Author Topic: My Yard 2022  (Read 6844 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: My Yard 2022
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2023, 07:25:22 PM »
Are you high enough that you don't have flooding concerns?  Not close to any creeks?
John

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2023, 07:31:17 PM »
Are you high enough that you don't have flooding concerns?  Not close to any creeks?

I am at the very peak of the mountains here at 2200'. There is a creek about 100' elevation below me, it is a steep valley, so no concerns here. I suspect tomorrow I will be stranded at home for a few days as the 154 highway to my place frequently has mudslides and rock debris.

The town is a bit at risk, but this storm coming in will be weaker than our big blow out we had a couple months ago. That was 18.3" of rain at my house in 24 hours. 

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2023, 07:49:36 PM »
Beautiful!
instagram @trumansacco

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2023, 12:44:02 AM »
Amazing yard indeed. Beekeeping is a fantastic hobby.  The more you learn about them, the more amazing they are. A great side effect is more pollination as well.

Try a swarm trap.  You can see some plans on horizontalhive.com I caught three swarms in two weeks in 2020.  It’s super fun and incredible to watch.  Also, the bees will be adapted to your area.  You can trade bees for trees later!

I don’t recommend the horizontal hive for everyone but the author is pretty convincing that this is one of the least work to reward styles and reasonably natural for the bees. It worked well for us.

Barbarian

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2023, 07:10:06 AM »
I was thinking about trying to get a couple hives myself. Are you a member of of one of the local beekeeping groups and/or did you try any of their classes? I've been planning on doing that... or maybe just hit you up for advice. :p

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2023, 11:37:58 AM »
Amazing yard indeed. Beekeeping is a fantastic hobby.  The more you learn about them, the more amazing they are. A great side effect is more pollination as well.

Try a swarm trap.  You can see some plans on horizontalhive.com I caught three swarms in two weeks in 2020.  It’s super fun and incredible to watch.  Also, the bees will be adapted to your area.  You can trade bees for trees later!

I don’t recommend the horizontal hive for everyone but the author is pretty convincing that this is one of the least work to reward styles and reasonably natural for the bees. It worked well for us.

I have two swarm traps up because my hive is kind of boiling and seems like a swarm is imminent. Added a honey super to give them more room and that slowed down the activity a bunch. They've been going NUTS the last few days bringing in pollen. My last inspection I did find queen cups, but none with eggs in them. If I'd seen eggs, I'd have done a split. There is another beekeeper down the street from me with tons of big hives so I suspect I might be able to catch his swarms.

Top bar hives look WAY easier to manage. The inspection I did on mine was exhausting, didn't find queen till frame 17/20 and the hive itself is easily 100lb+. It's chock full of honey already but in the brood boxes.

I was thinking about trying to get a couple hives myself. Are you a member of of one of the local beekeeping groups and/or did you try any of their classes? I've been planning on doing that... or maybe just hit you up for advice. :p

I'm no pro by any means, but I've done a lot of reading and university of YouTube and feel reasonably equipped with how to manage them and what to look for.  If you need a hand let me know. My neighbour *was* a beekeeper (she loses them to varroa every year) and was part of the beekeeping guild that does classes in Goleta and it sounded like a decent community. There's another beekeeping group whose site is super dead so I didn't want to join that (events listed are from 2019). The guild seems to actually be active.

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2023, 01:59:27 AM »
UCSB said “yes” to this teenager of mine.  I’ll be bugging you to visit that yard of yours soon K Rimes!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2023, 02:44:36 AM »
UCSB said “yes” to this teenager of mine.  I’ll be bugging you to visit that yard of yours soon K Rimes!

Congrats! That’s a highly competitive school so you have raised a talented kid! PM me anytime for a visit. It’s a little boring right now but it’s about really take off as soon as winter leaves… if ever?!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2023, 04:46:38 PM »
Kevin, beautiful garden and yard. Looks like you put a lot of work getting all your fruit trees planted. Congrats.

Looks like you need to add one more fruit tree. A nice multi-grafted citrus tree. If you want to grow some seeds, I have plenty starting to germinate.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 04:49:28 PM by sc4001992 »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2023, 03:37:08 PM »

Cover crops have really come back strong this year, I'm leaving them for the bees for now but will chop and drop soon

Eugenia itaguahiensis about to blast off, really hoping to taste this one this year

Bagging is required for all my figs now due to BFF

Wildly successful white mulberry crop incoming!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 03:39:14 PM by K-Rimes »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2023, 04:27:24 PM »
Quite a tangle of white mulberries you got going on there. Lovely

Had a lone Sangue Latte mulberry ripening on the little grafted tree I saved, and a bird beat me to it this morning. Will have to wait longer to try. Still grieving.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2023, 05:49:52 PM »
Quite a tangle of white mulberries you got going on there. Lovely

Had a lone Sangue Latte mulberry ripening on the little grafted tree I saved, and a bird beat me to it this morning. Will have to wait longer to try. Still grieving.

I have resorted to bagging my mulberries, at least the Pakistanis. The white mulberry is mental this year, it has never performed like this, so I don't think the birds can eat ALL of them!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2023, 05:50:10 PM »
Rob, my Sangue e Latte just came out of dormancy and now getting some new fruits. It seems to be the latest mulberry to leaf out and fruit, and also doesn't get many new side branches.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2023, 05:52:02 PM »
Kevin, if you don't have the Red Himalayan then you should graft some, send me a message if you want cuttings.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2023, 06:09:46 PM »
Kevin, if you don't have the Red Himalayan then you should graft some, send me a message if you want cuttings.

I've got himalayan on my dwarf which now has a 4" trunk and is 10' tall. It is pakistani on dwarf and then there are several himalayan on top of that. It's a bummer though cause our bird pressure is nuts and I have to bag all the fruit to eat it.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2023, 06:36:53 PM »
yup, I have the same problem with birds. They pick the Red Himalayan fruits before they are ripe so I don't get to taste many. I should bag some now.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2023, 04:44:04 PM »
It’s filling in nicely now.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2023, 04:55:57 PM »
Though I wish I hadn't put 2022 on the thread title, it's cool to share the progress. It is crazy looking back at the first page photos compared to now. I am really having a great year!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2023, 09:40:18 AM »
Kevin,

Nice job!  Everything looks great.  I'm impressed with how weed free your yard and containers are, mine are full of weeds right now.

Do you get any fruit on your Manzanita tree in the first pic?

I can't identify most of your container plants, but they look really healthy.  What size containers are your large plants in?

How old is your Jaboticaba?

Thanks for sharing an update.

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2023, 01:12:04 PM »
Kevin,

Nice job!  Everything looks great.  I'm impressed with how weed free your yard and containers are, mine are full of weeds right now.

Do you get any fruit on your Manzanita tree in the first pic?

I can't identify most of your container plants, but they look really healthy.  What size containers are your large plants in?

How old is your Jaboticaba?

Thanks for sharing an update.

Janet

Re: weeds: the conditions are so harsh up here (we've been into the 90s+ for weeks) that nothing will live without water, even the hardiest of natives will not survive in a full sun spot. As for the pots, I am very on top of weeding them, but there's not really any chance for seeds either, the plants die off before flowering.

I actually have not noticed fruit in the manzanita till this year, but it is absolutely LOVING the run off from the figs and the massive blanket of mulch, I have never seen it healthier. It had tons of flowers and has fruit now for sure, I should go take a look.

Most of my large container plants are in 15-20-25g, with a couple in 45g (cocktail cherry of the rio grande and cosmic charlie DF). I will put a lot of my 25g into 45g this year, and the 45g into 65g. I would like to get more into root pruning, but I'll need to buy an engine lift to get these things up, most of them are several hundred pounds of root ball at these sizes.

My sabara in the half tote is, if I recall Luiz correctly, is about 12 or 13 years old. It fruits very nicely and has quite a few grafts on it now: paulista, zona da mata, hybrid red, and Phitantra (Otto Anderson collection).

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2023, 11:32:12 AM »
Nice to see that your Jabo and other plants are thriving despite the harsh conditions.  Hope the other varieties fruit for you soon. 

Here's a link showing how to use the flowers, green fruit, and ripe fruit on the Manzanita if you're interested.  I tried making his cider recipe, but quality of the fruit I picked wasn't great.  Plan to try again this year.
https://honest-food.net/manzanita-berries-edible/

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2023, 07:17:45 PM »
A rare gloomy day, but felt like a nice time to update. I actually really like this time of year for all the fall colors, there are no other deciduous trees in the area.

This really was my best year yet in the yard.

Cocktail apple with pink lady midstock, pink pearl, cox's orange pippin, and white winter pearmain, i258 in the pot, there is a newly planted corg to the left not shown, and a bunch of random eugenia sprouting up in that island (I spit a lot of seeds there)

Long leaf guava left, a severely mite'd grafted vermillion pitanga that has almost rebuilt its canopy on right, on far left another cocktail apple with the same as above and Goodland, Akero, Regent, Cinnamon Spice. The apple REALLY put on weight this year

Better view of the apple, a contorted mulberry, grimal in the pot on the left, yangmei seedling in ground tucked to the left of the apple

Some figs foregrund, dwarf mulberry with pakistani and himalayan (the lighter green leaves), white mulberry background

White mulberry on the right, Skittle guava on the far corner, pots from right to left: skittles guava, orange corg, campomanesia guazumifolia, on the deck calycina, el dorado corg, cocktail corg, red pitanga

Can see from above the types on cocktail corg

Dragonfruits put on a new canopy, yellowing from cold and wet, black eugenia repanda in the pot

Black repanda fruit, it's a lot bigger this year

Some pineapple sizing up in the gh

Red jabo really put on a nice bloom after root pruning

The other side of the house, clockwise from top left corner: persian mulberry, cocktail feijoa behind it, pitanga (sir prize avo and unknown guava behind it), pear in the cage, small cherimoya seedling and myrica californica in ground, kohala longan, kari starfruit, blueberries, spicy thai peppers, pawpaws, 15g on the right psidium mytoides, square pot cedar bay cherry, brokaw hass avo. Hard to see a: white sapote seedling, red pitanga, lucuma seedling, tobacco in the garden beds.

Greenhouse is kind of empty this year, surprisingly, all the bigger jabos have to tough it outside this winter. Real big campmanesia hirsuta in the middle of the photo, put on tons of weight this year

Unknown guava left, sir prize avo looking bad, inga growing back from roots, that seedling cherimoya

Rootstock pineapple guava looks good, successful graft shown

Fig forest really came up nicely, a deer must've came by and decimated that himalayan honeysuckle (oh well)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 07:37:50 PM by K-Rimes »

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2023, 12:33:05 PM »
Place puts off a rad Vibe dude can feel the love that goes into it..
cheers
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2023, 01:14:09 PM »
Your "yard" is amazing! Can see you have put a lot of time and energy into your creation. Must be fun wandering around, finding new growth, flowers, and fruit. If you ever get lost on your property, should be able to survive for a while.

Have to ask, does the owl help?

=)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
Your "yard" is amazing! Can see you have put a lot of time and energy into your creation. Must be fun wandering around, finding new growth, flowers, and fruit. If you ever get lost on your property, should be able to survive for a while.

Have to ask, does the owl help?

=)

It is definitely fun wandering around, I spend hours doing it a day I'd guess!

Regarding the owl, considering I see birds land on its head, no, I wouldn't say it helps!