Author Topic: Big mulberry tree  (Read 667 times)

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
Big mulberry tree
« on: May 27, 2023, 01:06:08 PM »
Wanted to share some pics of the mulberry tree at my father inlaws. Its really amazing how many fruits are on this tree they taste decent pretty sweet with a honeydew melon taste, cant wait till they get ripe!

Bill

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Big mulberry tree
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
Wow!  That trunk is amazing!

I planted a lot of mulberry trees and look forward to mine maturing into beautiful old trees.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Janet

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 06:33:20 PM »
How old is that tree

Muni

• All there is.
    • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 06:46:04 PM »
Thank you for sharing.
Allow yourself to know, if you wish, that this is a multi dimensional communication.
See what happens.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 07:40:57 PM »
The fruit is so good you pitch a tent and camp out under it
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 07:50:10 PM »
Bill, those fruits look like maie flowers.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 09:48:03 PM »
It makes a whole ton of mulberries every year drops about half and sets half im not really sure how to tell male/female flowers on mulberry ill have to check it out. I guess the tree has been here 80+ yrs, an old timer down the road talks about eating from it when he was a kid hes gotta be in his 90s.
Bill

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 10:58:45 PM »
When the fruits are ripe, please take a few photos of the fruits, I would like to see how large and color of your fruits. That is a huge tree, never saw one with that large a trunk.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 06:00:37 AM »
Damn! That's about the size of some of my oak trees lol. I guess my 15ft spacing isn't going to cut it :P ;D.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 10:20:01 AM »
Ill update a photo of the fruits when they ripen up. Fruit last year was about an inch long, purple fruits.
Bill

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 02:31:15 PM »
I've only recently grown an appreciation for mulberries.

Back in the midwest I did some telecom vegetation work; the bane of my existence at the time was dealing with 1,000's of weedy mulberry trees growing in any available space throughout the power line right-of-ways. The mature everbearing trees had weak wood and dropped limbs often as well.

Now that I dont have to deal with that, I eat these fellas as quickly as the birds do. I absolutely love the tropical varieties.

Bill, thank you for sharing the images of your tree. The contortions on that bark are gorgeous.

Ognin525

• Buffalo, ny, zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »
SO! I finally made it back to the tree and found 1 fruit lol. My father inlaw said it didnt have a great crop this year for whatever reason, unlike other years when its loaded! Heres a picture of the fruit i managed to find it was really tasty very sweet no sour and honey dew melon taste the berry i found was also alittle bit smaller than normal. Wish i made it out sooner that one wasnt enough! Going to try to root some cuttings to see if its possible i might try grafting one if i can find that last rootstock i know is some where lol.

Bill

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 12:08:42 PM »
We have some that size here in Vegas that were planted back in the 40s-70s. Mulberries, olives, and sometimes figs were yard decoration staples because of how easy they were to grow in our desert climate. There's a steakhouse here called Bob Taylor's Ranch House that is still open after 70 years and there's several of them in the parking lot that were planted back in the mid 50s. They're massive.

Unfortunately, since then, mulberry plantings became rare due to how much males put out pollen and wreak havoc on everyone's seasonal allergies, and were eventually banned in 1991 along with fruiting olives. Existing trees were all grandfathered in as legal, but many folks opted to cut them down anyways due to the leaf litter in winter and pollen output. All the huge ones I've seen are male or sterile. I've read that mulberries can change gender from female to male once they reach a certain age, but I don't know how true that is.

While fruiting trees were/are still legal, the ban also halted all sales of mulberries, male or female, from any local stores. Only now with the advent of the internet and a huge spike in gardening interest as a hobby have fruiting mulberries started to make a comeback.

Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.