Author Topic: Sapodilla tree won't grow  (Read 702 times)

LostBoy_Dani

• USA, California, 10A
    • View Profile
Sapodilla tree won't grow
« on: March 31, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
Hey all, I've had a Sapodilla tree for around a year now that just refuses to grow. I feel like I've tried everything! It's still alive, just won't put on new growth at all, no leaves, branches, nothing :(

Some background - I got a couple baby Sapodilla trees a year ago, each from different suppliers, one very small around two feet and another around three feet. Both had just a few sets of leaves.

Well, due to my inexperience they both got badly sunburned. The larger lost all leaves, the smaller managed to hang on to a couple. They're both it pots so luckily I could move them into protection to recover. Over this last winter I left them out, and they both continued surviving, but no new growth. So a couple months ago I moved them inside and poof, the smaller one (with a couple leaves still) has started putting on new growth!

The larger one however, still hasn't budged at all.

I've tried everything - amending the soil, fertilizing, not fertilizing, more water, less, grow lights, window, outside, light sun, even moving it out during day and in at night. Tried reporting the whole thing too, no dice! Still alive but at a standstill. Any advice? Should I just exercise more monumental patience?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla tree won't grow
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:17:05 AM »
It will either grow or die, it can't do nothing forever!  Be patient. 

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 11:41:33 AM »
I've noticed my sapodillas don't do much in the Winter
If your large sapodilla doesn't have leaves be careful over watering it.
You will end up with root rot and a dead tree.
My brother has three trees in pots and his trees are loaded with
fruit and flowers. He is giving the trees a super worm manure compost
mix every time he waters. I have cricket frass and I started giving my smaller
trees a mix. I put one cup of frass in a gallon of water and leave in the sun for
2-4 hours and then drench the trees. Right off the bat my butterscotch started
pushing new growth and flowers. Sapodillas love organic fertilizer and
also Florida's humidity/heat

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 11:56:04 AM »
A year is not very long.  Be patient, eave it alone.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 11:59:17 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 12:52:39 PM »
My container sapodilla has been growing continuously all winter, all my pouterias have been actually.  They are in a greenhouse, though.  Meanwhile annonas mostly defoliated and are just now waking up. 

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2023, 01:20:46 PM »
Patience, mine took a few years to jump start.

My Fairchild #2 stopped growing all winter, it's nearly April and it has not pushed new growth. When it does start it explodes!
Regards,

Gary

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 01:58:21 PM »
Hey all, I've had a Sapodilla tree for around a year now that just refuses to grow. I feel like I've tried everything! It's still alive, just won't put on new growth at all, no leaves, branches, nothing :(

Some background - I got a couple baby Sapodilla trees a year ago, each from different suppliers, one very small around two feet and another around three feet. Both had just a few sets of leaves.

Well, due to my inexperience they both got badly sunburned. The larger lost all leaves, the smaller managed to hang on to a couple. They're both it pots so luckily I could move them into protection to recover. Over this last winter I left them out, and they both continued surviving, but no new growth. So a couple months ago I moved them inside and poof, the smaller one (with a couple leaves still) has started putting on new growth!

The larger one however, still hasn't budged at all.

I've tried everything - amending the soil, fertilizing, not fertilizing, more water, less, grow lights, window, outside, light sun, even moving it out during day and in at night. Tried reporting the whole thing too, no dice! Still alive but at a standstill. Any advice? Should I just exercise more monumental patience?
Agree with most others... They are fairly slow growers especially first year in ground.

Different varieties grow at different rates. Alano tends to be smaller and round growing close to the ground and it would grow much slower upward then Hasya, Morena, etc.

As another mentioned, if you buy 2 and plant one and leave the other in a pot in partial shade, I would expect the one in the pot/partial shade to grow faster over the first year...  It takes time to get the roots and plant adjusted to grow in regular soil and higher levels of sunshine. Partial shade may help it grow a little faster if you have something to filter the sun during the first year it's in the ground.

Gulfgardener

• Panhandle 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 02:31:03 PM »
I had this happen to me. I purchased one 2 years ago from Sow Exotic and it came with 5 leaves. I thought it would die but it held on. Lost 3 leaves in the winter and then sprouted 5 leaves the following year. No branches, just 5 small leaves so I gave it a "motivational" pep talk. This year it has added leaves and branches!  Show it the dead plants in the compost pile, fed it, then let it be for another year.  ;D

gnoop

• USA, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 03:28:45 PM »
A year is not very long.  Be patient, eave it alone.

Meanwhile I'm looking at my trees daily like this.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2023, 05:54:55 PM »
Chop that slacker tree down and plant something productive!

...maybe give it one more summer, but make sure it knows you mean business

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk