Author Topic: FL summer gardening ideas - best tasting & productive vegetables/herbs  (Read 1318 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Share your ideas on what vegetables to plant over the summer that actually taste good & are productive.

Basil - all types.  Thai, Genovese are what I've tried.  I'm going to try lettuce leaf basil & red basil this summer.
Lemongrass
Mint
Pepper - Habanada & Cubanelle
Eggplant - ping tung long (does not set fruit in hottest part of summer but plant survives & produces after/before the ends of the regular growing season).  Tempted to try thai frog egg & chinese string from Baker Creek.
Green Papaya
Okra - tried it before and didn't like the taste/texture, but will try again this year with new recipes
Garlic Chives
Bottle Gourd - tried it last year and it only set one fruit.  Anyone know where to get seed that can produce better in the heat?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Almost everyone overcooks okra. Start by bringing your water to a boil. Next, add the okra and leave it in the hot water for 3 minutes--it will usually just start boiling again. At 3 minutes remove it from the heat and immediately drain the water. Butter and salt. I didn't really care for okra until I had it cooked that way.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
For summer vegetables, I am planning to grow several things that have worked well for me in the past. Cranberry hibiscus is a great leaf vegetable when you need a couple leaves for a sandwich or tacos (anything where a little tartness won't be out of place). Sweet potatoes are another good one. They are one of the only tropical root crops that has a short enough cycle to actually harvest in the middle of summer. Leaves and vine tips are great in stir fry or as a cooked green. Cooking bananas and plantains come in summer, too. Bell peppers grow well in the SHADE durring summer. I am experimenting with a nematode resistant variety called Carolina Wonder from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I am also looking to grow day neutral pigeon peas, day neutral winged beans, and chayote. I'm not sure if the peas and beans will set pods over the summer when the temps are high. As I recall, my eggplant continued to fruit over the summer, but I had them in about 50% shade. Chayote won't fruit until fall, but the vine tips are good (1# green vegetable in Papua New Guinea) and will grow all summer.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Almost everyone overcooks okra. Start by bringing your water to a boil. Next, add the okra and leave it in the hot water for 3 minutes--it will usually just start boiling again. At 3 minutes remove it from the heat and immediately drain the water. Butter and salt. I didn't really care for okra until I had it cooked that way.

Will try this.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Okra rocks! Will try your recipe Galatians. I like it fried too.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile

Do you just put the entire okra in whole or are you cleaning out the interior?

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
1I second sweet potatoes as a must. They can get invasive but if you have space they grow easily. All parts of the plants are edible raw or cooked.  They are not poisonous raw vs regular potatoes

I think people don't grow wingbeans enough. They're good cooked or raw. Galatians, Baker Creek sells a day neutral variety, I have yet to grow it.

Winter melon/Ash gourd. You'll need a trellis. But the mature gourd can be stored like a year without refrigeration. 

Luffa.  Mature ones can be made into sponges but young luffa can be stir fried or made into soup.  The texture is unique and very different from many gourds but it's very productive.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 02:20:22 PM by Eggo »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile

Do you just put the entire okra in whole or are you cleaning out the interior?

You boil the pods whole with the stems on. Do not cut them in pieces--that contributes to slimyness. You'll notice that the color changes to bright green when its cooked.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 11:29:40 PM by Galatians522 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
I think people don't grow wingbeans enough. They're good cooked or raw. Galatians, Baker Creek sells a day neutral variety, I have yet to grow it.

That is the one I am growing. Its growing very slowly compared to the pole beans on the same trellis. We'll see how it does when summer gets here.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Peanuts

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: FL summer gardening ideas - best tasting & productive vegetables/herbs
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 12:43:39 PM »
Peanuts

Which peanuts do best?

Growing some here, forget the variety.

Green peanuts are the best to me, harvested when still a little soft. Makes the best boiled peanuts.

turtle_hermit

• USDA zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 03:16:33 PM »
Seminole pumpkins are a really good summer plant to grow.
The vines are very productive and handle the summer weather like a charm.
Gourds are good for storage and last several months once picked, quite tasty as well.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 10:26:52 PM »
You can eat okra raw. It gives a different texture and flavor.

Black eye peas will also do well. As will many beans.

If you do sweet potatoes do them in pots or tall raised beds. If they spend all their energy spreading they don't produce big tubors. Their leaves are also the best green I've ever had. The one I grew at my previous house was a white skin white flesh one from the store.

Rat tail radish is good and productive.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 10:27:43 PM »
Peanuts

Which peanuts do best?

Green peanuts are the best to me, harvested when still a little soft. Makes the best boiled peanuts.
I've never done peanuts, but the little yellow peanut flower definitely does well in Florida.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2023, 08:45:38 AM »
Peanuts

Also interested in what peanut variety to grow here during south florida summer

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2023, 11:30:06 AM »
For basil try African Blue Basil. It is an incredibly good pollinator attractor. Over winter you can bring cuttings inside to root in water. I also like the taste better than many other basil.

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2023, 01:45:13 PM »
Peanuts

Which peanuts do best?

Rob, I sent you a few Schronce's Deep Black peanuts, if thats what you are recalling. My Deep Black plants have been thriving, even being mostly neglected. I recently cleared them out for some extra space.

As far as other peanut varieties, I have had success with Fastigiata Pin Striped and Tennessee Red Valencia, not as much with Carwile's Virginia -- these varieties are all supposed to be well suited to the conditions of the southeast US. And they also produce lots of gorgeous flowers.

Might have some seeds leftover of these varieties.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 09:15:15 PM »
Thanks Dan! I have 2 or 3 of those growing pretty well. Need to repot them. What time of year do you harvest? Fall?

wagatanga

• LA, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 06:02:00 AM »
I've had great success with Thai basil too. Mint is another favorite of mine; it just adds so much freshness to dishes. I'm intrigued by your choice of peppers - Habanada sounds fiery, haha.
I actually stumbled upon this awesome website, mklibrary.com, while searching for gardening tips last summer. They had this fantastic article on how to build a metal raised garden bed, which might be helpful for your bottle gourd. Speaking of which, I had a similar struggle last year with a different plant. I tried some tips from that site, and voila! Better results.

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »
Share your ideas on what vegetables to plant over the summer that actually taste good & are productive.

Basil - all types.  Thai, Genovese are what I've tried.  I'm going to try lettuce leaf basil & red basil this summer.
Lemongrass
Mint
Pepper - Habanada & Cubanelle
Eggplant - ping tung long (does not set fruit in hottest part of summer but plant survives & produces after/before the ends of the regular growing season).  Tempted to try thai frog egg & chinese string from Baker Creek.
Green Papaya
Okra - tried it before and didn't like the taste/texture, but will try again this year with new recipes
Garlic Chives
Bottle Gourd - tried it last year and it only set one fruit.  Anyone know where to get seed that can produce better in the heat?
My habenada plants were besieged by bacterial spot and fungal rot. Peppers also had a weird plastic flavor too them so I didn’t plant them this year. Meanwhile my datil peppers and Thai bird chilis made more than we could eat and kept alive straight through the winter. Italian banana peppers did well too but were kinda tasteless. I’m growing the datil and Thai bird chilis again, and trying some larger hybrid types from burpee: Chinese giant, Costa Rica sweet, and Big Boss hot. My seedlings are almost ready to plant out.

For eggplant my Chinese string and Aswad did well, while Thai miniature eggplants didn’t produce enough to make it worth growing. I’m adding Cambodian giant and Kamo Japanese eggplant this year.

My yardlong Taiwanese string beans produced well but were tough and nobody loved the flavor. I’ve heard there’s a red yardlong bean that’s much better, but I went with bush beans (burgandy and dragon tongue) this year as I tried a few on my family in the fall and they were a hit. Cool looking too.

For tomatoes Galahad produced but were more susceptible  to RKN than advertised. I went with Medusa for mtg RKN resistant type this year, which tastes better than Galahad anyway. Sart Roloise produced well, while Brandywine languished with sunscald, and pineapple tomatoes which didn’t like the cold weather so we’ll see how they do in summer. Adding Green Giant to the mix for a large slicer.

In my non-RKN tomato plot I planted cherry tomatoes, and I tried sunrise bumblebee, rosella, and sun gold select II. The sun gold were fine, sunrise were big and beautiful but just good flavor, nothing amazing. Right now the Rosella are tasting and producing best. I’m adding Green Doctor this year.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 12:12:00 PM by mcoambassador »