farkleberry) is a blueberry relative that is graft compatible and can grow to tree size. Apparently, it makes an awesome blueberry rootstock. The biggest problem is that it self propagates by runners. UF had a sparkleberry selection that grew only a single trunk. I presume that you are trying to extend your season. You might look at the Star variety. It blooms later than most southern highbush varieties, but has a shorter ripening time.