Author Topic: Abiu finally producing  (Read 4405 times)

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Abiu finally producing
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2022, 06:08:13 AM »
For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of abiu. I find it very refreshing, the fruit has a large amount of flesh with a sweet caramel flavor. I am in north Queensland so likely have got lucky with good genetics. My trees flower and set fruit quite regularly, maybe around 4-5 times in the last year.

chicomoralessxm

• Caribbean St. maarten zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 05:36:07 PM »
This is a little old thread but would like some help. I planted an  abiu I bought on here from HI. Seedling tree not grafted. It has flowered in my friends yard last 2 years but never set fruit. Also alot of the flowers seem to drop off any suggestions?
This year he told me a bit late but been giving it some added calcium, mag and Phos and kelp.
It looks very nice and green just the flowers are dropping off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DOes it need more time to age?

You need cross pollination.

OH no not good, so I need to have another tree or 2 around? Or is a matter of not enough Bees. Sounds like I may have to another tree or too aye in some large pots cause I doubt they have space in the yard for too more abiu trees.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »
I only have one tree that
 set a good amount of fruit this year. I'm sure cross pollination will help though. Might be variety dependent.
I highly doubt there is another one anyone nearby. There's only a few mangos around my neighborhood

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2022, 05:01:25 PM »
My friend has a nice mango next to his tree so I was hoping that aid in the pollination.
However ideally once I have other pollinators around that should assist.
Or do I need another abiu tree or 2?

Do ost of you growing abius have multiple trees?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2022, 07:40:59 AM »
I have four. Two seedlings from Everglades and two from Mike. I have never tasted one. It's one of those trees that I have been trying and failing with for years. Hopefully this round I will succeed. I really would like to get a named cultivar. I'm surprised they are not available in the US. Who's ready for a group buy from Australia?!?!?!?!?! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2022, 11:18:38 AM »
I have a seedling abiu that has started flowering last year and is again this year.  It has produced hundreds of flowers but so far none have progressed to any fruit stage.  It may simply be too soon, not sure what is normal.  Where I am there are no other abius around to cross-pollinate.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2022, 05:20:38 PM »
I have a seedling abiu that has started flowering last year and is again this year.  It has produced hundreds of flowers but so far none have progressed to any fruit stage.  It may simply be too soon, not sure what is normal.  Where I am there are no other abius around to cross-pollinate.
How old is it? Mine are about a year old so I am curious as to when I can expect to get something.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2022, 06:26:42 PM »
Brian,
nice to see your tree close to producing up north. I had one in ground in the greenhouse, but I dug it up after tasting the fruit.
I personally don't like it. I could taste the caramel flan notes, but the after taste is just plain weird. I'd put the fruit below my top 10 or 15. The fruit I tasted was from a seedling selection from PR.
Once my e-4 seedlings get to scion size, I'll try to graft a few.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2022, 06:29:51 PM »
I ordered mine as a tiny seedling in June 2019.  It was flowering last year at ~2yrs old, it is now ~3yrs old and is 6ft tall and looks like it could easily hold fruit.  It has been healthy and trouble free, I guess they just like to be warm... and protected from wind.

If the taste & texture are dissapointing I will also consider grafting a named type on.

I just recently moved it out of the greenhouse, it is a bit crowded right now so hard to get a good picture. 

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:37:20 PM by brian »

chicomoralessxm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2022, 12:00:39 AM »
that is a ver nice little tree brian looking good for up north :)
Where did you get it from?

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 09:09:28 AM »
that is a ver nice little tree brian looking good for up north :)
Where did you get it from?

Thanks!   Etsy seller out of Jupiter,PL.  I got most of my small seedlings this way.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
Second crop on the tree this year.
The biggest ones are 12 oz.
I may start selling these if I end up with more next year.
If anyone in the area wants to try them feel free to reach out

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2022, 06:56:10 PM »

I gotta say that the fruits off your tree are of superior quality. The ones I had before were not that good.
This one is nice!

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2022, 07:03:48 PM »

I gotta say that the fruits off your tree are of superior quality. The ones I had before were not that good.
This one is nice!

Glad to hear you enjoyed them.
They came from PR, my friend had this tree growing for a while and when it was too big for the pot I planted it out.
It's my understanding that a lot of the good AU types made their way to PR. So it may be that this one could share some of the genetics

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2022, 07:20:00 PM »
When is abiu season in Australia? Is it something widely or easily available? I would really like to import some plant material to do some grafting or import the actual trees.

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2022, 08:56:10 PM »
It is common for seedling abiu to be bland and watery tasting, which is why some nurseries only sell grafted plants.  The Z varieties I’ve tried are very tasty with hints of vanilla and caramel

Is there anywhere to buy a grafted one online?
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2022, 09:26:03 PM »
The selection of abiu in the US is tiny compared to Australia. The nurseries here selling grafted abiu don't even have a cultivar name on them. I think seedlings of some are generally true to type. I have one e-4 I'm gonna grow out and then graft later.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2022, 12:36:26 AM »
You guys are crazy abiu is TOP notch fruit I rate it right up there with some of the heavy weights.  They do not need cross pollination to produce but yes they can flower heavily and have the flowers fall off a few times, I have one Z4 seedling (NOT GRAFTED) that produced its first fruits at 14 months in the ground and the fruit was incredible as good as any I have tasted and that includes the grafted stuff I tasted at Australians premier tropical fruit farm.  I have all seedlings mostly Z4 seedlings and E4 seedling that is still too little to produce but I rate these trees as some of my most prized.  The Z4 seedling also bears prolifically almost at the level of myer lemon, mine is currently loaded with baby fruits, seems they basically fruit all year with short periods in between mature fruits and flowering again. Heavy rain doesnt seem to have any impact on flowering they produce no matter what the weather is doing.

Maybe over there in Florida your soils are not suitable to produce the best tastes? We are on fairly Acid clay here high nutrient content and they are very happy trees. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:55:30 AM by Gone tropo »

fruit nerd

• Australia, FNQ, 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2022, 06:47:51 AM »
My experience is similar to Gone tropo's. It's pretty common to have mature fruits, small fruits and flowers on the tree at the same time. If it is dry, they will drop fruit. I have found that chucking a hose under the tree for 5-10 min 1-2 times per week does the trick. In the case of heavy rain, you will lose some fruit due to splitting. Flying foxes love them, bagging does help. Lastly, the fruit is very sensitive. If dropped, the fruit will develop a terrible taste after a couple of hours so I recommend eating straight away. If handled well, the fruit is good to sit on a bench top for a few days without any issues. I don't recommend storing in the fridge as they will go brown.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2022, 11:10:42 AM »
You guys are crazy abiu is TOP notch fruit I rate it right up there with some of the heavy weights.  They do not need cross pollination to produce but yes they can flower heavily and have the flowers fall off a few times, I have one Z4 seedling (NOT GRAFTED) that produced its first fruits at 14 months in the ground and the fruit was incredible as good as any I have tasted and that includes the grafted stuff I tasted at Australians premier tropical fruit farm.  I have all seedlings mostly Z4 seedlings and E4 seedling that is still too little to produce but I rate these trees as some of my most prized.  The Z4 seedling also bears prolifically almost at the level of myer lemon, mine is currently loaded with baby fruits, seems they basically fruit all year with short periods in between mature fruits and flowering again. Heavy rain doesnt seem to have any impact on flowering they produce no matter what the weather is doing.

Maybe over there in Florida your soils are not suitable to produce the best tastes? We are on fairly Acid clay here high nutrient content and they are very happy trees.

We are on the opposite extreme with soil. Low nutrient, sand with a lot of limestone and high ph.
I have mine on a fertigation system and I apply sulfur.
So far it seems to be working

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2024, 05:51:54 PM »
My seedling abiu has thousands of flower buds again.  Maybe this year it will actually set some fruits

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2024, 11:01:32 AM »
My seedling abiu has thousands of flower buds again.  Maybe this year it will actually set some fruits

Keep us posted.  I'm curious about this because there was one volunteer abiu seedling sprout in a corner of my orchard that flowered a lot for a few years but never set fruit.

Since there are a couple good grafted varieties  in the orchard I eventually cut this one down.  Grafted trees can produce at an early age, when still fairly small.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2024, 11:53:19 AM »
Yup.... I am thinking I will look for some grafted scion and try grafting that on.  I don't want to wait years and years more and get nothing