Author Topic: Help ID this citrus fruit - Grapefruit or Pomelo ?  (Read 1018 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Help ID this citrus fruit - Grapefruit or Pomelo ?
« on: January 10, 2023, 07:17:47 PM »
Can anyone help me identify this fruit on the tree. It may be a grapefruit or pomelo.

I will not be able to tell what fruit yet, when it is ripe I should be able to taste it.
This fruit is interesting in that it has the pitam (tip) that I don't see in most fruits.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:37:44 PM by sc4001992 »

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Help ID this citrus fruit - Grapefruit or Pomelo ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 09:14:13 PM »
The bell shape (tip) is usually found in hybrids like a grapefruit x mandarin.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 09:20:47 PM »
Well I have a seedling pomelo that I planted and it fruits now, and that fruit is also bell shaped. It is a pure pomelo, not a hybrid.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:22:59 PM by sc4001992 »

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 12:24:56 AM »
Can anyone help me identify this fruit on the tree. It may be a grapefruit or pomelo.

the shape looks a lot like my valentine

I will not be able to tell what fruit yet, when it is ripe I should be able to taste it.
This fruit is interesting in that it has the pitam (tip) that I don't see in most fruits.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 06:27:38 AM »
Pomelo seedlings should be 100% zygotic.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 07:15:08 AM »
For what its worth, I have never seen a grapefruit with a neck. I would go with pomello or a hybrid of some kind.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »
tedburn, I have a large Valentine tree, the fruits almost looks similar but the fruits never has the pitam. Most of the Valentine fruits are not as smooth skinned as these, but I will not know until I see some fruits when they are ripe. It should ripen it another month. All of my grapefruit hybrids and pummelos are ripening now. By Feb they should all be ripe.

Here's some photos of my Valentine fruits from last year, they do look almost similar in shape but none has the pitam (never seen this on pummelo or grapefruits).

I hope the fruits turns out to be a pummelo.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 02:10:03 PM »
kumin, what does it mean to say the seeds of pomelo will be zygotic?

I grew the seeds from my pomelo fruit and they have a few leaves now, can you tell by looking for the largest seedlings to identify the nuclear/clones ?

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 09:25:19 AM »
Cross valentine with one of the better poncirus x orange you might have something good. But most people here want to maintain a high level of poncirus so they can grow it in Pennsylvania or Germany. I'm more interested in greening resistance and being slightly more cold tolerant like a grapefruit or pommelo.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »

I grew the seeds from my pomelo fruit and they have a few leaves now, can you tell by looking for the largest seedlings to identify the nuclear/clones ?

The most certain test would be to exclude all pollen from the stigma except for pollen from a distinctive foliage type like Poncirus. 100% trifoliate progeny would indicate 100% zygotic seedlings. Alternatively, if the plants are grown to a larger size, there should begin to be a distinction in the growth habits as well as leaf characteristics.
Leaf petiole differences, leaf shapes will vary among zygotic seedlings.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 01:49:25 PM by kumin »

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 02:51:57 PM »

I have grown Pummelo from seed, I never saw much difference in seedlings from one fruit, but did see differences between seedlings of different fruit / different varieties.
That is mainly from older varieties.
Some newer types are hybrids, including Pummelo X Pummelo hybrids. They might throw more variants.
If you grow a bunch of seedlings look for major differences in leaf shape, petiole, thorns.
They may not be so different from each other, even though they are Zygotic.
Pummelo are routinely grown from seed in some S E Asian countries.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 03:04:10 PM »
I decided to try growing more seeds this year so I should have lots of new seedlings of Valentine, Cocktail, Thong Dee, Reinking, and many more. I can always use some of these in a few years for my rootstock. I did find one pummelo seedling tree I have which ended up with much better tasting fruit than the parent tree. Fruits are large (2lbs) and tastes great. The photos above of the seedlings are from this tree.