Author Topic: Vista White Loquat  (Read 353 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Vista White Loquat
« on: May 25, 2023, 03:22:03 AM »
This loquat has not gotten as much attention as other varieties. I think it is very unique because the fruits of the Vista White is large, round with some bumps, has the thinnest skin of any loquat I have and pure white flesh.

I will post some photos of my large tree which is over 30yrs old, those of you who have purchased the Vista White cuttings from me last year and this year when I cut most of it down, you are the lucky ones to have this variety in your collection.

Many of the fruits are just starting to ripen so I will post some photos now of the fruits on the tree, later in a week I will show the inside flesh, and take a brix reading. This year all of my loquat varieties have drop in brix reading, probably because it has been cool in April/May so the fruits just are not as sweet as last year. One of my seedling variety (KT6) last year had a brix=30, this year the fruit only had brix=20 so far. Most of the fruits are ripe now so I don't think it will get any sweeter.

If anyone else is growing the Vista White (Nate), then please post some photos of your tree & fruits so everyone can see the variation in fruits.

I have many white flesh varieties in my collection (10+) and the Vista White has the whitest color flesh.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 03:45:07 AM by sc4001992 »

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Vista White Loquat
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »
One of my family members has a Vista white tree that I have grafted onto my Big Jim, just for diversity.  It’s is a very solid loquat variety, but I still prefer the orange flesh loquats.  Vista white is very sweet but doesn’t have the depth of other orange flesh varieties.  I still recommend that people add a vista white to their collection or graft onto an existing tree just to add some flavor diversity.  It’s a very unique alternative to the standard loquat flavor.

VOLANT007

• USA, Florida, Vero Beach, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 12:51:32 AM »
Thank you for sharing this variety with the group Kaz.  I was fortunate enough to get some scions (Vista White and KT-9 Lindsay) from you this year and most of them that I grafted took!  I'm over here drooling over the pics and cant wait till the tree fruits. 
Do you have the brix reading of the KT-9 Lindsay?
Sam

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 01:09:00 AM »
Sam, I will need to check if I took it last year of the KT9. This year the brix on all my loquats are significantly low since our weather in April/May is 15-20 degrees cooler than last year. When we don't get enough heat many of the loquats will not taste as sweet.

I'll post a photo of the Vista White and KT9-Lindsey side by side by tomorrow. KT9 also has large fruits for an orange flesh loquat.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 01:10:09 AM »
SHV, if your Vista White loquat has fruits now, can you take a few photos of your fruits and post it here. I like to see how similar everyones fruit looks. Is your fruits large or on the smaller side?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk