Author Topic: Pomelo in the snow  (Read 1321 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Pomelo in the snow
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:02:01 PM »
I was watching a video of wool being harvested in rural part of China, and one of the screen shots in the video caught my eye. There was what appeared to be a pomelo tree with large size yellow fruits that were covered in snow/frost. Two of the fruits were then harvested. The other nature screen shots showed what appeared to be something between snow and frost on the ground, lightly covering everything.

I looked in the comment section of the video and someone asked where this was. Someone responded Chuan Bei, North of Sichuan.

The video can be seen on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/cnliziqi/status/1211582452428263425?lang=en

It's also one of @cnliziqi 's videos on TikTok.

Video is also on YouTube, "(羊羔毛斗篷)Weave a lamb wool cape for the freezing winter|Liziqi Channel "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvmC-leoj9U

Now, the first thing that comes to mind, could those be Ichang lemons?
They appear to look more like pomelos to me, with the oblong pomelo shape. And they are definitely as big as Chinese-style pomelos (youzi 柚子).
The leaf shape shows a very small petiole. Which looks more similar to the leaves of my pomelo than my Ichang lemon plant.

The video is also kind of interesting, although the pomelos are just one quick scene.

I'm looking on a map and Chuanbei appears to be just south of Ziyang, which is a little south of Chengdu.

I'm comparing to the official climate zone map and that appears to be in zone 10a, very close to the border of 9b.
But from the video, it looks like this is up in the mountains, so maybe the plant zone map does not fully take the local elevation into account (it is a very generalized map with wide swaths, probably would not show local variations in small areas).

I don't think zone 10a would have frost like that (unless things are very different in China), so I think we can assume this is more probably in zone 9.

I'm now looking at another climate zone map and Ziyang appears just a little north of the 30 degree parallel line, and that latitude line is just a little north of the border between zone 10a and 9b, putting Ziyang clearly just on the other side in zone 9b.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/50301000/Graphics/Climate_china.pdf
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 09:17:48 PM by SoCal2warm »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Pomelo in the snow
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 08:09:39 PM »
That’s really meet to see a healthy citrus loaded with fruit in what appears to be a rather cold climate. The people were wearing heavy coats, so it was probably colder than 32 degrees F for a while there. Who knows exactly which citrus it was. The fruit looks pretty big of Ichang lemon to me, but I could be wrong.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 04:41:00 AM »
I have watched several of her videos, I like the atmosphere they have . If I am not fooling myself I think she has a video on which she cover more on this citrus, think she was making some kind of jam with it and was calling it pomello. It looks like pomello to me too .

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »
but for me the video looks very "produced". It does not seem to be a documentation.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 08:08:56 PM »
When I was in South Korea in Jeju Island they grow citrus where it snows...saw pictures of oranges in the snow.(normally tropical, but during the winter it is not uncommon to get some snow)They are famous for their satsumas and the soil there is very good for growing citrus as there used to be an active volcano on the island.