Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Che (mandarin melon berry) Maclura tricuspidata

(1/11) > >>

FlyingFoxFruits:
I got my grafted trees from Treesnmore, (Seedless variety on Osage orange rootstock)

here is some info from Just fruits and exotics, another wonderful nursery that sells Che. (they say it's not flood tolerant, but I planted osage orange in the wettest part of my lot, and it's thriving...so as long as you get eventual drainage, I think you can plant che/ grafted onto osage orange....my lot has standing water for days...but always drains eventually...and the water table is about 2.5-4ft down.)
http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/JF%20Che.pdf

I'm planting more of these asap!  I needed something unique and easy to grow (cold hearty, and drought/flood tolerant)

edself65:
Che grafted onto Osage Orange can tolerate all kinds of abuse! I'm not sure how flood tolerant che is on its own root but avoid growing them on their own roots because of the excessive suckers. All female che trees without a male tree present are seedless. If you want seeds get a male. The only issue is the female trees take about 3 to 5 years to produce a good crop. It is worth the wait for the nice seedless fruit. Do not pull the fruit from the tree. If it doesn't come off with a gentle pull give it another day. If you pull the fruit off with force it will be dripping sap and will not taste good.

Bush2Beach:
Thanks for the info Ed! I have 5 four year old tree's from seed and it looks like some Male, some Female. These thorny bastards are getting big enough to fruit I hope. They have taken drought and abuse well and now I'm babying them to let them know it's their time to shine. I'll post pics on any flower / fruit progress.

Jsvand5:

--- Quote from: FlyingFoxFruits on May 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM ---I got my grafted trees from Treesnmore, (Seedless variety on Osage orange rootstock)

here is some info from Just fruits and exotics, another wonderful nursery that sells Che. (they say it's not flood tolerant, but I planted osage orange in the wettest part of my lot, and it's thriving...so as long as you get eventual drainage, I think you can plant che/ grafted onto osage orange....my lot has standing water for days...but always drains eventually...and the water table is about 2.5-4ft down.)

I'm planting more of these asap!  I needed something unique and easy to grow (cold hearty, and drought/flood tolerant)

--- End quote ---

How big are the ones from treesnmore? I'm looking for some instant gratification. The ones I have now are about a foot tall.

FlyingFoxFruits:
don't be buying up my grafted Che's from Treesnmo before I get there!

we might have to get into a cat fight in the parking lot... :P

oh by the way, they are about 1.5-2ft tall last time I checked.

(I'm trying to head down there soon, maybe I can pick one up for you?  I planned on getting at least 4-5)

--- Quote from: Jsvand5 on May 05, 2015, 02:39:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: FlyingFoxFruits on May 04, 2015, 07:36:19 PM ---I got my grafted trees from Treesnmore, (Seedless variety on Osage orange rootstock)

--- End quote ---

How big are the ones from treesnmore? I'm looking for some instant gratification. The ones I have now are about a foot tall.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version