Author Topic: Pressure cleaning  (Read 2850 times)

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
Pressure cleaning
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
Have to pressure clean the roof every year because of the HOA and aside from using a tarp to cover everything, I'm not sure what to do to protect my trees from the bleach water used in pressure cleaning.

What do you do when you have to pressure clean your roof?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Pressure cleaning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »
You do not have to use chlorine.  http://roof-a-cide.com/  It will double the cost but you will not need to pressure clean again.  The treatment lasts around 2 years before it should be retreated (without a pressure cleaning) so saves money over time.
Brandon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »
Exactly what Brandon posted. We use this on the roofs in our association, done every 3 years, and it is guaranteed.  If f he roof gets dirty in the window of treatment,  the company comes out and retreats for free.
- Rob

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
I'll look into it, thanks!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:23 PM »
A dumb question here perhaps, why add bleach ?
I've pressure washed wood, concrete, and very dirty things. At no point did it cross my mind to add bleach, or how I would add bleach since the pressure washer is direct connected to the hose.
If you have trees you care about below an area your spraying bleach water, just pressure wash it instead.
I'm assuming you have stucco/terra cotta roof tiles because what other roofing material would you pressure wash right.
 As an aside , I've never heard of cleaning roof tiles or many of the FL HOA "rules" that people have mentioned here on the board.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
In Florida, we have various forms of concrete and clay tiles.  The tiles here get filthy, from dirts, mold and mildew.  Spraying water alone is a waste of time.  Walking on the tiles (up on the roof) is not the best idea for both the individual on the rioof and for the life of the tile.  Most HOAs require you to clean your roof (or they do it for you which the cost is incorporated into the budget and paid theorugh your HOA fees).  Those in areas/neighborhoods without deed restrictions are urged to clean their roofs to not only maintain an aesthetically clean look but for extending the life of the roof.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:55 PM »
A dumb question here perhaps, why add bleach ?

Due to the wet climate and heat Florida roofs get black mold. Bleach will kill the mold. I hear the new type shingles have mold inhibitors. Maybe new type tiles too? Lots of roofs here are white concrete tiles making the black mold buildup even more visible
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:27:23 PM by zands »

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
There is outdoor bleach at lowes or home depot that is supposed to not mess with plants, i used it when i painted my house and it didn't effect any plants. Ive also heard baking soda and vinegar with peroxide will clean things up but ive never tried outside.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 01:53:05 PM »
Ahhhh, got it. True you wouldn't want to blast black mold all over with the pressure washer, you want to kill black mold with the pressure washer.
      We have a humid Meditteranean climate here and under the Redwoods there is little sun so everything molds . I've had to bleach clean mold inside but never had considered doing it outdoors.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
I used pool chlorine when I had a concrete tile roof.  If you use the chemical injection on a standard pressure cleaner the final solution is almost as strong as commercial bleach.  Let it sit in the sun for a about fifteen minutes and it will turn the moldy concrete yellowish brown.  Hit that with like a 25 degree tip and you can really cover a lot of space quick.  The heavy strength mix will keep you from developing lines from the individual passes of the sprayer.  It will even get whiter a day or two after.  I was sure to have someone on the ground spraying off the overspray on my plants/trees.  I can honestly say I had zero casualties.  Actually, my Longan nearly fruited itself to death.
Chlorine works great on the ground concrete too, it cuts labor time in quarters.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 05:09:42 PM »
...gosh...must be nice to have all that extra water to give
your roofs a bath with...

My roof smells like an old Elizabethan goat with bad breath......

;D

gary

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »
I used pool chlorine when I had a concrete tile roof.  If you use the chemical injection on a standard pressure cleaner the final solution is almost as strong as commercial bleach.  Let it sit in the sun for a about fifteen minutes and it will turn the moldy concrete yellowish brown.  Hit that with like a 25 degree tip and you can really cover a lot of space quick.  The heavy strength mix will keep you from developing lines from the individual passes of the sprayer.  It will even get whiter a day or two after.  I was sure to have someone on the ground spraying off the overspray on my plants/trees.  I can honestly say I had zero casualties.  Actually, my Longan nearly fruited itself to death.
Chlorine works great on the ground concrete too, it cuts labor time in quarters.

True, in my experience also as long as the plants are well watered prior to exposure to over spray and runoff you should have no casualties. Having someone spraying off the plants also, is the perfect scenario. I have have cleaned a lot of tile roofs in Florida and would also like to mention that the mold is VERY slippery when wet and once bleach is applied even more so. Please be careful and keep safety in mind and don't get in a rush!
Life is good