Author Topic: Finding tropical fruit nurseries...  (Read 1703 times)

Acoalwell

• United States, West Virginia, zone 6
    • View Profile
Finding tropical fruit nurseries...
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:47 AM »
Hey everyone!

I lIve in the WV panhandle. My birthday is coming up and I was considering driving South and checking out some tropical plant nurseries, since I can never find much in the way of tropical plants in my area. I'm just wondering how far South I need to go. NC, SC, FL? Which nurseries even open during winter and COVID?

I'm open to suggestions for where to visit. I intend to drive so I can bring plants home with me, and from what I'm looking out I'll need to drive 15+ hours.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Finding tropical fruit nurseries...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
For tropical fruit like mango, lychee, etc. you will need to drive at least to the Orlando/Tampa area. Jene's Tropicals in st. Pete and Our kids tropicals in Orlando are good choices. Jene's is probably my go to if buying trees for the first time because of the large variety of fruit trees available. What fruit trees are you looking to buy? I have been to both since Covid started and they are still open. As you go further south, there are more nurseries to choose from.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
Al's Fruit Trees in Miami and Fruitscapes on Pine Island (Bokeelia). 
- Rob

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 02:08:17 PM »
For tropical fruit like mango, lychee, etc. you will need to drive at least to the Orlando/Tampa area. Jene's Tropicals in st. Pete and Our kids tropicals in Orlando are good choices. Jene's is probably my go to if buying trees for the first time because of the large variety of fruit trees available. What fruit trees are you looking to buy? I have been to both since Covid started and they are still open. As you go further south, there are more nurseries to choose from.

I'm mostly just looking for variety, so that sounds great!

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
Additionally- any suggestions for where to buy fresh tropical fruits in the Orlando or Tampa areas?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »
I'm open to suggestions for where to visit. I intend to drive so I can bring plants home with me, and from what I'm looking out I'll need to drive 15+ hours.

Don't forget to check out Just Fruits & Exotics in Crawfordville, FL.  It's just SW a few miles outside Tallahassee proper.  That could maybe save you a few hours of drivetime if they have what you are looking for.

JF&E offers many things suitable for zone 9a and cooler.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »

Don't forget to check out Just Fruits & Exotics in Crawfordville, FL.  It's just SW a few miles outside Tallahassee proper.  That could maybe save you a few hours of drivetime if they have what you are looking for.

JF&E offers many things suitable for zone 9a and cooler.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Awesome, thank you!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:09:49 PM »
Hey everyone!

I lIve in the WV panhandle. My birthday is coming up and I was considering driving South and checking out some tropical plant nurseries, since I can never find much in the way of tropical plants in my area. I'm just wondering how far South I need to go. NC, SC, FL? Which nurseries even open during winter and COVID?

North Carolina? No. South Carolina? No. I think your only option is Florida. If I was you I would wait until March but start making your phone calls now and make a list of what you want. Next You should get your grow room ready and your watering system together. At least think through, "How am I going to keep these plants Alive in the Winter?" I spent years killing plants before it dawned on me .."Winter is coming". Focus on subtropicals and bulletproof plants.

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
CarolinaZone- that's completely fair. However, I already have about 30 varieties of tropical fruit plants growing in a room in my basement with grow lights, a heater, heat pads for seeds, and a humidifier. They did okay over last winter, and I've adapted it and they're doing even better this year. I even have a watering system set up for when I go on vacation, although usually I just use two five gallon buckets and a measuring cup.

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 07:33:03 PM »
Also check out “A Natural Farm”, just outside NW Orlando, FL.

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 08:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 09:33:47 PM »
you might want to consider online nurseries, there are a few that ship.

Acoalwell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »
Charlie23 Yes, and I intend to buy from them once it's summer. Unfortunately, where I am it is too cold to have plants shipped right now.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2021, 07:37:28 PM »
Charlie23 Yes, and I intend to buy from them once it's summer. Unfortunately, where I am it is too cold to have plants shipped right now.
Trust me on this. I you have the time ride you will get bigger and better quality plants if you go for a visit. I have never been disappointed with a plant that I picked out my self. Your plant will have less stress traveling with you in a car. Buy a hard sided golf case or a surfcase and you can fly your plants back.

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 09:39:02 PM »
You may check out Edible Landscaping in Virginia instead...