Author Topic: best time to train-prune young Tamarind?  (Read 536 times)

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
best time to train-prune young Tamarind?
« on: January 12, 2021, 08:12:32 PM »
I made a mistake and bought a young sour Tamarind that has a main trunk that separates into two vertical branches going straight up. Basically, like a tuning fork or wishbone. problem is, I now realize as the tree grows, I'll get occluded bark and a weaker tree. So i want to trim one of the forks off, but not sure when the best time is to do so.

It's a young tree. The trunk caliper is about an inch+ thick. So, by doing this I'd be literally removing almost half the tree. Currently, it still has leaves, as I'm in a place where it hasn't quite gotten cold enough for the tree to go dormant.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: best time to train-prune young Tamarind?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:48:56 PM »
The sooner you prune it the better. The longer you let it grow the bigger the wound will be and the longer it will take to heal. If it takes too long to heal it may introduced rot into the trunk.

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
Re: best time to train-prune young Tamarind?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:03:12 PM »
Sorry, let me clarify my question better. I meant, do I prune it at the beginning of winter, or beginning of Spring, etcetera. For the same reasons. I know some plants are best pruned right before the start of spring. the tree's not going to grow that much over winter that I need to worry about the wound size being bigger.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:04:52 PM by turpentyne »