Author Topic: Rate these three mangoes in order of your favorite fruit  (Read 985 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Rate these three mangoes in order of your favorite fruit
« on: April 16, 2023, 04:05:10 PM »
As far as taste flavor and aroma how do you rate these three mangoes in order from 1 to 3. Of course one is you're most favorite. I'll list them alphabetically not to show any bias
 Ice Cream
 Little Gem
 White Piri

Yes John 51 I had to sing my alphabet song to get it right. Hopefully!

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/?utm_campaign=88fe4c8a-fe3d-47b3-b5da-90c573a90084&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail&cid=7f793ecd-3196-46e9-8971-39ac4349ba90
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 04:09:38 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rate these three mangoes in order of your favorite fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 08:28:26 PM »
Dam those are all good!Ice cream for me gets very bad MBBS

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 09:36:13 PM »
Dam those are all good!Ice cream for me gets very bad MBBS

Ice Cream is an MBBS magnet and the yield sucks even when it fruits well because of how small the fruit is.

I can only imagine how many Florida home owners have planted Ice Cream trees they bought from Home Depot or whatever and never see fruit from them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 09:39:13 PM by Squam256 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 06:29:30 AM »
Well I deliberately left performance out of the question. Was trying to extract you fellas opinion on your favorite flavor wise that's aroma for the California crew. But since you brought it up I'm very impressed with Little Gem. In my micro climate it blooms consistently has good fruit set and seems overall to be a clean tree. Ice cream on the other hand is the second tree I spray with fungicide after Dot. Little Gem gets the residue if there's any left. But I would really like to hear what you fellows think are the similarities and differences in their taste aroma flavor.

This is what my mother-in-law calls Mr Jim That would be Little Gem for the rest of us
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 08:13:41 AM »
That mister "Jim" is beautiful site.I won't see that till next year on any trees.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2023, 09:33:14 AM »
Nobody don't want no MBBS magnet with low yield unless he has 100 other trees!  >:(  Give it up with that one.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 09:39:31 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2023, 10:24:07 AM »
Nobody don't want no MBBS magnet with low yield unless he has 100 other trees!  >:(  Give it up with that one.
John 51
My ice cream is very clean no anthracnose not even on the tips of the leaves it blooms easily and has nice fruit set. Since I'm not a commercial grower. I think it's worthy of the backyard gardener. The fruit is very delicious looking forward to comparing it to Starch in not too distant future.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2023, 11:30:04 AM »
Of your list, bovine421, I've only had Ice Cream and Lil Gem, and prefer Ice Cream. I have a tree from Lowe's that has given few but clean fruit (it was hit by freezes and a hurricane, so I don't entirely fault the tree), and it will stay.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 11:42:16 AM »
Flavor:
1. White Piri
2. Ice Cream

3. Little Gem

Tree performance:

1. Little Gem

2. White Piri

3. Ice Cream

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2023, 11:50:26 AM »
Flavor:
1. White Piri
2. Ice Cream

3. Little Gem

Tree performance:

1. Little Gem

2. White Piri

3. Ice Cream

spacing says it all, lol

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 07:16:39 PM »
Flavor:
1. White Piri
2. Ice Cream

3. Little Gem

Tree performance:

1. Little Gem

2. White Piri

3. Ice Cream

spacing says it all, lol
Very studious observation roblack.Do you find Ice cream and White piri to be similar flavor profiles

Ice cream

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 08:29:13 PM »
I don't clearly recall the taste of White Piri. Had a few nice Ice Creams last year, definitely very good mango when you have a perfect one in hand.

From the write up on TAF site, gonna add some WP budwood to our garden.

The deciding factor in adding Lil Gem/Little Jim to our garden was the proliferation of tasty and late mangoes last year and year prior, when other varieties weren't doing so welll locally. While not one of my favs taste wise, it was the best and sometimes only fresh mango available later in the season. Remember being quite grateful for LG.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 11:07:25 AM »
Okay I've extracted what I wanted to know I'm going all in with White piri. As I was thinking about this I realized that there's a mango that is very well thought of in St Lucia called mango Pal-wee. It's dawned on me that t sounds very much like Piri. Could be that in Patois Creole slang. What I do know is they say Little gem reminds them of that mango.🤔

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 11:37:30 AM »
White Pirie smokes those other two taste wise, it’s easily a top 10 mango most years, top 5 last year for me. Ice Cream is unique but not even top 25. Lil Gem is very good, but not top 10.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 11:54:54 PM »
Well since the stellier reviews for White Pirie in this thread.. I finally Tracked Down a decent size one. I was able to barter with one of my friends to get his Carrie and White Pirie for my large Pickering Angie and Graham. Long story short I've been doing a lot of digging and lifting always seems to happen in August. Now I have all three of these trees. Little Gem loaded with very late fruit just haven't sweetened up yet but getting there. Ice cream I love that tree and fruit. She's a little needy but well worth the effort. Now I have White Pirie she's about 5 and 1/2 ft tall. So I really got my groove fine-tuned to what I like best. Thanks to the recommendations of the members on this forum that process was made much easier. This forum is a very viable resource🙂

Welcome White Pirie

Graham hasta la vista

Hello Carrie

Pickering you're one heavy dude

Sirenara
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 12:24:09 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 07:59:29 AM »
News flash even when the sun does not pounding you it's a pressingly hot

Carrie and Carrie

White Pirie sun's coming up already feeling like an Inferno

Little Gem

Ice cream
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 08:43:25 AM by bovine421 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk