Author Topic: Homegrown Lula vs. Supermarket (Mexican) Hass  (Read 430 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Homegrown Lula vs. Supermarket (Mexican) Hass
« on: October 27, 2022, 02:54:16 PM »
There's a Lula avocado tree in my community, which is at least 40 ft. tall and loaded with fruit this year.  I've never seen so many avocados on one tree.  With my 25-ft. pole I've been picking a bucket a week for almost a month now.  I like them way more than the Mexican Hass that all the supermarkets around here sell.  Better quality, better flavor, even though Hass is considered a superior variety, which it indisputably is when grown, harvested, and processed properly. 

(Fucking Mexican cartels!  Mexico--where human life has no value.  And I'm not speaking of the vast majority of Mexicans, who are kind, gracious, and generous people--they suffer and die also, especially indigenous people, because no government, army, and law enforcement are more corrupt.  Why are our supermarket chains supporting the cartels?)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 04:14:19 PM by johnb51 »
John

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Homegrown Lula vs. Supermarket (Mexican) Hass
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 03:27:23 PM »
The Lula is a delicious late season Florida avocado but it is a variety that has always suffered from an appearance problem.

It has a scabbing problem...it only affect appearance but in commercial avocado appearance becomes more important than taste

Great source of rootstock....and delicious....high fat content
"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »
This fruit has been clean except for the squirrel marks.
John

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »
Why are our supermarket chains supporting the cartels?

In Australia supermarkets have been exposed as being complicit in farm worker exploitation, more so migrant farm workers, backpackers and those without work visas who exist in the cash economy. The prices and deadlines they set for farm produce drive the exploitation, based on low wages.
There are also organised crime links to aspects such as farm labour contractors, and the cash economy.