Author Topic: Jackfruit success stories in SoCal???  (Read 881 times)

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Jackfruit success stories in SoCal???
« on: May 03, 2023, 12:50:29 AM »
Hello fellow gardeners.  I  see some old threads on growing jackfruit in SoCal and it does look like there are some success stories. 

Not a lot of new information on the forum here.  Any updated successes?  Is one variety having better success than others?  I know there were many members talking about this 5-10 years ago so there ought to Bree some good recommendations by now.

Many thanks!

MarktLee

• USA, California, Chula Vista Z24
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit success stories in SoCal???
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 09:58:37 AM »
I've had a "Gold Nugget" growing very big in the ground here in Chula Vista. The only problem is we are too cold all winter for the fruit to size up and ripen properly. The fruit get about football size, but then soften up in spring and drop without fully ripening. There are other places where some varieties do fine in the County. I'm looking for a variety that doesn't need to get very big to ripen properly.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 10:09:14 AM »
Have you tried wrapping the fruit with a heating pad, the long pad used for wrapping a keg for fermentation?

I’m waiting for my seedling to get a fruit to try keeping the fruit warm.

SDPirate

• Chula Vista, Zone 10B Coast/Inland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 02:28:51 PM »
Would they fare better a little more inland you think? Kind of like how mangos will do marginally better inland.  Or is the trade off of lower winter temp dips for warmer days when compared to the coast not worth trying to grow jackfruit?  Wish I could say I knew someone personally here with one but I don't.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 03:13:58 PM »
There's plenty of frost free hillside further inland where it is much hotter, that still gets marine influence at night.

I'd say there's plenty of opportunity for success out here, though all my seeds get eaten by squirrels as quickly as I plant them.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 03:43:41 PM »
I've had a "Gold Nugget" growing very big in the ground here in Chula Vista. The only problem is we are too cold all winter for the fruit to size up and ripen properly. The fruit get about football size, but then soften up in spring and drop without fully ripening. There are other places where some varieties do fine in the County. I'm looking for a variety that doesn't need to get very big to ripen properly.

I checked Chula Vista's weather in winter and doesn't seem bad. Are you saying that cold hurts it even when it doesn't get terribly cold?

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 12:21:37 AM »
I’m near the ocean too so I’m wondering if I’ll get hot enough for long enough … definitely no frost but wondering if there’s a nice variety that we can successfully ripen .  Sure hope so!

MasonG31

• Southern California Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 12:09:25 AM »

Wow Mark.  I think you just convinced me to dig out the jackfruit seedling trees I planted in my front yard.  They’re about 5 years old, about 7 feet tall.  I’m 6 miles from the ocean.  My dream is to harvest a nice big jackfruit in my home yard. Oh well…

SanDiegoCherimoya

• Vista, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 08:23:58 AM »
I’ve seen it work on the top of a south facing hillside just west of the 15.

Ermes

• Italy, Calabria, Lazzaro, 10b/11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 12:23:39 PM »
I live in Italy at 38 N in a very favorable microclimate, where Jackfruit is possible, but not necessarily bears fruits.
A very early small-fruited variety is probably needed.
I'm following the discussion with interest...

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 07:18:51 AM »
Dwarf jacks might stand a better shot. Their fruit is a little smaller and faster to develop. Grafted minis can be fruiting quickly and at a short stature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk